• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Michael Grabner on Waivers for Buy Out

Lord Al

He's been pretty injury-riddled the last two seasons. He didn't top 50 games played in either. I'd love to get the band back together with him (especially if they lose Fast), but it'd have to be a discounted return and likely a one-year deal.

He's been pretty injury-riddled the last two seasons. He didn't top 50 games played in either. I'd love to get the band back together with him (especially if they lose Fast), but it'd have to be a discounted return and likely a one-year deal.

Loved it when he was here. The writing is on the wall; steer clear of this type of signing. Injury riddled and at an age for decline. Move along.

What?s the wisdom of such a one-year deal though? If you plan for him being gone after a year what did you gain? I?d much rather a younger, healthier player in the lineup who has the potential to help the team for a long time.
Plenty of middle of the pack players are going to be taking one year deals due to the uncertainty around the cap. Teams won't be offering long term deals to guys like Grabner.

What’s the wisdom of such a one-year deal though? If you plan for him being gone after a year what did you gain? I’d much rather a younger, healthier player in the lineup who has the potential to help the team for a long time.

It brings in some veteran presence, and it could be like Prospal with continuous 1 year cap friendly deals.

What’s the wisdom of such a one-year deal though? If you plan for him being gone after a year what did you gain? I’d much rather a younger, healthier player in the lineup who has the potential to help the team for a long time.

I certainly understand your point Frank. You're basically committing to the approach of building a portion of your roster with interchangeable pieces you're potentially going to have to replace year after year. I don't think it's ideal either, imo I think part of the gaol here now should be building some continuity. I think they should be looking to use the leverage of guys on the market realizing the cap is what it is and the prudent thing on their part maybe to lock in at for example 2 year guaranteed deals which provides some level of certainty to both sides.

I get why we recycle ex-rangers names here but I kind of hope there's some new blood out there to be infused into the lineup here going forward. I don't think Grabner has shown much since moving on so I'm hoping JD/Gorton can find better options out there.

they had young healthy players last season, and had the worst bottom 6 in the league. It would have kept them out of the playoffs in a regular regular season.

Because not every piece needs to be a keeper. Grabner is an excellent penalty killer, but he's been banged up and may not have much left in the tank. The Rangers can get by with a short term solution for losing Fasts best skill which is the PK. They don't really have a player in the system to step into that role.

Put it this way. Anyone brought in the play on the bottom six will have to be a short term solution until the Rangers develop the kind of player that should be given such a role.

I get the thinking about him filling a bottom six role but doesn?t that mean he takes a roster spot from a guy who can grow into that role...or more?

I hear you about how we?d have missed the playoffs this season but so what? We weren?t a playoff team anyway. Developing a core AND a supporting cast is important to me. I?m already resigned to this season being another development year so let?s have that. Yeah, Prospal played a great role but I?d much rather add that kind of guy as one of the final pieces to the puzzle later than sooner.

I get the thinking about him filling a bottom six role but doesn’t that mean he takes a roster spot from a guy who can grow into that role...or more?

I hear you about how we’d have missed the playoffs this season but so what? We weren’t a playoff team anyway. Developing a core AND a supporting cast is important to me. I’m already resigned to this season being another development year so let’s have that. Yeah, Prospal played a great role but I’d much rather add that kind of guy as one of the final pieces to the puzzle later than sooner.

Who? They have no players that should be playing on the 4th line getting minimal ice time. Who would he be taking a spot from?

Who in the pack of marginal players who we signed today is preferable to Grabs?

Kinda what I've been asking myself. I'd rather bring in a bunch of has beens or reclamation projects/cast offs than these scrubs they just stockpiled. Even if they are for Hartford, they aren't attractive signings that could potentially fill any hole on the Rangers if there's an injury.

Dude I don?t know who exactly but I?m not in favor of 1-year deals for bags of pucks and jocks. Grabner is not that, but these other guys? Let?s work in the younger hungry guys guys and keep our eyes open for that Prospal or Tikkanen guy later when our project is nearly finished. I?m not up on all the players league-wide like you guys are or the giant pool of prospects. It just seems like our recent moves are not aligned with the rebuild.