• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Capitals are Front Runners to Sign Henrik Lundqvist

Lord Al

That would make sense both ways. WSH would get capable vet on affordable deal to platoon/push burgeoning No. 1 Ilya Samsonov, who?s only 23. Lundqvist would get good chance to play decent number of games on a team with a chance to contend. And in the Metro Division, no less. [emoji6]

? Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie) October 6,

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think either Colorado or Vegas make the most sense for Hank. They are both teams that are extremely close to winning it all. I don't see the caps in that spot right now.

Gets to stay relatively close to home, and they are only a couple of seasons removed from a cup. won the division this year. I think they are definitely still in play as a contender. Maybe Avs and Knights are more primed and ready so to speak but then he has to move out west, which im assuming factors in to his decision

Gets to stay relatively close to home, and they are only a couple of seasons removed from a cup. won the division this year. I think they are definitely still in play as a contender. Maybe Avs and Knights are more primed and ready so to speak but then he has to move out west, which im assuming factors in to his decision

If its for a year, does it really matter where he lives for a couple of months? At his age, he needs to go to a place that is ready now to win and who is the closest to winning it.

Would be really strange seeing Lundqvist in a Capitals jersey after he was largely responsible for preventing them from having several deep playoff runs.

He would do well there. Samsonov is their future but we aren't talking about a stud he'd be buried behind. Ovy and him would be pretty cool together after all these years of rivalry and I think it would fit better for Hank going to a team where he isn't the biggest name on the roster. It would absolutely suck facing them in the playoffs though if it came to that.

Washington would be the same situation as here, I don't get it. Why would he want to be the backup there?

This is what I was going to post. They're just as high on Samsonov as we are on Shesterkin. He would be in the same role with a goalie who's been in the league longer than Shesterkin so I would imagine he would have gotten more games here than there. I don't see this making sense.

He would do well there. Samsonov is their future but we aren't talking about a stud he'd be buried behind. Ovy and him would be pretty cool together after all these years of rivalry and I think it would fit better for Hank going to a team where he isn't the biggest name on the roster. It would absolutely suck facing them in the playoffs though if it came to that.

I can see why he would want to go to Washington from a personal logistics point of view. But professionally, if he wants a Cup, it's a terrible idea. Washington has been steadily declining after their SC win and I see them struggling to get out of the second round next year.

I can see why he would want to go to Washington from a personal logistics point of view. But professionally, if he wants a Cup, it's a terrible idea. Washington has been steadily declining after their SC win and I see them struggling to get out of the second round next year.

Yeah but from Hanks perspective, any team with Ovy, Backstrom, Kuz, Wilson, Oshie, and Carlson aren't far off from a cup. They still were a team at the top of the Metro with Holtby playing a majority as good as an AHL goalie. Adding him when he believes he still can play (which he can) only makes them better than what they were last year. They are on the decline, but its a slow one.

I don't see how he really succeeds there. He's going to be fighting with (and probably losing to) Samsonov for starts and the Capitals' defense isn't exactly stalwart, though maybe that changes under Laviolette.

Laviolette was hired to get Ovi to another Cup before he retires.A hard ass coach who owes Lundqvist nothing is not going to be happy if he plays the way he did here the last 3 seasons. Don't pretend to know what kind of fanbase the Caps have, but he will have no goodwill with them like he had here. He isn't The King in DC, just a goalie they will want to see perform well. Since NYR are picking up the tab , they aren't going to sit around and give him time to get his act together, they'll play another goalie. Since the Caps will be paying him roughly minimum, there's no financial downside to sending him packing if he cannot do the job.