• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Interested in Eichel?

Pete

No, a team needs their number one center performing in order to be successful.

Zib needed to play his way out of it, sitting him was never the right answer. Especially not on the power play, I would have considered the PK because those are tougher minutes.

Sitting him, taking him off the power play, does nothing to help him get his game back.

I can see how benching and underperforming player would give fans some satisfaction, but it doesn't actually make the team any better. It's not like this is a Kreider situation where you have Lafreniere waiting. There was nobody to step into this role.

Strome was playing miles better at the time. There were others who were playing extremely good hockey who could have stepped in on PP1. Buchnevich in particular. This isn't hindsight either. Many of us were saying this stuff for many games when it was clear Zibanejad needed more time at practice to refind himself. 1st line, PP1, PK1 was never the way to do it when it was clear he wasn't the same.

Strome was playing miles better at the time. There were others who were playing extremely good hockey who could have stepped in on PP1. Buchnevich in particular. This isn't hindsight either. Many of us were saying this stuff for many games when it was clear Zibanejad needed more time at practice to refind himself. 1st line, PP1, PK1 was never the way to do it when it was clear he wasn't the same.
How does taking him off the power play help him get his game back?

Are we saying the same if Eichel comes to NY and doesn’t do anything for an extended period?

Oh, and what about Kreider and his slumps? Keep throwing him out there?

Are we saying the same if Eichel comes to NY and doesn’t do anything for an extended period?

Oh, and what about Kreider and his slumps? Keep throwing him out there?

There's someone to fill Kreider role. Did you want Howden on the top line? Even when people were looking for more excuses to whine about Quinn and pointed to not scratching Kreider I said that veterans like CK don't benefit from being scratched. They aren't rookies who need to watch from above and learn some lessons. Reduce his ice time and give to Laf, sure. Who was taking Zib time with Chytil hurt? Rooney? Yeah that makes us better!

Not sure what Eichel has to do with it. I'd give him the same latitude of he was working his way back from his broken neck.

No, a team needs their number one center performing in order to be successful.

Zib needed to play his way out of it, sitting him was never the right answer. Especially not on the power play, I would have considered the PK because those are tougher minutes.

Sitting him, taking him off the power play, does nothing to help him get his game back.

I can see how benching and underperforming player would give fans some satisfaction, but it doesn't actually make the team any better. It's not like this is a Kreider situation where you have Lafreniere waiting. There was nobody to step into this role.

I’m pretty sure it wasn’t so much the reps that got his game back, but time. Rangers could have won more games in the first half of the season if they had deployed a more effective powerplay strategy - something other than force feeding a player who couldn’t one-time a shot into the ocean if he was standing on the beach.

I’m pretty sure it wasn’t so much the reps that got his game back, but time. Rangers could have won more games in the first half of the season if they had deployed a more effective powerplay strategy - something other than force feeding a player who couldn’t one-time a shot into the ocean if he was standing on the beach.
I'm pretty sure if you asked him, he would disagree. No player ever got their game back by playing less.
  • Like 1

His timing was off and he was continuously shanking one timers. It was bad. He didn't need game time to fix it. He just needed time. The focus should have been on practice and repetition until more comfortable, and less about throwing unneeded pressure on his shoulders when he wasn't himself yet.

So benching/scratching/ demotion to lower lines for younger players or lower line players for bad play helps them, but it doesn't help slumping top 6 forwards?

I think this is part of how Quinn lost the team. There wasn't a level playing field. Obviously your stars get a little more leeway, but more than a month straight of forcing the issue wasn't the way to go about it. Not when you are playing your 1st overall and 2nd overall picks at a much lesser desirable amount in all situations.

Demanding more accountability from your lower line players to keep them in the lineup and not even rewarding them for doing what they are asked to do is how it's been going.

I honestly think Quonn had an issue with Gauthier. From saying things like "yeah I forgot he was on the bench, I have to try more to get him more ice" to " I don't know how many times I have to tell him that I don't have a spot for him in the lineup" while he dresses uncle Giuseppe, Howden, Blackwell, even Brodzinski over him.

Then there's no PP time for Lafreniere, or Kakko.. You have to be more consistent.

So benching/scratching/ demotion to lower lines for younger players or lower line players for bad play helps them, but it doesn't help slumping top 6 forwards?

I think this is part of how Quinn lost the team. There wasn't a level playing field. Obviously your stars get a little more leeway, but more than a month straight of forcing the issue wasn't the way to go about it. Not when you are playing your 1st overall and 2nd overall picks at a much lesser desirable amount in all situations.

Demanding more accountability from your lower line players to keep them in the lineup and not even rewarding them for doing what they are asked to do is how it's been going.

I honestly think Quonn had an issue with Gauthier. From saying things like "yeah I forgot he was on the bench, I have to try more to get him more ice" to " I don't know how many times I have to tell him that I don't have a spot for him in the lineup" while he dresses uncle Giuseppe, Howden, Blackwell, even Brodzinski over him.

Then there's no PP time for Lafreniere, or Kakko.. You have to be more consistent.

