• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2020 NHL Entry Draft: Lafreniere SZN — 7:00 PM EST, NBCSN

Phil

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They still have plenty of picks left anyway, and there are centers to be had in the later rounds, so we'll see. I don't hate the pick by means, though. He was one of the last best available defenseman left in the first round and NJ was definitely going to take him after already drafting a winger and a center with their two other picks.

I don't think you can ever have too many good, tough defenseman, Sharpy! LOL

I like this pick, and it seems as though the Rangers put a little crimp in the plans of the Devils with it. NJ went defense as well, but further down the board a bit. So I think the Devs were going with Schneider as well! ...or so it looked to me.

I don't think you can ever have too many good, tough defenseman, Sharpy! LOL

I like this pick, and it seems as though the Rangers put a little crimp in the plans of the Devils with it. NJ went defense as well, but further down the board a bit. So I think the Devs were going with Schneider as well! ...or so it looked to me.

If anything they are much deeper on defense, so yeah, can't complain. Like I said I don't hate the pick at all, I just thought they'd take a center. But, there's more rounds and free agency, so whatever. Schneider is still 2-3 years away from even being in the discussion anyway.

Picking defensive defensman is boring as hell... Like when your NFL team picks O Lineman in the 1st quite often.. BORING.... Then your O Line is awesome and you run around praising how smart your GM is.. I wanted a C, but man would it be nice to have the terms "Rangers" and "excellent defensive team" be actively used in the same sentence again.
  • Like 1

Picking defensive defensman is boring as hell... Like when your NFL team picks O Lineman in the 1st quite often.. BORING.... Then your O Line is awesome and you run around praising how smart your GM is.. I wanted a C, but man would it be nice to have the terms "Rangers" and "excellent defensive team" be actively used in the same sentence again.

Yeah, their defense hasn't been great in quite some time. He sounds like a Staal type of defenseman who hits more which certainly isn't a bad thing. I don't know. Like I said, I don't hate having him in the organization, I just don't think it's someone I would've traded up to pick.

The problem is Zary and LaPierre we’re both still out there. Nothing wrong with a bruising D, but there still were two pretty high end F on the board.

Lapierre also had three concussions and neck problems before he's played a single NHL game. Buyer beware. Zary and Bourque, I'd buy, but both went well after the Rangers' pick. The Devils, Blue Jackets, Capitals, and Flyers all passed on Zary, and the Avs, Blues, Ducks, Senators and Knights all passed on Bourque.

Your characterization is also pretty short, IMO. He's more than a "bruising D." McIlrath was a bruising D (who brought basically nothing else). Read the reports on Schneider. He's basically a really safe NHL pick who'll probably play a ton of games because he's just plain good at his role.

Lapierre also had three concussions and neck problems before he's played a single NHL game. Buyer beware. Zary and Bourque, I'd buy, but both went well after the Rangers' pick. The Devils, Blue Jackets, Capitals, and Flyers all passed on bot, and the Avs, Blues, Ducks, Senators and Knights all passed on Bourque.

Your characterization is also pretty short, IMO. He's more than a "bruising D." McIlrath was a bruising D (who brought basically nothing else). Read the reports on Schneider. He's basically a really safe NHL pick who'll probably play a ton of games because he's just plain good at his role.

I mean, that's really not an indicator of anything.

Lapierre also had three concussions and neck problems before he's played a single NHL game. Buyer beware. Zary and Bourque, I'd buy, but both went well after the Rangers' pick. The Devils, Blue Jackets, Capitals, and Flyers all passed on bot, and the Avs, Blues, Ducks, Senators and Knights all passed on Bourque.

Potentially a Staal-like defenseman, maybe even better. It's still a good selection overall.

I also don't think the Rangers are done yet. There's still some drafting, wheeling and dealing to be done here. Building assets is the way to go for now I believe with this team, and this kid is a great example of where they're going for the future. Lothbrook said it best, "I feel there is a plan". I think he's right and I believe in this management team.

I'm very curious to see what we do the rest of the draft.

I mean, that's really not an indicator of anything.

Sure it is. They all passed on "pretty high-end Fs," too. The Devils and Jackets, according to multiple prospect scouts, made wildly off board picks. Worse even than the Rangers, who simply took a guy they liked higher than he projected to go. He was almost certainly going in the first round.

