• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Interested in Eichel?

Pete

I'm not bringing in anybody who can't skate. Stepan,Getzlaf, Zajac are all way to slow. They all had great careers but I'd much rather go with what we got than "upgrade" with any of them. Krejci would be different because he still produces at a top 6 level and he can still play with pace.

I do think this team badly needs that Shannahan type guy. This is a very young team and a guy the kids could gravitate to and just soak up hockey from would go miles for their growth. Bergeron would be the absolute grand slam. Assuming he would ever leave Boston he would fill multiple holes and the added bonus of the French Canadian background would probably do Laffy wonders. I know he's probably a pipe dream but here are some others I would consider. Giroux to me is a hard no as well. He's always been kind of a clown. Great talent but a wasted talent in my view. Some pedigree here is what I want. I'm not looking for Laffy modeling this career after a Giroux. I'm molding Laffy to win cups not scoring titles.

Bergeron

Toews

Kopitar

Backstrom

O'reilly

Point

Lesser degree but would think about it

Schenn

Pavelski

J. Staal

Coulture

I mentioned Kopitar in the Eichel alternatives thread, and the more I think about it the more I like it if the Kings were to retain 2.5-3M. I wouldn't want him at 3 years/10M per, but 3 years/7-7.5M per? I think so.

7-7.5m per, for third line Center? Or are you trying to replace Strome on the second line?

If third line Center, its enormous amount of money.

If replacing Strome, i rather have Strome. He is younger, and jells with the team.

Let me add a little, i like Kopitar, big man, has experience and 2 cups.

The negatives for me is cap hit and age.

I believe when Rangers are in position to go after the cup, he will be 37-38 years old. He will not be the same. By that time is contract expires.

I mentioned Kopitar in the Eichel alternatives thread, and the more I think about it the more I like it if the Kings were to retain 2.5-3M. I wouldn't want him at 3 years/10M per, but 3 years/7-7.5M per? I think so.

Honestly, none of them move the needle for me at all. I'd sooner make a trade.

Agreed.

None of those guys really help in the role they are looking to fill.

Better to go out on the trade market and spend the assets wisely to bring back the right player that actually fills the role appropriately.

• 3 weeks later...

Hard to trust somebody when they refer to themselves in the 3rd person tbh lol.

I was already backing off wanting to get him because I think the team needs to construct the roster a bit differently, but with the injury concerns on top of it all, I don't see paying the price for him. Then again, Buffalo may have to take a soggy shit sandwich of a return for him...

I dunno about Eichel anymore.

Buffalo would be asking a lot to want multiple significant pieces for a guy locked into a 10m/y contract, coming off a neck injury that you apparently didn't let him have treated, and isn't really that big an upgrade over Zibanejad - or even Strome.

I dunno about Eichel anymore.

Buffalo would be asking a lot to want multiple significant pieces for a guy locked into a 10m/y contract, coming off a neck injury that you apparently didn't let him have treated, and isn't really that big an upgrade over Zibanejad - or even Strome.

Well no. He's a much better than Strome. And better than Mika.

Unfortunately for Buffalo, Eichel doesn't want to be there and they're gonna get pennies on the dollar for his return. I don't know if the Rangers need to be in on it or not but he's 100% better than any of the centers on our team.

Well no. He's a much better than Strome. And better than Mika.

Unfortunately for Buffalo, Eichel doesn't want to be there and they're gonna get pennies on the dollar for his return. I don't know if the Rangers need to be in on it or not but he's 100% better than any of the centers on our team.

Well, one has to ask seeing as Strome's going to cost us nothing but cap space next season, isn't coming off a neck injury, and kept pace with Eichel's pre-injury production this year.

Trading a .85 p/g center (or somehow removing him) for a career .95 p/g center that will cost you multiple blue chip assets has to be seen in the full context, and given all of this, you have to wonder how much of an upgrade he really is. Or, you need to bank on Buffalo being such a shitty wasteland that Eichel's suppressed like Panarin was in Columbus.

Hard to calculate whether it's actually worth it.

Well, one has to ask seeing as Strome's going to cost us nothing but cap space next season, isn't coming off a neck injury, and kept pace with Eichel's pre-injury production this year.

Trading a .85 p/g center (or somehow removing him) for a career .95 p/g center that will cost you multiple blue chip assets has to be seen in the full context, and given all of this, you have to wonder how much of an upgrade he really is. Or, you need to bank on Buffalo being such a shitty wasteland that Eichel's suppressed like Panarin was in Columbus.

