• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Interested in Eichel?

Pete

I don't know how much I buy the Eichel downplaying. I still don't think they need him, but it's really difficult to uncouple a player so closely linked to the team until he's actually traded elsewhere.

Yea I mean nothings official but I just dont see how getting him helps this team in the areas it needs help in. And the cost alone to get him scares me. Carp is usually on the money though with "rumors" like this.

I think Drury is of similar mindset of everyone else - this team has to be tougher to play against. Does Eichel do that?

With Eichel, you are immediately replacing Strome or Zibanejad, plus replacing the next other the following offseason due to cap restrictions, as Eichel costs Strome + Zibanejad in cap space alone. Eichel-Chytil scares me defensively. Not to mention Strome and Z are the to PK centers in NY, so you dont have those anymore either.

I think Drury is of similar mindset of everyone else - this team has to be tougher to play against. Does Eichel do that?

With Eichel, you are immediately replacing Strome or Zibanejad, plus replacing the next other the following offseason due to cap restrictions, as Eichel costs Strome + Zibanejad in cap space alone. Eichel-Chytil scares me defensively. Not to mention Strome and Z are the to PK centers in NY, so you dont have those anymore either.

and Strome-Chytil doesnt? who's going back to buffalo? im sure they'd asking for Zibby to try and replace production. then we're looking at Eichel, Strome, and Chytil down the middle, which deflates the purpose of this trade

and Strome-Chytil doesnt? who's going back to buffalo? im sure they'd asking for Zibby to try and replace production. then we're looking at Eichel, Strome, and Chytil down the middle, which deflates the purpose of this trade

Sort of. I mean it's not going to happen but hypothetically you'd rather have a 25 year old Eichel, IF healthy, over a 28 year old Zibanejad with a history of concussions. Once Zib gets his new deal, you're probably looking at a slim difference in cap hit.

Sort of. I mean it's not going to happen but hypothetically you'd rather have a 25 year old Eichel, IF healthy, over a 28 year old Zibanejad with a history of concussions. Once Zib gets his new deal, you're probably looking at a slim difference in cap hit.

Yes. But, even such, Zibanejad can play that 2nd Center, shutdown, defensive guy, top PKer and still offer the shot on the first or 2nd PP unit, might not be the same point production we've seen the last few seasons - but he has that to fall back on. Eichel doesnt.

There were questions before the injury. But, with the neck issues, making the contract an issue, plus the past issues with coaches and management... Plus, why do they need to add offense when they where 10th in the league in goals - during a season their PP was questionable, Zibanejad was a no show for the first half, Panarin missed significant time, Kreider ghosted, and they have a ton of young talent that are expected to increase their offensive production significantly over the next few seasons.

Not to mention Strome and Z are the to PK centers in NY, so you dont have those anymore either.

This is something that absolutely needs to come to an end. I do not want my 1st line center killing penalties. I'm not crazy about the 2 C doing it either. That role MUST be addressed this off season. I think Rooney makes a fine 2nd pairing PK center. They need a go to PK/faceoff guy. I think less responsibility and wear and tear can help Zibanejad and Strome stay fresh and in the lineup. The upgrades to the roster need to include this as part of the game plan. Less dirty work for the top offensive players.

This is something that absolutely needs to come to an end. I do not want my 1st line center killing penalties. I'm not crazy about the 2 C doing it either. That role MUST be addressed this off season. I think Rooney makes a fine 2nd pairing PK center. They need a go to PK/faceoff guy. I think less responsibility and wear and tear can help Zibanejad and Strome stay fresh and in the lineup. The upgrades to the roster need to include this as part of the game plan. Less dirty work for the top offensive players.

What if I suggested KZB play more* (I mean, pretty much the same as last season) special team time, and less even strength time.

And “less” isn’t a lot less. There were plenty of times last season that line was out for a 2 min PP, Lafreniere- Blackwell - Smith went out for 30 seconds followed by the KZB line. Then a commercial, and the KZB line is still out there. Kids should be producing more, and they can really start using players’ minutes wisely, effectively and efficiently

Zib and Strome played every game last season.

I don't think Strome missed a game since coming here.

Zib's injuries have nothing to do with penalty killing.

How does taking them off PK help keep them in the lineup?

• Like 1

Zib and Strome played every game last season.

I don't think Strome missed a game since coming here.

