• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Should the Rangers Trade the #1 Overall Pick?

ThirtyONE

Nick Kypreos' podcast had Brian Lawton on and god damn, it was fascinating.

On Eichel:

Lawton compared a potential Eichel trade to the Joe Thornton trade from back in the day. He believes that if that trade actually went down, and the Rangers got Eichel, they win the trade, period. A franchise, first line center is impossible to find and Eichel would fill that role for another 12+ years. No matter what Lafrenier does in his career, he's not a center.

On the Sens:

Is it possible the Sens try to make a trade for the #1? Lawton said there's almost no scenario in which the Rangers would move back unless the Sens could seriously sweeten the pot. Kypreos role played for a moment and suggested Brady Tkchuck and the #3 pick for #1. Lawton's response was, "that's the kind of offer that makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up if you're Jeff Gorton."

It all means nothing, but it's super interesting to think about. You have to wonder how many insane offers Gorton is receiving right now.

Lawton also had a crazy story about almost trading Vinny Lecavilier for Pk Subban, Max Paceretty, and Carey Price.

[video=youtube;Y89-U442024]

They’ll get good offers and it will present some intriguing options.

But the best expenditure of the pick is still them using the pick on LaFreniere.

Agreed. The benefit to Lafreniere is that despite his likelihood to achieve his maximum bonuses, he's still a cost-controlled asset. That's incredibly beneficial to the team as they'll be looking to be competitive over the next few years and as the first wave of graduated prospects (Shesterkin, Chytil, Fox, etc.) require new contracts in the near future.

Agreed. The benefit to Lafreniere is that despite his likelihood to achieve his maximum bonuses, he's still a cost-controlled asset. That's incredibly beneficial to the team as they'll be looking to be competitive over the next few years and as the first wave of graduated prospects (Shesterkin, Chytil, Fox, etc.) require new contracts in the near future.

Issue is he?s only cost controlled for a few years and those are theyears where we don?t need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

It's this.

Alexis Lafreniere is arguably the most valuable asset in the NHL right now. He's cost controlled at a price that he's likely to overperform against in year one, and will appreciate rapidly without a price increase for the next 3 years.

I'm just curious, what if the Rangers keep the #1, and package the #22 pick? Maybe something like DeAngelo, Buchnevich, and #22 to move up and grab a top 8 pick...Hell, maybe even top 5 pick if the package is good enough! One of the top 3 Centers should be available (Byfield, Rossi or Perfetti).

I dunno, just wondering how to cure that Center spot dilemma..... :eek:

Issue is he’s only cost controlled for a few years and those are theyears where we don’t need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Well, but the only trade that somewhat makes sense is for a guy that isn't even cost controlled now. I don't think the Rangers are that far away even without Eichel from competing. If ALF is the real deal, he will be a very important piece within 2 seasons while he is still cheaper than he's likely worth. Kakko, Shesh, Fox, et al should be even further ahead as well. I think we just stay the course and have a very good mapped out salary structure. No reason to sway from that now.

I'm only trading Lafreniere if the offer is overwhelming. A fair offer is Tkachuk and #3. I'm not doing it for that. Overwhelming is Tkachuk, #3, and #5.

I'd think about #1 for Eichel, but ultimately decline. I think you can get him for less than that once he's disgruntled enough.

I just think Byfield is the best center in the draft, and by a pretty good margin. I don't think he slips past #2, so Tkachuk and #3 doesn't assure us of Byfield, and it also gives away LaFreniere who I think is going to be a balls out franchise player in short time. Eichel makes sense, but only from a Rangers standpoint in my opinion.

I think you're right, RMC! We can wait on Eichel, and get him down the pike a little, when we really need it most (contending)....and possibly not giving up the "farm" (Hey, I made a funny!) ;)

I'm just curious, what if the Rangers keep the #1, and package the #22 pick? Maybe something like DeAngelo, Buchnevich, and #22 to move up and grab a top 8 pick...Hell, maybe even top 5 pick if the package is good enough! One of the top 3 Centers should be available (Byfield, Rossi or Perfetti).

I dunno, just wondering how to cure that Center spot dilemma..... :eek:

I think the struggle there is that all of those teams are rebuilding and as such really need youth and cost-controlled assets more than anything. DeAngelo and Buchnevich aren't old but they're not quite cost-controlled either anymore.

Picks 10 (WPG) and 11 (NSH) could be a possibility, Nashville's pick especially. Poile is likely at the end of his rope and needs to do something about fielding a more competitive team given what he has. For a team weak at wing, Buchnevich and the 22nd pick could be enticing to them. I'd even take Bonino off of them if they wanted.

• Like 1

Two very different things. Not sure without having ever taken a single shift it's realistic to say he's arguably the most valuable asset in the league now. Imo it would be a tough argument at this time.

Is he likely to overperform the cost of his contract the first three years, god willing hell yeah and hopefully by a lot. Can he hopefully become one of the better players in the league, hopefully someday. I would like to see him compete on this level first before setting that expectation.

The point is that you're highly unlikely to find a player that's going to return more on your investment - both on the ice and off - than Alexis Lafreniere right now. That makes him wildly attractive.

Even if the Rangers drafted a center, it wouldn't solve the issue of needing a center for next year.

The main question here is where that kid would play next season.

Would be easy to continue next year with Zib-Strome-Chytil, by taking Strome to arb and having him sign a one year deal. The main question would be now that you traded into the top 10 to pick Rossi/Perfetti, where are they playing next year? Is there gonna be a junior season? Will they be allowed to go to Europe? Will there be an AHL and will they be allowed to go there?

It would have to be a Lindros type of package to trade the pick. Tkachuk, #3, 1st next year, and 2 more legit NHL caliber players (preferably a Dman/Hanafin) and they take Brendan Smith at full cap hit.

They have a bunch of Dmen hitting free agency, so they don't have much to throw in that interests me.

I see if they want to give up on Sam Bennett though.

There’s so many reasons why 1st OVA picks don’t get traded.

And they’re valid... so they don’t get traded.

I like Kypreos, and I think he does good work, plus I think the stuff he puts out there is stuff he does legitimately hear or is at least valid speculation...

But he still has content to produce and airtime to fill.

There?s so many reasons why 1st OVA picks don?t get traded.

And they?re valid... so they don?t get traded.

I like Kypreos, and I think he does good work, plus I think the stuff he puts out there is stuff he does legitimately hear or is at least valid speculation...

Kyper spent yesterday retweeting all the mentions of his story. So yes he absolutely did it for the clicks.

There’s so many reasons why 1st OVA picks don’t get traded.

And they’re valid... so they don’t get traded.

Especially since the move to a new network and the launch of a new lunch hour show he's trying to gain attention and notoriety for.

I think the struggle there is that all of those teams are rebuilding and as such really need youth and cost-controlled assets more than anything. DeAngelo and Buchnevich aren't old but they're not quite cost-controlled either anymore.

Picks 10 (WPG) and 11 (NSH) could be a possibility, Nashville's pick especially. Poile is likely at the end of his rope and needs to do something about fielding a more competitive team given what he has. For a team weak at wing, Buchnevich and the 22nd pick could be enticing to them. I'd even take Bonino off of them if they wanted.

Pretty good insight there, Drew!!! There are a lot of centers ranked in the top 20 this year in this draft, and I don't expect the Rangers to be a playoff team just yet, so it's possible they might go your route!!!

No way. Stay the course.

I still like this route the best, but I like to play along ;)

Ffs just draft the franchise player we were gifted lol

...I'm still with ya, big guy!!! =)