• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Interested in Eichel?

Pete

But what incentive would either Kreider or Trouba have to agree to be moved to Buffalo? Sure would be helpful to us to help offset Eichel's incoming salary giving us some flexibility but I can't see it being a real possibility.

Haven't worked out another way to make the money work long-term. One of them almost has to go for cap reasons alone.

• Like 1

Haven't worked out another way to make the money work long-term. One of them almost has to go for cap reasons alone.

I'm with you there, might be a hurdle in itself they can't clear without crippling themselves going forward.

Not sure why Buffalo wouldn’t be holding all the cards here. More teams than the rangers would be lining up for Eichel. We can talk about all the ways to make this trade not painful but that is a pipe dream. You have to give to get. I honestly see no issue including kakko or laf in a deal like that. Either plus a protected 1st would be ok with me.

Probably takes something Kakko, Miller, Georgiev, 1st

Lundkvist isn’t signed. Buffalo would be stupid to ask for him.

I don’t do this trade now. Adding Eichel doesn’t make them a contender, IMO.

As I’ve said; I’d rather wait a season more for McDavid.

• Like 1

Probably takes something Kakko, Miller, Georgiev, 1st

Lundkvist isn’t signed. Buffalo would be stupid to ask for him.

I don’t do this trade now. Adding Eichel doesn’t make them a contender, IMO.

As I’ve said; I’d rather wait a season more for McDavid.

McDavid is a pipe dream. Even with that said, Eichel would help you net McDavid more than anything the Rangers currently have.

Not sure why Buffalo wouldn’t be holding all the cards here. More teams than the rangers would be lining up for Eichel. We can talk about all the ways to make this trade not painful but that is a pipe dream. You have to give to get. I honestly see no issue including kakko or laf in a deal like that. Either plus a protected 1st would be ok with me.

Few if any teams have the cap, assets, or frankly, dollars to make the deal. It's the Rangers, the Kings, and maybe the Devils.

Eichel wants out. Buffalo has cap and liquidity issues. There are at maximum three suitors, and there are 16 months until Eichel's NMC kicks in. Clock is ticking.

Few if any teams have the cap, assets, or frankly, dollars to make the deal. It's the Rangers, the Kings, and maybe the Devils.

Eichel wants out. Buffalo has cap and liquidity issues. There are at maximum three suitors, and there are 16 months until Eichel's NMC kicks in. Clock is ticking.

More than 3 teams will emerge as suitors if he becomes available. The teams you mention are the best positioned now. When a talent like Eichel hits the market there is no telling what could go the other way to get it done. It could be as simple as star for star swap. Those trades are not common place but Buffalo may feel the need to do something like that because that franchise is in tough shape. Meaning the fans will not be sold on drafting their next star being how well the Eichel era worked out for them. Think something like Seth Jones for Eichel straight up

Eichel can go elsewhere. I don't think he's the answer, fellas. Especially for that steep a price. There will be other free agents that will cost money and not players. There will be a time to strike....now is not the time....not in my eyes.

While Eichel will improve the team down the middle, i think he is Zibanijad type of player. We don’t need a copy of Zib, and we definitely don’t need to give up so much for him.

If we are giving up so much, I’d rather have Draisaitle, Mathews type of player.

I’d love to have McDavid, but that’s a pipe dream.

I think it's way too much to offer for a guy I find to be not any better than Zibby....not to mention that 10 million dollar tag that comes with him.

I also just realized Nathan MacKinnon makes less than Kreider!! I think I'm gonna be sick! :puke:

The natural progression of building a contender demands strong center play. I think we can all agree that the Rangers biggest weakness organizationally is at center.

This really is a Mika question. What is he?

If he's an actual number 1 center than Eichel is not needed and an upgrade over Strome to a more well rounded number 2 guy would be far less expensive and easier to acquire. Chytil could become that guy but time will tell.

If Mika is not a number 1, than there is a big problem as there is nobody within the organization who projects to develop into one. They would be forced to go out and get one and number 1 centers almost never hit the market.

Eichel is locked up at a fair price and is still under 25. I can't imagine a better option becoming available but with the flat cap who knows. A trade for Eichel would not be same old Rangers, signing a 30 year UFA like Brad Richards would be same old Rangers. Eichel still has 7-8 prime years ahead of him.

There isn't a player on the Rangers roster that I wouldn't include in a deal for him. Of course there are guys I would really try to avoid dealing and I rate them this way in order of importance to keeping.