I'd guess that - and probably right about this - the work ethic was never missing for Mika, whereas it may have been for guys like Laf, Kakko, Gauthier. And yeah, there's a double standard w/high end veterans and probably rightfully so. I think Quinn said as much w/Mika in the press conference after Mika was benched for the 2nd - that he'd earned the right to play through it but it was getting to be too much of an issue.

Gauthier should bother all of us but not because of Quinn. Gauthier did two things really well - skate fast, and hit people in the face with his stick. A player with his speed and his size should be an NHLer and an effective one at that, and it's frustrating watching Quinn probably make the right decisions with him straight through the Islanders games because he can't seem to get something as basic as "stick to face is penalty" right.

I really just don't think we solve very much bringing in Eichel.

We can score and we have a ton of talent already here.

Eichel has a $10 million cap hit, a concerning/tricky neck injury surgery pending, and a very bad relationship with his current team.

I see the Rangers needing: toughness, grit, a grizzled playoff experienced vet or two, and a 3 C that can play 2 ways and win draws.

Keep in mind, I see double on certain nights of the week, but that's my call, Al! ;)

I just don't see where Eichel adds to any of that. Besides, if Zibby has the season I think he's going to have this year, he makes Eichel a non factor. I just think sometimes it's better to dance with the chick you bring to the party. I'll stick with Zibby and Strome as 1 and 2.

I'm at the point where I truly believe he'll be dealt to Columbus for Seth Jones. His stock is crashing faster than I could have possibly imagined.

Buffalo drove this guy to the point of going public about his health situation to diminish his value. What a colossal fuckup that franchise is.

Buffalo drove this guy to the point of going public about his health situation to diminish his value. What a colossal fuckup that franchise is.

The only other franchise I can think of in pro sports that so routinely has it's gun aimed at it's foot is like...the Cleveland Browns.

And even THEYVE figured it out.

I'd guess that - and probably right about this - the work ethic was never missing for Mika, whereas it may have been for guys like Laf, Kakko, Gauthier. And yeah, there's a double standard w/high end veterans and probably rightfully so. I think Quinn said as much w/Mika in the press conference after Mika was benched for the 2nd - that he'd earned the right to play through it but it was getting to be too much of an issue.

Gauthier should bother all of us but not because of Quinn. Gauthier did two things really well - skate fast, and hit people in the face with his stick. A player with his speed and his size should be an NHLer and an effective one at that, and it's frustrating watching Quinn probably make the right decisions with him straight through the Islanders games because he can't seem to get something as basic as "stick to face is penalty" right.

When your coach preaches accountability but looks the other way for older veteran players, I have an issue with it.

You obviously think very differently of Gauthiers abilities to the point that you'll overblow one game where he took 4 penalties (one of which was purely coincidental), , even though he scored the tying goal in said game.. BTW he took 3 minors in the 19 games prior and zero after. So keep on keeping on with the talk about how he's a bad penalty machine. 14 PIM in 30 games. 8 in one game.

I think this kid can be a very useful player if used favorably. Meaning PP time or opposite Panarin, since after 2 seasons they haven't had the players HANDED the spot do anything with the opportunity.

I hope Gallant can use him. He seems like the type of player he likes to commit to and use to their abilities.

When your coach preaches accountability but looks the other way for older veteran players, I have an issue with it.

You obviously think very differently of Gauthiers abilities to the point that you'll overblow one game where he took 4 penalties (one of which was purely coincidental), , even though he scored the tying goal in said game.. BTW he took 3 minors in the 19 games prior and zero after. So keep on keeping on with the talk about how he's a bad penalty machine. 14 PIM in 30 games. 8 in one game.

I think this kid can be a very useful player if used favorably. Meaning PP time or opposite Panarin, since after 2 seasons they haven't had the players HANDED the spot do anything with the opportunity.

I hope Gallant can use him. He seems like the type of player he likes to commit to and use to their abilities.

I mean, that's even worse. That basically means that he's better at being completely invisible than anything else. He played in 30 games? Could have fooled me.

I also hope Gallant figures him out, because he should be infinitely more useful than he actually is. He can earn the PP time opposite Panarin or his spot on the third line over the folks that were "handed" it as the third best powerplay in the NHL or whatever they were once Fox decided to go win a Norris Trophy.

• Like 1

His timing was off and he was continuously shanking one timers. It was bad. He didn't need game time to fix it. He just needed time. The focus should have been on practice and repetition until more comfortable, and less about throwing unneeded pressure on his shoulders when he wasn't himself yet.
Agree to disagree.

It's almost like you have to coach players differently based on where they are in their careers... Who'd have thought?

Rangers Should Pursue Eichel Trade if Price Is Right. https://thehockeywriters.com/rangers-eichel-trade-target-right-price/

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

What if....

The Rangers can make a trade for Tkachuk, with Zibanejad as the centerpiece. That move is going to cost them. So ,say Zibanejad, Lundkvist/Jones and the 1st.

THEN or in reverse order

I REALLY think Eichel is out there for the taking. He's really not going to fetch the big haul of players people think..

Kravstov/ Buchnevich, Chytil and another low level prospect go for Eichel.

