• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Capitals are Front Runners to Sign Henrik Lundqvist

Lord Al

Laviolette was hired to get Ovi to another Cup before he retires.A hard ass coach who owes Lundqvist nothing is not going to be happy if he plays the way he did here the last 3 seasons. Don't pretend to know what kind of fanbase the Caps have, but he will have no goodwill with them like he had here. He isn't The King in DC, just a goalie they will want to see perform well. Since NYR are picking up the tab , they aren't going to sit around and give him time to get his act together, they'll play another goalie. Since the Caps will be paying him roughly minimum, there's no financial downside to sending him packing if he cannot do the job.
The last 3 seasons? What?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last 3 seasons? What?

Did you like all those early goals and soft goals? And was paying the #3 goalie this season $8 million+ a cherished memory? Or when Cam Talbot and then Anti Raanta outplayed him? Grant you there were times his defense hung him out to dry but Lundqvist was not very good lately. That will happen with age. Father Time never gets beat. Which is how you get to see stars finish badly like Willie Mays with the Mets, or Johnny Unitas with the Chargers.If Lundqvist resurrects his career he will be bucking the trend.

Laviolette was hired to get Ovi to another Cup before he retires.A hard ass coach who owes Lundqvist nothing is not going to be happy if he plays the way he did here the last 3 seasons. Don't pretend to know what kind of fanbase the Caps have, but he will have no goodwill with them like he had here. He isn't The King in DC, just a goalie they will want to see perform well. Since NYR are picking up the tab , they aren't going to sit around and give him time to get his act together, they'll play another goalie. Since the Caps will be paying him roughly minimum, there's no financial downside to sending him packing if he cannot do the job.

This is a weird statement I think. If they sign him, it’s because they believe in him to contribute. Thry aren’t signing him with the concept of saying “Hank you’re on thin ice buddy. Don’t give me this shit or we will cut your ass” like treatment.

This is a weird statement I think. If they sign him, it’s because they believe in him to contribute. Thry aren’t signing him with the concept of saying “Hank you’re on thin ice buddy. Don’t give me this shit or we will cut your ass” like treatment.

In the same way the cap disfigures everything it touches(another day, another thread), there's no real downside for the Caps.If he has an late career revival, that's a big win on ice and on your bottom line. But if he is really shot makes it way easier to cut bait or barely play him. That's not out of the realm of possibility.

Did you like all those early goals and soft goals? And was paying the #3 goalie this season $8 million+ a cherished memory? Or when Cam Talbot and then Anti Raanta outplayed him? Grant you there were times his defense hung him out to dry but Lundqvist was not very good lately. That will happen with age. Father Time never gets beat. Which is how you get to see stars finish badly like Willie Mays with the Mets, or Johnny Unitas with the Chargers.If Lundqvist resurrects his career he will be bucking the trend.
Super long post. Cool.

He wasn't bad for 3 seasons.

Statistically if you look at the numbers, from 2013/14 spare the one season of Ondrej Pavelic, Lundquist by the numbers was the inferior goalie on his own team as per GAA and Save Pct. That is a pretty big sample. damn, may be overpaying a goalie so you cannot fill other holes is bad. I watched the same games you did, those where it looked like he gave up goals early, gave up goals right after a NYR goal and gave up shitbag goals. M$G shows about his cool masks and his friendship with John McEnroe don't get you any points in the standings.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/l/lundqhe01.html

Statistically if you look at the numbers, from 2013/14 spare the one season of Ondrej Pavelic, Lundquist by the numbers was the inferior goalie on his own team as per GAA and Save Pct. That is a pretty big sample. damn, may be overpaying a goalie so you cannot fill other holes is bad. I watched the same games you did, those where it looked like he gave up goals early, gave up goals right after a NYR goal and gave up shitbag goals. M$G shows about his cool masks and his friendship with John McEnroe don't get you any points in the standings.

Maybe look up his high danger save percentage and saves above expected.

He had a bad year and a half, tops.

It's almost like he got all of the tougher matchups and his backups also had smaller sample sizes.

It's almost like he got all of the tougher matchups and his backups also had smaller sample sizes.

Gentlemen: Gave you some numbers. As to getting the better teams or the top goalies or high danger save Pct., by all means, have at it. Let's see those numbers. Willing to listen.

Gentlemen: Gave you some numbers. As to getting the better teams or the top goalies or high danger save Pct., by all means, have at it. Let's see those numbers. Willing to listen.
I got to be honest, judging by the comments in the thread regarding the greatest ranger and how you view goal tending, I don't think we'll ever see eye to eye. So I'm not going to go through the trouble of lining up the data.

I got to be honest, judging by the comments in the thread regarding the greatest ranger and how you view goal tending, I don't think we'll ever see eye to eye. So I'm not going to go through the trouble of lining up the data.

Would you be anything but honest? Very well.

Why are you bringing Brian Leetch into this?

I mean we can just say in terms of wins and save %, Henrik is tied for 14th for most playoff wins in NHL history. He’s also tied for 8th in NHL history save % with 50+ nhl playoff games (just throwing out a number that’s a plateau). If you go 100 nhl playoff games, he jumps to 2nd all time save % behind Hasek.

I still maintain Leetch is the best, but Henrik was pretty damn special on teams where he was asked to carry his team most games. Rangers in Henrik's time rarely rolled teams. Even when they won, they did so based largely on who played goal.

I'd rather he have gone to the Avs. Washington is still a really good team and a contender, I just would have preferred Colorado. That's probably because I like them a lot more. lol Plus, I also think they have a bigger window of winning the Cup than Washington does right now. But, I do think hiring Laviolette is the change behind the bench they need.