• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Interested in Eichel?

Pete

Totally disagree. It is his damn body pre NHL, during his career and post NHL. Ill be dammed if I dont get a second, third and fourth opinion on a surgery that could diminish my career, self worth and post career life.

Herniated discs are such an individual experience. Some people live and work with severe herniations with minor symptoms while others have less severe herniation and it is debilitating pain and numbness. Nerves are funny things.

Hope Eichel does what is good for him. Buffalo can pound sand. They have screwed Eichel, the inbound team and themselves. Look at our Buch return, a kings ransom was never happening in this market for their damaged unknown goods. The sooner they make a deal the better they will be to put this in the rear view. If I'm the owner, this conduct would be fireable for Adams.

If Eichel came in and said this shaman has essential oils that will make him invincible and never need surgery again. Then you dig your heels in

This is an informed, medically sound decision that he fees is best for him so i would agree with you.

I think his point though is that doing this opens the door to that ‘essential oil’ crowd

I am surprised as unionized employees, their is no grievance procedure to follow to come to an agreement.

me too - was my first thought about all of this, and how it is in the owners' best interest to have one so that this type of thing doesn't happen. The Sabres lose here, no matter which way it falls.

If Eichel came in and said this shaman has essential oils that will make him invincible and never need surgery again. Then you dig your heels in

This is an informed, medically sound decision that he fees is best for him so i would agree with you.

I think his point though is that doing this opens the door to that ‘essential oil’ crowd

Exactly. I'm sure there are instances where the teams medical personell could be wrong, and the players medical people are right. I don't know enough about Eichel's situation or herniated discs to have a strong opinion on this specific case. But in general, it would be impossible to run an organization where every medical decision is second guessed by the player and his entourage.

And, from a legal perspective, the idea that "it's his body" isn't entirely true. Once you sign that contract you do hand over significant control of your medical situation to the team.

There must be a grievance procedure, because there are many situations where there is a conflict between the interests of the team and the player. What if a player is in the last year of a contract and has an injury that he could gut through but will eventually need surgery? The player wants surgery now and the team wants to put it off.

I originally herniated by discs while picking up my daughter while skating on the pond. I was walking with a cane for three months. It eventually improved to the point of being largely functional, but, sadly, I have not been able to be on skates since (13 years).

There must be a grievance procedure, because there are many situations where there is a conflict between the interests of the team and the player. What if a player is in the last year of a contract and has an injury that he could gut through but will eventually need surgery? The player wants surgery now and the team wants to put it off.

I originally herniated by discs while picking up my daughter while skating on the pond. I was walking with a cane for three months. It eventually improved to the point of being largely functional, but, sadly, I have not been able to be on skates since (13 years).

Under the CBA, he is eligible for Medical Arbitration.

Odd though that it hasn’t happened yet as this issue has been out there for some time.

i think the medical scenario noise is just noise - this player wants out from buffalo for obvious reasons and we'd be insane not to capitalize on the opportunity to buy low on an asset that is otherwise never available in this league, if and only if we think there's a reasonable chance of the cap working out. If there's not that chance, forget about it. If there is that chance, I hope Drury figures out how to gut the sabres as well as possible.

No matter which path we take there, no reason to rush because the price goes down every day. I also think that no matter when it goes down, you can't really argue that we can't afford the pricetag - all the rumored deals here are on players that are flyers at best.

My personal opinion is I would love to see just one year of what pure-sex looks like with mika-strome-eichel down the middle. Don't think I remember a more stacked team down the middle than that outside of the Kings when they won. I also think that acquiring eichel gives you leverage in discussions with Mika because you could effectively walk away from him if the demands are huge, but to me that's a side effect and I wouldn't make the deal for only that reason.

i think the medical scenario noise is just noise - this player wants out from buffalo for obvious reasons and we'd be insane not to capitalize on the opportunity to buy low on an asset that is otherwise never available in this league, if and only if we think there's a reasonable chance of the cap working out. If there's not that chance, forget about it. If there is that chance, I hope Drury figures out how to gut the sabres as well as possible.

No matter which path we take there, no reason to rush because the price goes down every day. I also think that no matter when it goes down, you can't really argue that we can't afford the pricetag - all the rumored deals here are on players that are flyers at best.

My personal opinion is I would love to see just one year of what pure-sex looks like with mika-strome-eichel down the middle. Don't think I remember a more stacked team down the middle than that outside of the Kings when they won. I also think that acquiring eichel gives you leverage in discussions with Mika because you could effectively walk away from him if the demands are huge, but to me that's a side effect and I wouldn't make the deal for only that reason.

Given the recent moves and expenditure of cap on Goodrow, Reaves (w/ 1 year extension), etc., almost any chance of running Zib and Eichel on the same roster for more than one season is gone. Playing around on CapFriendly ArmchairGM, there's only two avenues to make it happen. 1) Trouba is shipped out without getting back any salary 2) LTIR magic, Tampa style. If you can combine both, it gives some flexibility.

Operating under the assumption Strome/Kravtsov/Jones/Georgiev/1st is the package for Eichel.

But even just Eichel/Zib would be a lot of fun for one season. No question.

Given the recent moves and expenditure of cap on Goodrow, Reaves (w/ 1 year extension), etc., almost any chance of running Zib and Eichel on the same roster for more than one season is gone. Playing around on CapFriendly ArmchairGM, there's only two avenues to make it happen. 1) Trouba is shipped out without getting back any salary 2) LTIR magic, Tampa style. If you can combine both, it gives some flexibility.

Operating under the assumption Strome/Kravtsov/Jones/Georgiev/1st is the package for Eichel.

if that is the package then BUF would be retaining at least $3mil a year... or they can f off

if that is the package then BUF would be retaining at least $3mil a year... or they can f off

If 5 pieces go the other way, then yes, I agree Buffalo should retain salary.

But the above package doesn’t get you to 30% retention.

I don’t know if any plausible package would get you above 20-25% retention.

But if they got Eichel for say:

Schneider

Kravtsov

Strome

Georgiev

1st in 2022

I’d be happy with 20-25%

Schneider

Kravtsov

Strome

Georgiev

1st in 2022

I’d be happy with 20-25%

Not willing to move Schneider. We need a guy like him in the pipeline.

Georgiev barely counts as a piece, by the way. More or less, he's a throw in to clear his cap hit.

Well there is a way but one nobody would consider. Panarin for Eichel. Of course it wouldn't happen nor would Panarin waive his NMC but that would be only way of having Zib and Eichel long term together

Schneider

Kravtsov

Strome

Georgiev

1st in 2022

I’d be happy with 20-25%

thats a value of 4 1st round picks and about 3 2nd round picks for a guy who's going to require a handicap parking spot.

Not willing to move Schneider. We need a guy like him in the pipeline.

Georgiev barely counts as a piece, by the way. More or less, he's a throw in to clear his cap hit.

I get that, but we’ve seen the organizational attitude towards its D.

They only want to pay RH guys at RD.

You only have 3 spots.

Trouba and Fox aren’t going anywhere.

And you have Schneider and Lundkvist.

Lundkvist is the better prospect, and it’s hard to see them playing all 4.

So you trade 1.

thats a value of 4 1st round picks and about 3 2nd round picks for a guy who's going to require a handicap parking spot.

It’s basically 3 1’s and a 2, plus whatever you value Strome, but he’s really only there to give Buffalo a plug and play for a year.

As for the medical… yeah. But who knows.

I’m not an orthopedic surgeon.

Buffalo isn’t retaining

I don’t really think so either.

Funny thing though, is that if it makes their return better, they actually should.

We see it often in sports.

Teams dealing the star player don’t want to retain some salary.

I never understand why.

If you’re dealing that player, you’re generally in or about to be in a rebuild.

If you retain a percentage of salary on the player going out of town, and it gets you a better return, do it.

You’re rebuilding. The money you spend and your cap matter much less in a rebuild. The package you get back in return matters immensely.

Eat a percentage. Get a better package. Drive on.

Brooks theorizes that Kakko would be included for Eichel if Buffalo retains 50%. Eichel at a 5M cap hit...would Buffalo even consider that if they aren't going to be competitive for the next few years?

As the Jack Eichel Saga descends into scorched earth territory, with the center’s agents releasing a statement calling out the Buffalo organization while general manager Kevyn Adams attempts to pretend leverage is on his side, it occurs that the Sabres could come out of this whole if they are willing to retain 50 percent of the center’s cap hit in a trade.

Because if Eichel is only going to count at $5 million against the cap the remaining five years of his contract, then the Rangers would be in position to extend Mika Zibanejad in the $9 million range and present a powerhouse one-two punch down the middle for the foreseeable future.

There would still be a squeeze figuring that between $15 million and $16 million would have to be set aside for Igor Shesterkin and Adam Fox, but the Rangers should be able to maneuver through it.

And if general manager Chris Drury is confident he will be able to reach such an agreement with Zibanejad, that’s when he and the Rangers would have license to include Kaapo Kakko as the blue-chip centerpiece of an offer for Eichel, which might include either Filip Chytil or Vitaly Kravtsov, as well as Zac Jones or Matt Robertson or a first-rounder.