1. Miller (size speed potential of being dominate player for the next 10-15 years)

2. Igor (can't contend without a capable goalie)

3. Laf (purely based on potential)

4. Kakko (potential and steps taken this year looks like he's developing into a stud)

5. Fox (better than the sum of his skills, not fast, not big, not a great shot, he's just good that said he's overrated by Ranger fans but underrated around the league)

6. Chytil (he's developing and a center which is a weakness we are trying to strengthen)

7. Panarin (only because he's older and making tons of money would I place him here)

Would trade for a bag of pucks to make cap space: Trouba and Kreider

If I'm the Rangers I offer two packages for Buffalo to choose from:

Fox, Kravtsov, Barron/Robertson, and 1st

or

Chytil, Lundqvist, Barron/Robertson, 1st

The natural progression of building a contender demands strong center play. I think we can all agree that the Rangers biggest weakness organizationally is at center.

This really is a Mika question. What is he?

If he's an actual number 1 center than Eichel is not needed and an upgrade over Strome to a more well rounded number 2 guy would be far less expensive and easier to acquire. Chytil could become that guy but time will tell.

If Mika is not a number 1, than there is a big problem as there is nobody within the organization who projects to develop into one. They would be forced to go out and get one and number 1 centers almost never hit the market.

Eichel is locked up at a fair price and is still under 25. I can't imagine a better option becoming available but with the flat cap who knows. A trade for Eichel would not be same old Rangers, signing a 30 year UFA like Brad Richards would be same old Rangers. Eichel still has 7-8 prime years ahead of him.

There isn't a player on the Rangers roster that I wouldn't include in a deal for him. Of course there are guys I would really try to avoid dealing and I rate them this way in order of importance to keeping.

1. Miller (size speed potential of being dominate player for the next 10-15 years)

2. Igor (can't contend without a capable goalie)

3. Laf (purely based on potential)

4. Kakko (potential and steps taken this year looks like he's developing into a stud)

5. Fox (better than the sum of his skills, not fast, not big, not a great shot, he's just good that said he's overrated by Ranger fans but underrated around the league)

6. Chytil (he's developing and a center which is a weakness we are trying to strengthen)

7. Panarin (only because he's older and making tons of money would I place him here)

Would trade for a bag of pucks to make cap space: Trouba and Kreider

I hear your reasoning Cappy. I agree with your assessment of the Rangers players involved as well. I'm just simply not 100% sold on Eichel yet. Eichel's basically a "PPG (point per game)" player...with Buffalo, so that's a plus. But I think you hit the nail on the head, and made this about Zibby, and that's where the problem resides.

I believe if Zibby was maintaining his usual PPG player pace from the last couple seasons, add in a dose of Chytil on the rise, and I think you have something here that doesn't need to unload the likes of Miller, Fox, or the kids.

Strome has been pretty good this year, even with Zibby basically sleepwalking through this season, and that #2/#3 center problem is not so much an issue as it was coming into this season. I also think Chytil is going to be a stud, but that's me. ;)

It's a good thing we have some time on this Eichel thing, because I don't think he's going to be a good investment. The only way I'd even consider bringing Eichel here is if we move the "bags of pucks" you mentioned...and those NMC's make that a very difficult thing to do. I don't think either of them would approve a trade to Buffalo.

I'm a little greedy though, I kinda enjoy watching these kids grow up right now. I have my sights set on 2 or 3 seasons down the road, when these "kids" have taken their lumps, and now they are men playing games that they can dominate in...kinda like what we saw on Sunday afternoon. I don't really think the Rangers should give away any of these assets just yet. We hardly know who or what they are with these 2 abbreviated seasons.

Either way...welcome to the site, my man!!!

Absolutely awesome crowd in here!!! :thumbs:

I hear your reasoning Cappy. I agree with your assessment of the Rangers players involved as well. I'm just simply not 100% sold on Eichel yet. Eichel's basically a "PPG (point per game)" player...with Buffalo, so that's a plus. But I think you hit the nail on the head, and made this about Zibby, and that's where the problem resides.

I believe if Zibby was maintaining his usual PPG player pace from the last couple seasons, add in a dose of Chytil on the rise, and I think you have something here that doesn't need to unload the likes of Miller, Fox, or the kids.

Strome has been pretty good this year, even with Zibby basically sleepwalking through this season, and that #2/#3 center problem is not so much an issue as it was coming into this season. I also think Chytil is going to be a stud, but that's me. ;)

It's a good thing we have some time on this Eichel thing, because I don't think he's going to be a good investment. The only way I'd even consider bringing Eichel here is if we move the "bags of pucks" you mentioned...and those NMC's make that a very difficult thing to do. I don't think either of them would approve a trade to Buffalo.

