• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Interested in Eichel?

Pete

I’m fine with getting Eichel, though I don’t think he fills a glaring need. But if you can get a player of this caliber at pennies on the dollar in terms of asset management, then sure. Especially if you are trading Strome, who I like, in the process. If they retain on Eichel and take Strome, you’re talking about (for next season at the very least) adding Eichel for only a few million.

They need to make sure there is enough cap space and trade capital to address their holes in the bottom-6. If you can get Eichel while doing that, all power to you.

But, this is all speculation because we first need to know what is going on with his neck.

Inside the Sabres: Evaluating 5 possible landing spots for Jack Eichel

New York Rangers

Projected cap space: $23.775 million.

Potential NHL targets: Center Filip Chytil, winger Kaapo Kakko, winger Vitali Kravtsov, goalie Alex Georgiev, defenseman K’Andre Miller, Pavel Buchnevich.

Prospects to consider: Center Morgan Barron, winger Lauri Pajuniemi, center Karl Henriksson, defenseman Zac Jones, winger Will Cuylle, defenseman Nils Lundqvist.

The Rangers can make an Eichel trade work if they are willing to move Alexis Lafreniere or Kaapo Kakko, but it sounds like newly appointed General Manager Chris Drury doesn’t want to go that route.

The Sabres also aren’t in need of a defenseman, so neither K’Andre Miller nor Nils Lundqvist are all that attractive as part of an Eichel trade. A package built around Filip Chytil, Vitali Kravtsov and Alex Georgiev would not be enough for me to pull the trigger on a deal, either.

The Rangers can try to convince Adams by agreeing to part with Pavel Buchnevich, a 26-year-old wing with 20 goals in 54 games this season. Buchnevich is a restricted free agent, but the Sabres can afford to give him a new contract.

Buffalo also should push to acquire winger Vitali Kravtsov. A 21-year-old who spent most of this past season in Russia, Kravtsov was drafted ninth overall in 2018. Georgiev, 25, has a .912 save percentage in 96 career NHL games.

While the Rangers have a glaring need at center and reportedly had interest in Eichel last offseason, they likely won't be willing to part with the assets necessary to make a deal that works for Buffalo.

Possible trade package: Buchnevich, Kravtsov, Georgiev and a 2021 first-round draft pick (15th overall).

https://buffalonews.com/sports/sabres/inside-the-sabres-evaluating-5-possible-landing-spots-for-jack-eichel/article_7151340e-c868-11eb-9d0e-671f5ae72530.html

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

It's not an awful proposal by any means, but the fact it includes (arguably) the Rangers top two right-wings makes it logistically uncomfortable. The post-trade solution, barring a free agent signing, would effectively be to move Kreider to the right (something I've already suggested should happen sooner rather than later anyway) and then hope and pray Kakko's much improved defense finally brings along some offense with it as the team's 2RW.

Panarin - Eichel - Kreider

Lafreniere - Zibanejad - Kakko

Blackwell - Strome - Chytil

Barron - Rooney - Gauthier

It's not an awful proposal by any means, but the fact it includes (arguably) the Rangers top two right-wings makes it logistically uncomfortable. The post-trade solution, barring a free agent signing, would effectively be to move Kreider to the right (something I've already suggested should happen sooner rather than later anyway) and then hope and pray Kakko's much improved defense finally brings along some offense with it as the team's 2RW.

Panarin - Eichel - Kreider

Lafreniere - Zibanejad - Kakko

Blackwell - Strome - Chytil

Barron - Rooney - Gauthier

Need a heavyweight to ride shotgun.

Need a heavyweight to ride shotgun.

That's not my suggested lineup, it's what you basically end up with barring any other moves.

Drew a Penalty and I were talking offline and came to the same solution for the fourth line: sign Martinook and Bellemare.

Bellemare - Rooney - Martinook

Probably carry Barron as an exra to sub in and out with Bellemare throughout the season.

The trouble is, whatever package you might send for Eichel, it would not leave enough, or at least not permit enough flexibility, for the get grit deals.

That depends on what is being shipped out the door. If you send Strome and say Buchnevich together in a deal, you are only talking about adding another $2.25 Million to the cap.

Trading for Eichel would bring us back to the Phil Esposito school of management. I wouldn't sign the guy right now if he were a UFA at $10m plus, so I certainly wouldn't give up significant assets for the privilege of paying him that.