Zib's injuries have nothing to do with penalty killing.

How does taking them off PK help keep them in the lineup?

Agree with leaving Zib there entirely. Not only is he very effective there, but it helps him get his minutes and also helps the PK when there's a legit Shortie threat at any moment.

Nobody said the Stanley Cup playoffs had to be over before Jack Eichel potentially gets moved.

And while I’m not saying the star center will get traded before the end of the playoffs, what I’m hearing is that conversations between the Buffalo Sabres and other interested teams are getting more intense and serious.

So read into that what you will. The next few weeks could be intriguing on that front.

And I would imagine Sabres GM Kevyn Adams would be counting on a first-round pick to be used the night of July 23 in this year’s draft in any package so the clock indeed is ticking.

Teams I believe make sense: Los Angeles, Minnesota, Anaheim, Columbus, Philadelphia and the Rangers, among others.

The Kings want to make a splashy move for a top-6 forward, the Wild could use another top center, and the Jackets (who have three first-round picks this year) of course really, really need a No. 1 center.

https://theathletic.com/2655206/2021/06/16/lebrun-the-jack-eichel-sweepstakes-have-begun-nhl-coaching-carousel-news/

I think Zibanejad is a very strong PK player, but he should be on the 2nd unit where he gets some time but it's not an expectation for him to get the bulk of the work. Mostly for the reasons you've stated. I'd rather he be fresher at even strength and on the PP.

Strome, on the other hand, is a bad defender and he is awful at faceoffs. He shouldn't be PKing because of that, but he only got half the PK time as Zibanejad and Howden.

What if I suggested KZB play more* (I mean, pretty much the same as last season) special team time, and less even strength time.

And “less” isn’t a lot less. There were plenty of times last season that line was out for a 2 min PP, Lafreniere- Blackwell - Smith went out for 30 seconds followed by the KZB line. Then a commercial, and the KZB line is still out there. Kids should be producing more, and they can really start using players’ minutes wisely, effectively and efficiently

I'd rather things be split more evenly. Hot hand should be getting the minutes in all situations.

Some nights KZB doesn't have it going. When that's the case, the coach should adjust and play whomever is buzzing more. I think Gallant will do that.

As for Zibs injuries. I'd rather err on the side of caution and NOT have my top center out there blocking shots. I don't have a list of his injuries, but the guy is pretty brittle.

I think the Rangers have been too reliant on the top 6 in all situations. Cutting them out of the PK gets the lower line guys a role to contribute in.

Hence why we should be looking for lower line players who can play. Otherwise, why are we having any discussions on improving those spots? Why would any potential addition need the attributes we keep talking about? Do we REALLY need to improve the 2nd PK unit? What do we need a faceoff expert for? Why would they come here to dwindle on the 4th line and NOT kill penalties? If you're going for that player, you're using him as your top PK guy. They won't be happy getting Gauthier type minutes.

Keep your offensive talent in offensive roles. You're supposed to be looking for defensive forwards and centers to fill that need.

• Like 1

Im just so torn on whether or not I want us to trade for him.

Everything is going in the right direction for us, so on the one hand I say dont fix what isnt broken, let it grow organically. Another hand says, Eichel puts us over the top.

We dont know what the asking price is, or will be. So I will just say this.

Untouchables in a trade for Eichel

Panarin

Zibanejad

Kakko

Lafrenierre

Fox

Lundkvist

Wouldn't be happy giving up Jones or Schneider either.

So what does that leave us with that makes a fair offer? probably not much. No team that is in a position where they have to trade an Eichel level player should expect a fair deal in return. but they'll need something they can sell to their fanbase that will make them feel like it's worth it to move on. No player at this type of level should be viewed as a 'definitely don't trade for him' every player has a value that makes it fair and worth it to bring them in. I don't see us being willing to give up what they will want.

Even the forum doesn't want to trade for Eichel.

We've waived the NMC on this thread; resume discussion.

I just don't think he's what we need, G. He's very talented, sure, but we have plenty of talent. We need a "different breed" in my opinion. I still think we're closer to being a force than a lot of people think....

...and it should be a lot easier to buy/trade for 3 bottom 6 players that can play up and down the lineup.

But the book on Eichel for me is closed....I'd rather have Zibby/Strome as #1/#2....but we need to get Zibby locked up...Strome too, eventually!