• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Draft [LW] Alexis Lafreniere in 1st Rd. (1st) Pick

Drew a Penalty

Yeah, his total absence in a lot of games is crazy. I get it that he's 19 and playing in the league for the first time. But, while you don't expect him to set the league on fire, the number of games where you don't even know if he's playing or not is really alarming. I didn't expect 60 points or something, but I expected to see someone more involved and engaged at least some of the time.

That's what happens when you have the players playing "not to make mistakes". Again, too many young forwards over thinking every thing the do on the ice. This kid is a natural talent, now he second guesses all of his on-ice decisions.

That's what happens when you have the players playing "not to make mistakes". Again, too many young forwards over thinking every thing the do on the ice. This kid is a natural talent, now he second guesses all of his on-ice decisions.
He treats the puck like a hot potato. He's not thinking anything. He's not overthinking, he isn't even thinking.

He treats the puck like a hot potato. He's not thinking anything. He's not overthinking, he isn't even thinking.

No, he is thinking. That's why they hot potato the puck. That's why they have a hitch in their first step. It's why they pass into skates.

No, he is thinking. That's why they hot potato the puck. That's why they have a hitch in their first step. It's why they pass into skates.

Simple article discussing this

https://www.hockeyshot.com/blogs/training-academy/just-play

If you are a hockey player, you know that overthinking on the ice causes problems. Too many thoughts lead to hesitation, confusion and a lack of uncertainty in your abilities on the ice.

hen you pass through the gate from the bench to the ice or jump over the boards, you are now in the "Play Box" where your supercomputer or subconscious is in charge. You are on autopilot trusting your instincts, experience and training. Once you get into the Play Box (the ice), keep one thought in the thinking brain to get things started in a positive way – and then just play and allow the subconscious to run the show.

Simple article discussing this

https://www.hockeyshot.com/blogs/training-academy/just-play

Nah. If he were overthinking he'd be holding the puck, making bad decisions, etc. He's not doing any of that, he gets rid of the puck as soon as he gets it.

I do agree that he might be doing that because he's scared to make a mistake. The reason why that distinction is important and makes me nervous is that if the only alternative to making a mistake is not having the puck at all, he's not a very confident player. And that's not something Quinn did to him, that's been him from day one.

• 2 years later...

Pretty simple, he's a flat out bust. Completely unable to generate his own offence. He's 216 games in, and his identity is 3rd wheel on a 3rd line. Forechecks hard when interested, and can finish chances 5 feet from net and in. 

Can play annoying, but it rings hollow as any opponent can simply ask why he's a 3rd line pseudo-pest and hasn't even accomplished what Patrick Stefan did, rendering him instantly emasculated.

Woof.

Is a better skater than Kakko, but so is my 14 year old bantam house league stud.

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

He can't help who he is, I just don't want him on the team anymore. I don't hate him, but he needs to move on. He's just really not good at anything related to hockey. 

I hate thinking this let alone posting it, but the moment he’s traded, I bet he turns into a shining fucking star lol. 

13 minutes ago, Pete said:

He can't help who he is, I just don't want him on the team anymore. I don't hate him, but he needs to move on. He's just really not good at anything related to hockey. 

Exactly how I feel. An obvious change of scenery candidate, but the issue is his value has plummeted from untouchable to unwanted. Should have moved the pick at draft, should have dealt him after Y1, and Y2. It was never coming, there's no skillz to dream on. They have 25 talent evaluators, and I can't wait to find out who spoke up (in 10 years, I'm sure we'll find out).

Some may use the old, "The Rangers always fuck up young players, they don't know how to develop" mantra. While that still may be true, I just don't think Lafreniere is all that good. Maybe a change of scenery does him good, and he goes somewhere else and does well, but it won't be like first overall status kind of play still. He's decent in the offensive zone, but only when getting help. He's physical only once in awhile. The puck is basically a grenade on his stick, he can't dump it in fast enough. Occasionally he can dish it, but for the most part, he just doesn't do anything well.

I think Kakko has done well for himself this year and has definitely grown as a player. But looking at what our top two picks are is a grim reality, and really, just devastating for this organization. What's going to happen if these players are still and not very good when Zibanejad and Panarin aren't in their primes anymore?

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

4 hours ago, Dunny said:

Exactly how I feel. An obvious change of scenery candidate, but the issue is his value has plummeted from untouchable to unwanted. Should have moved the pick at draft, should have dealt him after Y1, and Y2. It was never coming, there's no skillz to dream on. They have 25 talent evaluators, and I can't wait to find out who spoke up (in 10 years, I'm sure we'll find out).

Yea, I mean it was one thing to draft him based on consensus, but to keep him? They know who he is, to your point there's not more skill developing there. He's been the same guy since he was drafted. He hasn't gotten any better, at any thing. At least Kakko and Chytil have shown slow improvement.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1

42 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Who in the organization is looking at Lafraniere and seeing something in him that most of us fans don't see?

Not me, and I feel like I've been one of his biggest supporters. He's a standard 3LW that can chip in offense. Biggest 1OA disappointment in decades IMO. Rather clear him out for a true middle-6 potential player if Othmann or Cuylle need the space to make the next step, and cut our losses. And it sucks. 

• Like 1