• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Qualify Ryan Strome; Still Have Big Decision Regarding Long-Term Future

Scott

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We could do a lot worse than Strome at 1 x 5.

If that's the situation next year, then so be it. He was good. Maybe Chytil can continue to improve and take over that roll at the end of the year.

Enough*

And agreed. It's a stop-gap. Buys the team time to continue to look for a better long-term solution.

Enough*

And agreed. It's a stop-gap. Buys the team time to continue to look for a better long-term solution.

I mean... he put up 60 in 70 games. I get it. He played with Panarin, but so did Fast and Fast certainly doesn't have anywhere close to Stromes numbers.

Aside from getting someone who's a little harder to play against, I don't know if we can expect much better than 60/70 split for a second line center.

I mean... he put up 60 in 70 games. I get it. He played with Panarin, but so did Fast and Fast certainly doesn't have anywhere close to Stromes numbers.

Aside from getting someone who's a little harder to play against, I don't know if we can expect much better than 60/70 split for a second line center.

As with most things, grass is always greener.

You're talking about a fan base who wanted to upgrade on Nylander who had like 78 points his last season here.

This is hardly a big decision.

Pretty cut a dry, more or less.

He?s not likely in the long-term plan, we?ve basically known that for a while. Whether or not he should be is another conversation.

So... it?s a 1 year deal and they look for an upgrade next year.

Or it?s an upgrade now if they can find one.

We could do a lot worse than Strome at 1 x 5.

If that's the situation next year, then so be it. He was good. Maybe Chytil can continue to improve and take over that roll at the end of the year.

I have high hopes for Chytil. I like the way he carries the puck and the play, and I think it's a matter of time before it translates to production. He also plays hard.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see him supplant Strome and solve the "2C issue".

The basic problem with Strome is that I'd love to have him as a third line center at 3.5 or 4.0, but he got him self some numbers playing with Panarin which price him out of the third line center slot.

Paying any non-first line player multiple years is called "Danger Zone"

Bro, they've bought out or traded any non EL or Bridge contract that meets that definition.

You have to sign those guys, though. The key is, don't give those guys trade protection. That's where the flexibility comes from.

When in the NHL are people exclusively signing middle 6 players to 1 year deals exclusively?

The GMs don't care when they give the 4-5-6 year deals because they know they'll likely be fired before the deal is over.

You have to sign those guys, though. The key is, don't give those guys trade protection. That's where the flexibility comes from.

When in the NHL are people exclusively signing middle 6 players to 1 year deals exclusively?

The GMs don't care when they give the 4-5-6 year deals because they know they'll likely be fired before the deal is over.

Well they are really in the (essentially) same conundrum they were in with Zibanejad not too long ago. right in that tweener stage. But Strome put up low key 1C stats this season. I cant fault him for getting some money this season. Rangers cant go long term, though.

And honestly, it would probably be easier to look at the team if you see the Panarin line as the first line, and the Zibanejad line as the second line. no offense to Mika. Just putting the perspective into how I think the Rangers are looking at it. Is Strome a 1C? Do you pay him like a potential 1C?

When he was not qualified I figured the Rangers were not sure they wanted him back or might have been trying to get a longer deal done. Seems really odd that they would come out that a trade was being looked at. Wouldn?t think Strome is currently in any long term plans.

I wouldn’t be relying on the trade parachute in this flat cap environment.

I don’t think GMs are giving 5 year deals because they think they will be fired. A lot of times those are the deals that develop into bargains and they like the cost certainty provided.

To the extent that the board is divided between Strome advocates and detractors, the lack of a trade when Gorton probably wanted one would tend to indicate that opposing GM's are of the same mind as the detractors.

Or maybe the Rangers had/have their eye on a certain player and gave yet to pry him from his current team? Maybe waiting for desperate teams to unload a guy due to cap constraints. I don't think they were generally shopping Strome, as much as they were looking for an upgrade or for other teams cap problems to arise.

So far I don't see any buy out guys that are obviously BETTER than what Strome did for this team last season.

Hard to imagine wanting to get rid of a guy who just got the best year out of the team's top star scorer.... Gotta at least do a one year deal and keep the guy in your back pocket incase that chemistry wasn't a fluke.

Maxi Domi just signed for two years at $5.3 per. Looking at that, I'd say an arbitrator would be pegging Strome somewhere between 4.5 and 5 per, which would be in possible walk away territory for Gorton. It's hard to say, Domi isn't coming off a big year but had a bigger year than anything Strome has done the year before that, which followed some disappointing years.

Why would that be walk away territory? That's a steal.