Hard to calculate whether it's actually worth it.

PPG isn't what's important here. Try being a PPG player with two turds on your wing as opposed to Artemi Panarin. One's impressive. The other not so much. Eichel is a lot like Zib before we got him, only he's a Superstar in the making - not just a star.

Again, not necessarily advocating for Eichel (mostly based on the money), but he'd be the best player on this team.

PPG isn't what's important here. Try being a PPG player with two turds on your wing as opposed to Artemi Panarin. One's impressive. The other not so much. Eichel is a lot like Zib before we got him, only he's a Superstar in the making - not just a star.

Again, not necessarily advocating for Eichel (mostly based on the money), but he'd be the best player on this team.

Man, I thought I was the most impressed by Eichel's skill. You got me beat. I'd stop short of calling him better than Panarin...and Fox for that matter. But he's in that category if healthy.

By the way, zero concern about the money for Eichel if Zib is out or if Strome and Buch are out.

Two turds?

Taylor Hall

Sam Reinhart

Victor Olofsson

Jeff Skinner

Evander Kane

Looks like they surrounded him with top 10 picks and a rookie that came in and scored 20 goals.

Two turds?

Taylor Hall

Sam Reinhart

Victor Olofsson

Jeff Skinner

Evander Kane

Looks like they surrounded him with top 10 picks and a rookie that came in and scored 20 goals.

So you're telling me Buffalo is good? What are you saying? Jeff Skinner is a 4th liner. Evander Kane is a 40 pt player. Taylor Hall hasn't been good since 2018.

I'm not sure what kind of point you're trying to make. Eichel got Skinner PAID, not the other way around.

This is still a no for me because of the cap space, but I really don't buy the argument that Eichel wouldn't be the best center here. He's two clicks above strome and one above Mika it's really not close. He's a lot closer to Panarin than he is to Mika bc he makes everyone around him better, just like he did with a lot of the players on that team. It's not his fault it's a shithole to play hockey in.

The biggest issue is that while he's better than Mika, he's definitely not 4.5M better than Mika, which is the gap today, and he's also probably not 2M better than Mika, which is what the gap probably will be around when Mika signs his next contract.

We're not really in a place right now where we have any bad contracts in the middle, so while yeah, this player would be a huge upgrade, I just don't see the need for him when we have other gaps that really, really, need filling.

The only play I see here is that we're looking for culture change and behind the scenes it's somehow all Mika's fault. then yeah, go for it.

By the way, zero concern about the money for Eichel if Zib is out or if Strome and Buch are out.

I'm not concerned about the money. I'm concerned about the cost to acquire.

I mean, he's going to take up 12% of our cap, so yeah, I guess I'm a little concerned about the money.

So you're telling me Buffalo is good? What are you saying? Jeff Skinner is a 4th liner. Evander Kane is a 40 pt player. Taylor Hall hasn't been good since 2018.

I'm not sure what kind of point you're trying to make. Eichel got Skinner PAID, not the other way around.

The point is that Buffalo didn't exactly surround him with scrubs. He had talent around him.

Nothing like a Panarin, mind you, but he's not playing with Buzz Flibbett and Freddy Blueger out here.

The point is that Buffalo didn't exactly surround him with scrubs. He had talent around him.

Nothing like a Panarin, mind you, but he's not playing with Buzz Flibbett and Freddy Blueger out here.

Eichel has never had a team around him. Ever. I didn't know that was even a debate honestly.

Jeff Skinner was a muti-time 30 goal scorer before going to Buf and scoring 40. You mean to tell me another player in that spot would have scored more?

Kane's time in Buf: 20 goals in 65 games and 20 goals in 61. That's a turd?

Taylor Hall has 12 points in 15 games playing along side Krejci, maybe Eichel is the turd?

The point is Eichel has had decent enough linemates.

• Like 1

I mean, he's going to take up 12% of our cap, so yeah, I guess I'm a little concerned about the money.

This guy gets it.

I'm only concerned about cost to acquire with the injury revelations.

12% of our cap, yes, but much cheaper than Strome and Buch combined, and probably only slightly more than Zibanejad's next contract. So if you're concerned with the cap for Eichel, you should be concerned about the cap with Zib or both Buch and Strome on the roster.

Eichel has never had a team around him. Ever. I didn't know that was even a debate honestly.

Well, that's not moving the goalposts at all here.

Buffalo has repeatedly brought in talented wingers to be Eichel's ride-or-die. Aside from Skinner, it hasn't worked well. Let's not sit here and pretend Buffalo hasn't actually tried.