• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Offer Sheets Looming the Lightning: "The vultures are circling,"

Phil

The team flew home with the most famous trophy in sports, all the while BriseBois was already knee-deep in team planning.

He's got in the ballpark of $10 million he?s got to shave off his salary cap number. Teams know it. The vultures are circling. There are already whispers of potential offer sheets for RFAs Mikhail Sergachev and/or Anthony Cirelli. Blueliner Erik Cernak is also RFA.

Those offer sheets could land as early as Oct. 9, next Friday.

That?s why BriseBois will waste no time getting going, there are unpleasant conversations to come with some of his players, fresh off a Cup win. It?s brutal that it has to be this way.

I hate that some of the players on that team will have to have these conversations over the next week or two, that they may read their names in trade rumours so quickly after winning a Cup. But that?s the reality of the business, especially in an unusual offseason truncated like never before.

https://theathletic.com/2104491/2020/09/30/lebrun-lightning-get-right-back-to-work-trying-to-navigate-upcoming-cap-crunch/

I actually think we need Sergachev more than anything else.

Yeah, between he and Cirelli, I'd sooner make the play for the LD. The Rangers have internal options — even if they aren't super reliable — to back fill at center. They can sign a stop gap. There's no one available to play (reliably) with Trouba right now.

I actually think we need Sergachev more than anything else.

Yup. At 2C, Strome is serviceable and Cirelli is more like a lateral move there until (and if?) he converts potential into production. Sergachev would be our best LD by a country mile. However, just like we have to acknowledge that Trouba took the toughest assignments to shelter Fox and DeAngelo, we need to acknowledge the same with Hedman/McDonagh for Sergachev.

Yup. At 2C, Strome is serviceable and Cirelli is more like a lateral move there until (and if?) he converts potential into production. Sergachev would be our best LD by a country mile. However, just like we have to acknowledge that Trouba took the toughest assignments to shelter Fox and DeAngelo, we need to acknowledge the same with Hedman/McDonagh for Sergachev.

No doubt. There's a level of converting potential into production in both of them. I just think the risk is greater with Cirelli.

I'm gonna guess they have zero interest in him, seeing as they already moved him once and they need to be shedding salary just to keep the guys they want to keep, not adding a guy who is gonna cost $6 million plus long-term.

Maybe not, but as we speak they lose 4 of their top 6 d this offseason, 3 being RD I think. Likely ADA and Sergachev money wise would be comparable, but those 2 firsts really would help them replenish cheaper talent especially if they think next year we still aren’t so good and our first is high. You figure we probably have to give up another fairly high end talent but we do have a decent amount of that and we would get the LD we need and the 2c that’s perfect and won’t cost 7m.

I'll believe it when I see it. They say this EVERY year.

This!!

4 offers have been made in the last 10 years

only 1 over those has been made in the last 7 and they've all been matched

only 2 players have accepted offers and changed teams since 2007

I'll stand by and wait for all these offer sheets to start flying by. Yes the cap is flat and revenues are down for all teams. I don't believe it's going to all of the sudden lead to a huge shift when it comes to offer sheets. Would certainly make for a more exciting off season if it were to happen.

Figured we could get a good convo going with what they play on doing since we are all interested in at least 1-2 of their roster players. Gotta be rough to have this go public so soon after winning though.

This is a brilliant little move by Tampa. This center market sucks, TyJo can be exposed to Seattle (and they'll almost gladly take him), he's locked in at a reasonable rate for his production if he's going to be a 2C, and they were going to need to pay someone to take him.

If you think of this as a 1 year, 4.5m for him...that's really not awful.

Well if someone claims him they are on the hook for his whole contract duration, no? I’d be very surprised if he gets claimed. Also, I’m not sure he can be taken by Seattle. He has a NTC. Don’t they have to protect him or is that only a NMC

Well if someone claims him they are on the hook for his whole contract duration, no? I?d be very surprised if he gets claimed. Also, I?m not sure he can be taken by Seattle. He has a NTC. Don?t they have to protect him or is that only a NMC

He can be taken in expansion. Only an NMC prevents it. Not sure Seattle would actually want him though.

He can be taken in expansion. Only an NMC prevents it. Not sure Seattle would actually want him though.

He's a hometown kid, and they're going to have money and cap space to spare. 2 years of Tyler Johnson is really palatable for them.

Then again, they're going to have the whole league by the stones.