I've been going back and forth on it more lately, leaning more towards 'no. The neck issue is concerning and any team who wants to trade for him really should do their homework when it comes to injury like that. If it's something that's going to permanently hamper a skilled player like that, I would worry, especially as they get older. A skilled player who could have a hard time actually keeping his neck on a swivel is not ideal. I also don't think he seems to have the best attitude. I know Buffalo has been really bad and he's frustrated and speaking out, I get it. But, there's something about him that just rubs me the wrong way.

I'd much rather they moved Buchnevich, Jones and Blackwell for Reinhart and a pick. Reinhart has a tremendous shot. He doesn't pass up shots. He's a north-south guy. Tough. On a better team he will pump in 35-40 goals every year. He's the guy I would target there.

I'd much rather they moved Buchnevich, Jones and Blackwell for Reinhart and a pick. Reinhart has a tremendous shot. He doesn't pass up shots. He's a north-south guy. Tough. On a better team he will pump in 35-40 goals every year. He's the guy I would target there.

Good player. Underrated. Putting up three straight 20+ goal seasons for the Sabres is no easy feat.

dont see the reason to trade all of that for someone we already have in Buch. But i definitely love Reinhart

Oh, I like Reinhart! We might even be able to get him for less than that. ;)

Reinhart is also a RFA coming off a $5.2 million dollar deal, so he may cost more than what Buffalo is willing to spend right now. It seems pretty likely that Eichel is pretty much outta there, so they may wanna start rebuilding AGAIN! LOL

Reinhart getting talked about a lot ... he just doesnt move the needle for me. I rarely notice him when watching the Sabres. He does shoot, but other than that, he leaves a lot to be desired. He's almost a Mike Hoffman at this point. But Reinhart is a right handed shot. Where is he lining up? He's not getting the shooting spots on any PP in NY.

I dont see the toughness or grit in his game everyone loves to bring up, either. It's not the best stat but he had 15 hits in 54 games. Eichel had 20 hits in 21 games. Panarin had 13 hits in 42 games.

Again, shooting, skill, talent, offense isn't a team need. Someone that hits someone, as much as its an MSG cliche, is needed.

Reinhart getting talked about a lot ... he just doesnt move the needle for me. I rarely notice him when watching the Sabres. He does shoot, but other than that, he leaves a lot to be desired. He's almost a Mike Hoffman at this point. But Reinhart is a right handed shot. Where is he lining up? He's not getting the shooting spots on any PP in NY.

I dont see the toughness or grit in his game everyone loves to bring up, either. It's not the best stat but he had 15 hits in 54 games. Eichel had 20 hits in 21 games. Panarin had 13 hits in 42 games.

Again, shooting, skill, talent, offense isn't a team need. Someone that hits someone, as much as its an MSG cliche, is needed.

It's a devil you know scenario if I've ever seen one. Nice player, definitely, but I'd probably just as soon keep Buch, who I know (and who is lefty).

Agreed. Reinhart feels like change for the sake of change. Not actually fixing anything.

• Like 1

I'm staunchly against moving Buch. He's the only top 6 guy that doesn't shy away from mixing it up, and he's just hitting his stride as a great all-around winger. Let's not forget he was on our #1 PK and was DAMN good at it, in addition to being one of our most productive players for their price.

I'll get lambasted for this, but after the thing with Eichel's neck, and his general "trade me" attitude (including the publicity that comes with it), I wouldn't even do Buch straight up for him. He's a one dimensional guy with too much controversy for someone so young.

I'm staunchly against moving Buch. He's the only top 6 guy that doesn't shy away from mixing it up, and he's just hitting his stride as a great all-around winger. Let's not forget he was on our #1 PK and was DAMN good at it, in addition to being one of our most productive players for their price.

I'll get lambasted for this, but after the thing with Eichel's neck, and his general "trade me" attitude (including the publicity that comes with it), I wouldn't even do Buch straight up for him. He's a one dimensional guy with too much controversy for someone so young.

take away Eichels rookie season and he is over a point per game player in his career on the biggest sh*t show franchise in the NHL, Buch wouldn't even crack .5ppg over there. The Sabres have been weighed down by looney front office moves in the big pay days to Okposo & Skinner, Guy is playing with different players every single year, no stability. With that said im not trading away the future for him but if he can be had at a discount im for it. Not overpaying for him as it makes it hard, near impossible to afford Zibanejad, unless Krieder gets traded or abducted by aliens, which ever works.