Any mix of these players can probably get these 2 players to the Rangers. Obviously you would like Buchnevich to go in any deal just to fit salaries for the future.

Lafreniere- Eichel- Buchnevich/ Kravstov/ Kakko

Panarin- Strome- Tkachuk

Kreider- FA/trade- Kakko/Kravtsov

FA grit- Barron- Gauthier

Lindgren- Fox

Jones- Trouba

Miller- Schneider/free agent

The wings are extremely interchangeable if Tkachuk and Kreider can play the RW.

Gotta give to get. I don't think teams are going to be interested in Strome, and that's fine. BUT, you probably lose him the next season because they can't afford him. It'd be great to try to keep Chytil around for that purpose, but I think if you want to make a splash, he's what teams are asking for besides one of the Defense prospects.

Yes. I know. This is some Playstation shit. But I think these moves make sense for all involved. Calgary gets a guy they can use NOW and hopefully resign, along with some serious sweeteners.

Buffalo gets prospects with high upside that they can insert into their lineup and maybe shorten the timetable of yet ANOTHER retooling/rebuild.

I mean, that's even worse. That basically means that he's better at being completely invisible than anything else. He played in 30 games? Could have fooled me.

I also hope Gallant figures him out, because he should be infinitely more useful than he actually is. He can earn the PP time opposite Panarin or his spot on the third line over the folks that were "handed" it as the third best powerplay in the NHL or whatever they were once Fox decided to go win a Norris Trophy.

Well when you average under 10 minutes a game and play with Howden and Rooney, you're going to be invisible. Hence the argument that he should play more??? Or that Quinn had a problem with him. Heck maybe HES the problem. Maybe he's a complainer. Maybe his uncle calls the coach asking why he's not playing. Maybe he'd rather lift weights than work on his game... By what was said by Quinn, I really get the impression that the kid bothered him in some way. Idk. Maybe the kids an asshole? That's where I'm going with that. Not pinning that part on Quinn..

replying to all the trade Lundkvist at the same time here, just no, no, no, no. His potential and at under $1mil per year for 3 years is exactly what we need within our 6 dman set to make the Trouba contract offset the cap. We're talking if he is half as good as advertised then he will be playing more than Trouba by time his deal is up for renewing and hopefully Trouba is playing better or gone by then and Schneider takes his roll.

Now if your talking trading Lundkvist for lets say Tkachuk and wanting Eichel then why not just pass on Eichel since this would mean the Flames are doing a full rebuild and you can probably nab Monahan with Tkachuk, who is cheaper on the cap and term, decent F/O #s and performed decent in his limited playoff games.

Rangers look into Jack Eichel’s condition in preliminary Sabres talks

The Rangers have displayed increased interest in scoping out Jack Eichel’s medical condition and have had preliminary talks with the Sabres regarding his availability, The Post has been told by several sources – but it is unclear whether general manager Chris Drury is simply performing due diligence or is seriously interested in dealing for the Sabres’ disenchanted center.

The Blueshirts have been linked to Eichel since last summer, when then-GM Jeff Gorton had pre-draft discussions with his Buffalo counterpart Kevyn Adams. The talks are believed to have broken down when Gorton refused to part with the first-overall selection that became Alexis Lafreniere.

Eichel, who has been diagnosed with a herniated disk in his neck, is just coming off 12 weeks of rest and rehab as prescribed by the Sabres team physicians. The next step is unclear, but the 24-year-old center may be in line for surgery to replace the disk with an artificial one. That type of surgery is typically followed by a recovery period of up to three months.

We’re told that the Sabres have not yet granted permission for inquiring clubs to gain access to Eichel’s medical records. That would be expected to accompany latter-stage trade discussions.

Drury can officially begin negotiations on an extension with Zibanejad on July 28, this year’s equivalent of the traditional July 1 free-agent date. If talks go nowhere, perhaps Zibanejad would be amenable to accepting a trade to a club that would be willing to grant him a long-term extension at his price and term. But perhaps not.

Fact is, Zibanejad, who probably will be able to command a longer, more lucrative deal on the open market than by remaining in New York, is in complete control of this process.

If Drury knows he won’t be able to retain Zibanejad, then the GM will be in need of a first-line center beginning with 2022-23. The likelihood of Florida’s Aleksandar Barkov hitting the open market next summer seems slim. So acquiring Eichel might represent a proactive strike to fill the vacancy that would be created by an eventual Zibanejad defection.

If the Rangers were to formally enter the Eichel Derby, one would presume that Ryan Strome, with one year left on his deal at a $4.5 million cap hit prior to unrestricted free agency, would be part of the mix going the other way.

Then figure a mix of prospects that would likely come from a pool featuring, but not necessarily limited to, Vitali Kravtsov, Zac Jones and Nils Lundkvist, plus at least one upcoming first-rounder. The Sabres might demand/ask for Kaapo Kakko and/or K’Andre Miller, but that would seem to represent a non-starter.

Again, it is unclear whether and to what degree Drury and the Rangers are invested in Eichel. But they are asking questions.

https://nypost.com/2021/06/28/rangers-interested-in-jack-eichels-condition-in-early-talks/

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk