• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2020 NHL Entry Draft: Lafreniere SZN — 7:00 PM EST, NBCSN

Phil

Lapierre also had three concussions and neck problems before he's played a single NHL game. Buyer beware. Zary and Bourque, I'd buy, but both went well after the Rangers' pick. The Devils, Blue Jackets, Capitals, and Flyers all passed on Zary, and the Avs, Blues, Ducks, Senators and Knights all passed on Bourque.

Your characterization is also pretty short, IMO. He's more than a "bruising D." McIlrath was a bruising D (who brought basically nothing else). Read the reports on Schneider. He's basically a really safe NHL pick who'll probably play a ton of games because he's just plain good at his role.

But the thing is, it's a lot easier to get a D that'll slot anywhere from 3-6 because of his all around game than it is a potential elite diamond in the rough so to speak. My philosophy with a late 1st/esrly 2nd is that if there is someone still on the board that has a borderline elite skill set, I swing for the fences and hope you knock one out. You can get a 3!4 D elsewhere in the draft/league. Just think it's a missed opportunity. Harder to find a potential top 6 forward.

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cant disagree with anything you said. but there is clearly a strategy that's being implemented and that's what makes it so fun to watch. i'm seeing many teams potentially helping themselves as well which tells me even if everything we do works out its still going to be damn hard to lift that 35 lbs of silver.

loved the strategy that lead to 94 but that was nothing more than stockpiling the edmonton dynasty. first time in my 53 years i've seen the rangers act like this and i'm on board. good karma here.

Trust me fingers crossed that we're on a path to being a contender just don't think it's a slam dunk, still lots of potential potholes. Anxious to see what JD/Gorton do on the FA market and hoping they move out a couple off guys of the current roster.

But the thing is, it's a lot easier to get a D that'll slot anywhere from 3-6 because of his all around game than it is a potential elite diamond in the rough so to speak. My philosophy with a late 1st/esrly 2nd is that if there is someone still on the board that has a borderline elite skill set, I swing for the fences and hope you knock one out. You can get a 3!4 D elsewhere in the draft/league. Just think it's a missed opportunity. Harder to find a potential top 6 forward.

Sure. I generally agree with this. I wouldn't have personally taken Schneider. I just don't think his pick is worth the fuss. Especially because he was their second first-round pick.

We're getting to the point where I'd draft Antonio Stranges. He was underwhelming this season, but he was a top pick going into 19-20. That's good value if he gets it together and they could use a center in the system.

I was actually hoping for Alex Laferriere but he just went to LA. Would have been a great mindfuck for Sam...if he is still doing the broadcast in a few years.

I'm going to say that the Rangers draft an American with the 92nd pick.

Are there any prospects from the Hartford area? They have to find a way to make that program a true development program. It's not like any of these guys should be breaking the line up in the next 6, 7 years.

I was actually hoping for Alex Laferriere but he just went to LA. Would have been a great mindfuck for Sam...if he is still doing the broadcast in a few years.

The guys name is seriously Alex Laferriere? Must've legally changed his name at some point on the off-chance he'd be mistakenly called out as the #1 pick in the draft :rofl: