• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Interested in Eichel?

Pete

Probably just offering occasional advice on things through Zoom or something. lol

Honestly… I think that’s about what it is.

Even with Dolan and the relationship he and Sather have had over the years, generally speaking, anyone in a “consultant” role holds very little sway.

From what we understand, Sather isn’t even in NY the majority of the time.

He’s also about to turn 78 and a cancer survivor.

Not sure he’s really too involved in anything at this point in his life.

And I’m not an ageist.

Just don’t think he’s working all that much or is particularly very much involved

Same. I think he's literally what his title says — an advisor.

"Slats, thinking of signing so and so — any insights here?"

"Slats, thinking of hiring so and so in scouting — you worked with his old boss. Think you could help get a meeting together?"

That kind of thing.

• Like 1

Same. I think he's literally what his title says — an advisor.

"Slats, thinking of signing so and so — any insights here?"

"Slats, thinking of hiring so and so in scouting — you worked with his old boss. Think you could help get a meeting together?"

That kind of thing.

Yup.

Just a sounding board at this point.

Does Georgiev become part of the trade to Buffalo since they’re the only ones without an NHL goaltender currently?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully. He wants out, he wants to start. Not much in his way in Buffalo. Plus it would hopefully be one less asset going to Buffalo.

I guess the Rangers go with Kinkaid as backup? Not much left in free agency.

Hopefully. He wants out, he wants to start. Not much in his way in Buffalo. Plus it would hopefully be one less asset going to Buffalo.

I guess the Rangers go with Kinkaid as backup? Not much left in free agency.

Lundqvist

He would definitely get more playing time in Buffalo. There are still a couple backup prospects out there, like Brossoit. But, they could just very well stick with Kinkaid since he played respectably. He would probably be a bit cheaper too.

Brossoit signed with Vegas. Rask, Dubnyk, Lundqvist, Nilsson, McElhinney remain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plot twist: Lundqvist signed with Washington to merely use them to pay for his heart procedures and will return to the Rangers now.

Much as I want him home, I'm not sure he can legally return while still on the Rangers' buyout list. He has one year left (this coming one).

I think it winds up as kravtsov, chytil, Jones, and a first. If I’m drury I do it while I have cheap and good wingers and roll my dice on moving trouba or Kreider next year in a fleury style trade.

Can’t move both Chytil & Kravtsov. They already lost Buchnevich and their #2 RW from last season.

They’d need to ask Goodrow or kreider to swap to RW, and then do gauthier and kakko up the right. Is it a risk? Sure, but it’s the list that makes sense for both teams unless Buffalo wants strome, which I’m not sure they do.

Kakko, Gauthier and Goodrow have a combined 46 points for their careers.

You can’t take a huge step forward with this summers signings and follow it up by losing all of your skill.

We’ll be back here in 3 seasons paying out the ass for top 6 wingers.

The assumption and the hope is that over the next 1, 2 and 3 seasons that Lafreniere, Kakko and Kravtsov all take steps into becoming consistent producers. We drafted them where we drafted them and now we’re gonna sink or swim with them. I feel confident in the trio to produce at this level.

But the prudent call did nothing to address the lingering uncertainty in the middle, where the club is caught in a holding pattern created by pending extension talks with Mika Zibanejad, pending trade talks with Buffalo about Jack Eichel and ambiguity about the plan for Ryan Strome.

Until the issue is resolved, until Drury essentially chooses between extending Zibanejad and trading for Eichel, the 2021-22 Rangers are just a fuzzy picture. It all flows from there.

This is reminiscent of the situation around Rick Nash during the summer of 2012. At age 28 and with six years remaining on his contract at an AAV of $7.8 million per, Nash wanted out of Columbus. He had a no-move clause that he’d only waive to come to the Rangers. Glen Sather, then the general manager, had tried to acquire Nash at the trade deadline before negotiations broke down because of the Jackets’ greed.

Talks resumed after the Blueshirts had been beaten in the conference finals by the Devils. The Rangers were bidding against themselves. There was no deal at the draft. There was no deal when the free-agent market opened on July 1. No deal the following week, the week after or even the week after that.

The deal was made on July 23. The Rangers protected their most valuable young assets — at one time Columbus was “demanding” some sort of permutation that would have included Chris Kreider or Derek Stepan and J.T Miller or Carl Hagelin and/or Brandon Dubinsky and Ryan McDonagh and/or Michael Del Zotto — before finally sending Dubinsky, Artem Anisimov, Tim Erixon and a first-rounder to Columbus for Nash.

Sather did not panic. Neither should Drury. There is no rush. There is no deadline on this. If the Rangers are outbid by Vegas or an unidentified mystery team, so be it. The Blueshirts have every bit as much leverage as Buffalo. It would be malpractice for Drury not to use it.

https://nypost.com/2021/07/28/rangers-should-not-panic-in-jack-eichel-trade-talks/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Agree with Brooks here. Drury has opened the necessary cap space, has the necessary assets, and has no real rush other than fan impatience.

1) As we saw yesterday, some of the teams that might have been in on Eichel have effectively dropped out or at least seen their Cap situation become incredibly complicated as far as adding a $10M contract.

2) The Rangers, as they stand, do not have a short term glaring hole at center. Zib/Strome is a top 1/3 of the league tandem while the Rangers have very strong top end wing depth.

3) The holding pattern on Eichel has not stopped the Rangers from improving other holes in their lineup, which was bottom-6 physicality and a bottom pair defender who can actually defend.

Really, all Drury has to do is not blink. At some point the Sabres will have to. They are the ones with the disgruntled player. When the Sabres call for that final offer because they are going to move him for one of the packages available, if it isn't the Rangers at the top then Drury can decide how much above their current offer they are willing to go. If Eichel goes elsewhere, the Rangers will be just fine.

• Like 2

Agree with Brooks here. Drury has opened the necessary cap space, has the necessary assets, and has no real rush other than fan impatience.

1) As we saw yesterday, some of the teams that might have been in on Eichel have effectively dropped out or at least seen their Cap situation become incredibly complicated as far as adding a $10M contract.

2) The Rangers, as they stand, do not have a short term glaring hole at center. Zib/Strome is a top 1/3 of the league tandem while the Rangers have very strong top end wing depth.

3) The holding pattern on Eichel has not stopped the Rangers from improving other holes in their lineup, which was bottom-6 physicality and a bottom pair defender who can actually defend.

Really, all Drury has to do is not blink. At some point the Sabres will have to. They are the ones with the disgruntled player. When the Sabres call for that final offer because they are going to move him for one of the packages available, if it isn't the Rangers at the top then Drury can decide how much above their current offer they are willing to go. If Eichel goes elsewhere, the Rangers will be just fine.

Exactly this.

Do it at you price point, or a small price increase you're comfortable with or don't at all. It's no skin off the Rangers' backs either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

At this point, I think the writing for the deal is on the wall. It's Chytil, Jones, 1st, (mid-range piece).

The Kings are out given the Danault signing. The Knights are capped out - may or may not matter. The Wild are basically built once they've signed Kaprizov and Fiala. We're all that's left.

The one wildcard here - and I do think this might matter - is that once the Sabres deal Eichel, they're going to be something like 15M (pending the return) under the cap floor. And their RFA group won't make that.