I can agree that moving up to take a player with not a lot of upside isn't necessarily great draft strategy. I can't agree they made a mistake taking what appears to be a sure-fire NHL defenseman because they left potentially more offensively gifted players on the table when so did nine other teams.

Sure it is. They all passed on "pretty high-end Fs," too. The Devils and Jackets, according to multiple prospect scouts, made wildly off board picks. Worse even than the Rangers, who simply took a guy they liked higher than he projected to go. He was almost certainly going in the first round.

I can agree that moving up to take a player with not a lot of upside isn't necessarily great draft strategy. I can't agree they made a mistake taking what appears to be a sure-fire NHL defenseman because they left potentially more offensively gifted players on the table when so did nine other teams.

Teams passing on players means nothing. 20-something teams passed on Luc Robitaille 8 times each. Nik Lidstrom was drafted 53rd overall. Erik Gudbranson, Brett Connolly, Alex Burmistrov, McIlrath, Mikail Granlund, Brandon Gormley, and Derek Forbort were all drafted before Vlad Tarasenko.

I just think "other teams passed" is a horrible argument. It just means more teams have a chance to be wrong.

"Beating NJ" is not the goal LOL.

Like I said in the other thread, last time we drafted a player to keep another team from getting him, we ended up with Sanguinetti and they got Giroux.

Are you saying the Rangers should not move up to take somebody in the draft because the last time you think it happened it didn?t work out?

Seems like a simple case of Rangers having Schneider as BPA and not wanting to risk losing him over a 3rd rounder. The more I read about the kid, the more I like him.

Schneider was taken exactly in the range where he was expected to go. Colin Cudmore has a good draft aggregate of 50 mocks.

Screen-Shot-2020-10-07-at-10-27-10-AM.png

Link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OvqeFRKA2gWqCITfd1aNJ0zt9H2o0pHBNn-Dkv2eNQY/edit?usp=sharing

Are you saying the Rangers should not move up to take somebody in the draft because the last time you think it happened it didn’t work out?

Seems like a simple case of Rangers having Schneider as BPA and not wanting to risk losing him over a 3rd rounder. The more I read about the kid, the more I like him.

What I'm saying is "Beating NJ" is not the goal LOL.

Like I said in the other thread, last time we drafted a player to keep another team from getting him, we ended up with Sanguinetti and they got Giroux.

Teams passing on players means nothing. 20-something teams passed on Luc Robitaille 8 times each. Nik Lidstrom was drafted 53rd overall. Erik Gudbranson, Brett Connolly, Alex Burmistrov, McIlrath, Mikail Granlund, Brandon Gormley, and Derek Forbort were all drafted before Vlad Tarasenko.

I just think "other teams passed" is a horrible argument. It just means more teams have a chance to be wrong.

Hindsight is always 20-20. Other teams passed is only horrible when you know what the player becomes, not before. Remember Tolvanen and the world of shit the Rangers got for not taking him with the Chytil pick in '17? They were also lampooned for leaving Klim Kostin on the board.

That other teams passed, in the moment, is an indication that you're not the only one who doesn't see the "can't miss" others do.

What I'm saying is "Beating NJ" is not the goal LOL.

Who cares that it was the Devils we felt we needed to jump? We will never know for sure, but it has been widely speculated that Schneider was the Devils pick. If you know that information and like Schneider you have to make the move. Schneider may have been our targeted pick at #22 all along.

Cherry picking situations from the past that you think apply to the current situation is really meaningless. Gorton and JD know what they are doing and were privy to a lot more information than any of us will ever be.

This should really be end of story. Maybe it was a little high, but it wasn't a reach by any means.

Right. And to anyone saying "He'd have been there in the second." We don't know that. Both the Devils and Avalanche reached on their defensemen. Either could've been compensating because they lost their man in Schneider.

This is an especially weak draft for defensemen. The Rangers saw their man and got him. I'm okay with that especially given how well they've scouted defensemen of late. There's still a significant crop of talented forwards left. Acquire a 2nd or another 3rd and you can get one of them.

Right. And to anyone saying "He'd have been there in the second." We don't know that. Both the Devils and Avalanche reached on their defensemen. Either could've been compensating because they lost their man in Schneider.

This is an especially weak draft for defensemen. The Rangers saw their man and got him. I'm okay with that especially given how well they've scouted defensemen of late. There's still a significant crop of talented forwards left. Acquire a 2nd or another 3rd and you can get one of them.

Plus the Rangers don't have a second!!!