• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Qualify Ryan Strome; Still Have Big Decision Regarding Long-Term Future

Scott

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just think he would be hurting himself. Playing with Panarin isn't such a bad deal especially if it helps him build his numbers heading into the following season. However he's human and that's easy to say from here so who knows.
He countered my point that Strome might sulk. He won't get to sulk because he'll be playing for his next contract.

He countered my point that Strome might sulk. He won't get to sulk because he'll be playing for his next contract.
Oh, just saw.

Yea, if you've ever heard any interview with Strome, he's happy to be in the NHL and he's not sulking.

Agreed, Keirik...and I'll go as far as to bet they have a back up plan if he isn't part of the team this year.

I actually like Strome though, and would like to see him again this season. He worked really well with Panarin, and there's something to be said about their chemistry together.....I know it's all about cost and term though, so we'll see how it shakes out. Either way, I think we're covered though ;)

I don?t mind Strome. He performed here and technically in Long Island too previously. Does he take bad penalties? Sure but if he?s nearly a ppg player he gets a pass. Panarin is a beast but Strome gets plenty of points for who he is too. He?s a former first rounder for a reason. Fast didn?t become a ppg player playing with Panarin. We keep dismissing him as if he?s just some AHLer that is riding bread mans junk which is just not true.

He did ok in regular season, but playoffs... needed much more out of him! Yes I know we needed more from everyone else too.

If you can’t perform In playoffs you can’t have the cup.

I know we tried trading him, no one wants him. Jus get what ever you can for him and upgrade at what’s it’s going to cost.

The sooner we cut the loses the better.

50 points in his second year in the league without Panarin.

The lack of a trade has little to do with what GMs think of him and more to do with Gorton actually tipping his hand a bit, him being RFA a year before UFA so no big contract, and the leagues position on having tight wallets. It’s not on their opinion of Strome, unless someone has links to say otherwise.

Why trade for him when there is a chance they can get him for nothing if he was my qualified which they did at the last second. Also now, why trade when they can wait to see the outcome first. Gorton has been good, but he screwed this one up a bit.

I think there are two reason we weren’t able to trade him.

1. Being a special Covid year and a cap staying at what it is for few years.

2. GM’s understand what strome bring and what he doesn’t.

Definitely no long term future on this team, need something better on second line.

Maxi Domi just signed for two years at $5.3 per. Looking at that, I'd say an arbitrator would be pegging Strome somewhere between 4.5 and 5 per, which would be in possible walk away territory for Gorton. It's hard to say, Domi isn't coming off a big year but had a bigger year than anything Strome has done the year before that, which followed some disappointing years.

Maxi Domi just signed for two years at $5.3 per. Looking at that, I'd say an arbitrator would be pegging Strome somewhere between 4.5 and 5 per, which would be in possible walk away territory for Gorton. It's hard to say, Domi isn't coming off a big year but had a bigger year than anything Strome has done the year before that, which followed some disappointing years.

They have plenty of cap space. Explain why they'd walk away from a 1 year 5 mil deal?

To the extent that the board is divided between Strome advocates and detractors, the lack of a trade when Gorton probably wanted one would tend to indicate that opposing GM's are of the same mind as the detractors.
You're pushing a narrative that doesn't exist. Maybe Gorton just didn't get an offer he felt was good enough?

Like I said... Many here talk about upgrading Strome but haven't offered a name who's realistic and a clear upgrade.

I don’t mind Strome. He performed here and technically in Long Island too previously. Does he take bad penalties? Sure but if he’s nearly a ppg player he gets a pass. Panarin is a beast but Strome gets plenty of points for who he is too. He’s a former first rounder for a reason. Fast didn’t become a ppg player playing with Panarin. We keep dismissing him as if he’s just some AHLer that is riding bread mans junk which is just not true.

I think we're gonna see him some more, and Pete's right; I don't see any immediate replacement for him. We have some cap for this year and we're going to have 13 million more next year when all the buyouts and Smith are off the books.

Sometimes I feel like we're just kinda buying time to see how he works out....not a bad idea....kinda like kicking the tires on an old Buick! :rofl:

I can see a 1 or 2 year deal for about $4.75 million though.

I think we're gonna see him some more, and Pete's right; I don't see any immediate replacement for him. We have some cap for this year and we're going to have 13 million more next year when all the buyouts and Smith are off the books.

Sometimes I feel like we're just kinda buying time to see how he works out....not a bad idea....kinda like kicking the tires on an old Buick! :rofl:

I can see a 1 or 2 year deal for about $4.75 million though.

I don't think there's any chance they sign him or he accepts a two year deal. This is a one and done.

I don't think there's any chance they sign him or he accepts a two year deal. This is a one and done.

Either way, we'll have some time to see what we can do to back fill that spot. I don't know what Strome's asking/expecting for in a deal, but I'm sure if it was an easy one to get done, it would be on the books by now.

The argument I never got is the ‘well if strome isnt with Panarin then he doesn’t put up those numbers.’ Fine. But Panarin isn’t going anywhere so.....

Well if Chytil takes over 2C, or someone else does, then you have Strome making 6m a season on the 3rd line. In a few seasons you see Kreider (6.5), Strome, Buchnevich (if he produces this season) on the third line. Zibanejad and Panarin over 10m each. Lafreniere, Chytil, Kakko bridge deals, and then you have Trouba, Fox and DeAngelo all making over 5m each.

Important thing to note on the Domi deal is he gave no UFA years. This deal covers the last 2 RFA years and then he can hit the market.

The equivalent for Strome is a 1 year deal. I don't see him going only 2 years and selling just one UFA year. I would think he wants 1 year or long term, and probably prefers long term.

Well if Chytil takes over 2C, or someone else does, then you have Strome making 6m a season on the 3rd line. In a few seasons you see Kreider (6.5), Strome, Buchnevich (if he produces this season) on the third line. Zibanejad and Panarin over 10m each. Lafreniere, Chytil, Kakko bridge deals, and then you have Trouba, Fox and DeAngelo all making over 5m each.

yeah i mean im not saying sign Strome to the same length deal as Panarin but a 2 year deal is fine. If Chytil takes over his spot within that two year window we'll be ok having that deal short term.

1. Hours before the deadline for qualifying offers, management decided that it would be folly to allow Ryan Strome, their third-leading scorer, to get away for nothing. But that doesn’t necessarily mean the decision will go down that same way if No. 16 gets an arbitration award that is too rich for the Blueshirts’ blood.

There is the tendency to harp on what players can’t do or are not. Strome isn’t big, isn’t particularly fast, isn’t the best at the dots or away from the puck. But he finished 25th among NHL centers with 0.84 points per game and 18th with 0.59 assists per. Strome may not be a prototypical second-line center, but those are first-line numbers. He’s going to have a strong case in arbitration that could earn him at least $4.75 million.

The fact is the Rangers have been trying to trade for a center and were unable to pull it off as the qualifying-offer deadline neared. They will continue to pursue what they believe is an upgrade in the middle for Artemi Panarin’s line. If Strome’s arbitration award is too rich for the Blueshirts’ blood, that’s the time they’ll walk away.

https://nypost.com/2020/10/07/rangers-notes-ryan-strome-contract-dilemma-is-far-from-resolved/