• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Gorton: Rangers Will Look to Add Defenseman via Trade or Free Agency

Phil

The FA market for LD is crappy, unless you go overpay a guy like Krug, which they absolutely shouldn't do. The realistic FA options are bottom pairing/7th D, and the Rangers need a top 4. I think it's going to be a trade if they want to get a top 4.

I mentioned Giordano in the other thread. I think they may view a veteran guy like that as great for the youngsters and he still plays at a top 4 level. If he drops off a cliff, he only has 2 years left which works for us and hopefully our younger guys begin to step up to take minutes.

what this doesnt tell us is if the Dman they want is a solid veteran to round out the bottom pair and play with someone like Miller, should he make the team, or if its a higher paid guy who is on a longer term deal for the top 4

In the 'guess the lineup' rep bet thread I suggested Nathab Beauillieu. Wouldn't be expensive at all, Stay at Home Dman, and not a guy that couldn't be our 7th should younger players progress very well.

great point about yandle though.

There are a few decent enough LD trade options that shouldn't scare us off.

Giordano was mentioned earlier - that's one way to go, though the Flames probably don't want to move him.

Florida's a logical trade partner with a few old friends (Yandle, Stralman) that could be good fits

I'd throw a weird one out there - Duncan Keith would be interesting.

Wonder if Nashville wants to move Ekholm

The problem with acquiring a veteran LD by trade is that almost all of them have prohibitive contracts (M-E Vlasic, Ryan Suter, OEL), signed recently (Josi, Schmidt, McD) or are simply unattainable (the Isles aren't trading us Leddy, Caps aren't trading us Orlov, Pens and Dumoulin)

I think your list of targets is up there, without concern for the possibility of a "not as grizzled veteran (Brayden McNabb?) or a younger RFA D (Jake McCabe).

If we choose to go young, I'd hard target Zach Werenski. CBJ are like to be a budget team and while he's got 2 years left, that contract has a built-in poison pill for the Jackets that the Rangers would 100% be able to handle.

There are a few decent enough LD trade options that shouldn't scare us off.

Giordano was mentioned earlier - that's one way to go, though the Flames probably don't want to move him.

Florida's a logical trade partner with a few old friends (Yandle, Stralman) that could be good fits

I'd throw a weird one out there - Duncan Keith would be interesting.

Wonder if Nashville wants to move Ekholm

The problem with acquiring a veteran LD by trade is that almost all of them have prohibitive contracts (M-E Vlasic, Ryan Suter, OEL), signed recently (Josi, Schmidt, McD) or are simply unattainable (the Isles aren't trading us Leddy, Caps aren't trading us Orlov, Pens and Dumoulin)

I think your list of targets is up there, without concern for the possibility of a "not as grizzled veteran (Brayden McNabb?) or a younger RFA D (Jake McCabe).

If we choose to go young, I'd hard target Zach Werenski. CBJ are like to be a budget team and while he's got 2 years left, that contract has a built-in poison pill for the Jackets that the Rangers would 100% be able to handle.

Werenski would be awesome. I posed a deal in the Wennberg buyout thread: http://www.blueshirtsbrotherhood.com/showthread.php?23194-Blue-Jackets-Considering-Buyout-of-Alexander-Wennberg&p=1030525&viewfull=1#post1030525

Werenski, Wennberg for DeAngelo, Chytil, Car 1st

It would save CBJ the buyout hit and money on Wennberg. DeAngelo would cost them about as much as Werenski for the next 2 years, but they can lock him up longer term now. Werenski might cost in the 8 range on next contract, and at the same time Seth Jones is up for a new deal.

I don't know if Werenski is really attainable. The Blue Jackets proved they still have some fight, but need some bigger pieces up front. I don't know why they'd subtract now and especially Werenski. I'd sooner think it would be Jones who's due for UFA in two years.

Hard to fathom Werenski would be available. Can’t imagine that. He, Jones, and PLD are the backbone of that team

I don't know if Werenski is really attainable. The Blue Jackets proved they still have some fight, but need some bigger pieces up front. I don't know why they'd subtract now and especially Werenski. I'd sooner think it would be Jones who's due for UFA in two years.

I doubt he's truly attainable, but they're a team to watch since they almost have to make some moves. There's almost no way they're operating on a full budget, they've got at least two key RFAs to re-sign (PLD, Gavrikov, and Josh Anderson, though I would not be shocked if they dealt Anderson), and they're already over the floor by quite a bit.

I hate to see a good part of the cap savings from the Staal trade get eaten up with a replacement who isn't appreciably better. Kinda defeats the purpose.

Agreed with this. Would rather go big (like someone to pair with Trouba longer term) than just fill a bottom 5/6 slot. We got some RFA guys, #22, and cap space.

I think it would be pretty strange to tie up more big cap money in another D (assuming we bring back ADA) when we are still a work in progress. There aren’t hugely awesome options right now out there. Going to be a flat cap for a couple more seasons and next offseason there are 4 more rfas to worry about. You never know if one goes off this coming year driving up his price. I’d say the Rangers are hell of a lot more likely to do a one year low risk veteran deal, not make a splash.

I think it would be pretty strange to tie up more big cap money in another D (assuming we bring back ADA) when we are still a work in progress. There aren?t hugely awesome options right now out there. Going to be a flat cap for a couple more seasons and next offseason there are 4 more rfas to worry about. You never know if one goes off this coming year driving up his price. I?d say the Rangers are hell of a lot more likely to do a one year low risk veteran deal, not make a splash.

Pretty much my opinion as well, man. "work in progress" is a good synopsis. No need to try and force a square peg in a round hole this season. If the right parts aren't available, no need to waste $$$ and years on something that's going to backfire in our face in 2 or 3 years when we really NEED to get a piece of the puzzle that puts us over the top.

I can wait and see how the kids develop this year, I just still think the sample size is too small to judge what a lot of these guys are going to be. I also think I'm going to be surprised by a few guys this season. We'll see ;)