I'm a little greedy though, I kinda enjoy watching these kids grow up right now. I have my sights set on 2 or 3 seasons down the road, when these "kids" have taken their lumps, and now they are men playing games that they can dominate in...kinda like what we saw on Sunday afternoon. I don't really think the Rangers should give away any of these assets just yet. We hardly know who or what they are with these 2 abbreviated seasons.

Either way...welcome to the site, my man!!!

Absolutely awesome crowd in here!!! :thumbs:

Thank you Ozzy.

I agree with all you are saying and I too love watching the kids grow. The only thing I see though is that we don't have any centers other than Chytil "growing". Strome has been a nice player for them but he's not the kind of number 2 center you need in my mind. You need a better 200 ft guy in that spot that can put up some points while matching the opponents top center.

Thank you Ozzy.

I agree with all you are saying and I too love watching the kids grow. The only thing I see though is that we don't have any centers other than Chytil "growing". Strome has been a nice player for them but he's not the kind of number 2 center you need in my mind. You need a better 200 ft guy in that spot that can put up some points while matching the opponents top center.

Yeah I agree with you on Strome, Cap.....even though he's done pretty much everything they've asked of him since he's been here. I keep thinking Chytil is going to be "that guy" and Strome would be #3, but it's going to be a little while for him in the "cooker" before he gets there. I'm just not too sure the "win now" attitude is going to allow Chytil time to grow into that spot fast enough for some folks.

I'm curious to see Chytil blend back in over the next 5 games, to see what's cooking with him. I feel like I haven't seen him play in 3 years!! :rofl:

Watch him score one tonight too!! I'll probably laugh myself silly!! LOL

any trade talk has to start with Trouba going the other way. his contract is a hope killer IMO. he's overpaid by about 3-4 million that would go to re-signing our top talent in couple of years. He's the anchor whose contract will weigh this team down and their shot at glory.

Fuck Gorton

any trade talk has to start with Trouba going the other way. his contract is a hope killer IMO. he's overpaid by about 3-4 million that would go to re-signing our top talent in couple of years. He's the anchor whose contract will weigh this team down and their shot at glory.

Fuck Gorton

He's got 3 more seasons after this before the NMC becomes a 15 team NTC. I think we will be okay until then, but I would expect him to block most any trade until then. And who knows, there is still time for him to turn it around.

He's got 3 more seasons after this before the NMC becomes a 15 team NTC. I think we will be okay until then, but I would expect him to block most any trade until then. And who knows, there is still time for him to turn it around.

turn it around---maybe, but he'll never have a $8M turnaround. $8 million per is elite status, he'll never be elite IMO.

But when it gets real, the Rangers will be at the front of the line of suitors whether preceding the April 12 deadline or during the offseason. It is very Ranger-ish to hunt down shiny objects, but there is a difference here. Eichel would not be superfluous. He would not be a luxury item. He is needed. He is also 24 years old. No Marcel Dionne, here.

Mika Zibanejad’s mysterious demise has created urgency for the Blueshirts to address their issues down the middle. It is no longer about the viability of Ryan Strome as the long-term second-line center. It is no longer about tending to depth issues through the organization. Rather, it is about the first-line spot the hierarchy thought settled with Zibanejad’s emergence the last two seasons.

This creates the urgent need for a first-line center. Now, you might note that Eichel is 149th among qualified forwards in five-on-five production with five points (1-4), but that is largely a product of organizational dysfunction as much any deficit in his game. No one questions his status as a stud.

The Rangers would have to pay up for Eichel, who has another five years remaining on a deal that presents a fixed cost of $10 million per, no doubt about that. It is almost impossible to conjure a scenario under which the Blueshirts could fit the B.U. product — who played for David Quinn — under the cap unless Zibanejad (with a no-move clause) is part of the package going the other way. But the summer is coming and the possibilities will be endless, albeit expensive. Nash-like expensive.

https://nypost.com/2021/03/02/rangers-will-be-at-front-of-line-when-sabres-shop-jack-eichel/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons

Eichel doesn't really have many points 5on5 this year, makes me kinda not want to take on that contract.

Granted it's on a bad Sabres team, he probably doesn't want to be on, but still....

Bad is a euphemism here. They're horrific. He has nothing to work with. They're the 29th-best offense by way of GF/GP this season and they've been a bottom-third team in team offense for every year he's been there. He scored 36 goals last season. The Sabres were 25th in GF/GP. He scored 82 points in 2018-2019. The Sabres were 25th in GF/GP.

It's not him. It's them.