• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Interested in Eichel?

Pete

I just don't think he's what we need, G. He's very talented, sure, but we have plenty of talent. We need a "different breed" in my opinion. I still think we're closer to being a force than a lot of people think....

...and it should be a lot easier to buy/trade for 3 bottom 6 players that can play up and down the lineup.

But the book on Eichel for me is closed....I'd rather have Zibby/Strome as #1/#2....but we need to get Zibby locked up...Strome too, eventually!

I'm with you here.

The gamble, so to speak, is that Eichel is suppressed enough by being in Buffalo that giving him better players around him would push his production up toward Panarin-esque levels. That's a big ass gamble. Maybe it pays off - shit, if Ryan Strome can be a point a game guy with Panarin, what's Eichel? Ginger Mario Lemueix? - but the most likely outcome is that Eiclel continues to be a point per game player and has one or two years where he pushes higher. He doesn't solve a problem - he's not a shoot-first guy, he's not a big body, he's not a "been there before team leader" type. Guy doesn't win faceoffs at the clip we'd want either. He solves a problem that doesn't really exist - or at least only exists in the mind of Strome doubters.

I just can't bring myself to make this deal when we've already got a guy doing what we HOPE Eichel does. It seems like absolutely ass-backward management.

Put another way - a much cheaper version of this deal - just the 1st and a prospect - got Winnipeg to deal us a 40 point defender. It's gotten 25 year old high-quality centers shipped to LA and Columbus. We need a mid-six C with size that can win faceoffs, be defensively responsible, and thinks to shoot first - Eichel isn't that. At all. Aim lower, make a different deal for the right player.

Or, do this exact deal for Brayden Point and at least hit on one of the real needs we have.

I'm with you here.

The gamble, so to speak, is that Eichel is suppressed enough by being in Buffalo that giving him better players around him would push his production up toward Panarin-esque levels. That's a big ass gamble. Maybe it pays off - shit, if Ryan Strome can be a point a game guy with Panarin, what's Eichel? Ginger Mario Lemueix? - but the most likely outcome is that Eiclel continues to be a point per game player and has one or two years where he pushes higher. He doesn't solve a problem - he's not a shoot-first guy, he's not a big body, he's not a "been there before team leader" type. Guy doesn't win faceoffs at the clip we'd want either. He solves a problem that doesn't really exist - or at least only exists in the mind of Strome doubters.

I just can't bring myself to make this deal when we've already got a guy doing what we HOPE Eichel does. It seems like absolutely ass-backward management.

Put another way - a much cheaper version of this deal - just the 1st and a prospect - got Winnipeg to deal us a 40 point defender. It's gotten 25 year old high-quality centers shipped to LA and Columbus. We need a mid-six C with size that can win faceoffs, be defensively responsible, and thinks to shoot first - Eichel isn't that. At all. Aim lower, make a different deal for the right player.

Or, do this exact deal for Brayden Point and at least hit on one of the real needs we have.

Yeah G, we're on the same page for sure, man!

I'd love a younger prototype of a Getzlaf....

Point is an arbitration eligible RFA I think, so I'm not sure we can get him so easily, but he helps solve a problem...absolutely!

I still want a Matt Martin/Ryan Reaves type too though....I've seen these kids take too much shit. Gallant won't stand for that either, I'm sure...not the way he used to babysit for Stevie Y. ;)

Yeah G, we're on the same page for sure, man!

I'd love a younger prototype of a Getzlaf....

Point is an arbitration eligible RFA I think, so I'm not sure we can get him so easily, but he helps solve a problem...absolutely!

I still want a Matt Martin/Ryan Reaves type too though....I've seen these kids take too much shit. Gallant won't stand for that either, I'm sure...not the way he used to babysit for Stevie Y. ;)

Honestly, they just don't make centers like Getzlaf anymore. Here and there you'll see one (Byfield comes to mind), but the "modern" center is 2 inches shorter and 20lbs lighter - minimum.

The aforementioned Point is 5'10 180.

Honestly, they just don't make centers like Getzlaf anymore. Here and there you'll see one (Byfield comes to mind), but the "modern" center is 2 inches shorter and 20lbs lighter - minimum.

The aforementioned Point is 5'10 180.

Yeah but his will, and determination is 6' 8" and 245 lbs!!! LOL

If they go Eichel-Danault (

any combo of Eichel, Zibanejad, Strome, Chytil hasn’t addressed the issue.

If you move Zibanejad to wing after dealing a Buch or Kravstov for Eichel, then backfill on the 3rd line center with Danault or someone cheaper, I think it makes sense.

If you move Zibanejad to wing after dealing a Buch or Kravstov for Eichel, then backfill on the 3rd line center with Danault or someone cheaper, I think it makes sense.

I don't understand why you move Zibanejad to wing. Even if he plays wing, you want his shot facing the net and you want him comfortable; he'd play LW. Doesn't make sense.

• Like 1

Mika is a top center in the world, in the prime of his career. They’re not moving him to wing.

• Like 1

I don't understand why you move Zibanejad to wing. Even if he plays wing, you want his shot facing the net and you want him comfortable; he'd play LW. Doesn't make sense.

He played most of his time in Ottawa as a right wing. Started HERE as a wing.. LW, RW, doesn't really matter.

Not sure why everyone thinks every righty shot needs to play the off wing, but every left wing we have is lefty... Some all time great RWs wete righty shots. Selanne, Hull, Gartner, Howe, Bossy Lafleur..... where you line up doesn't always dictate where you wind up on the ice.

You move him to wing, because you don't want to get rid of him and you need to find a spot to utilize his skills on the top lines. If you bring in Eichel Zibanejad as a center is redundant. More of the same.

COVID Mika was awful.. what was more awful is there was no better alternative than COVID Mika. I'm not holding the 1st half against him.

Limiting his ice time would have been a no brained. Removing him from PP 1 was also obvious.

Not about sitting him all the time, but he should have lost PP time, even strength time, and probably should have been sat for a period or 2 on multiple occasions. Those first several weeks were awful.

Strome played great and Chytil got hurt. Not sure what team can fill 2 top 9 center spot for that long from their system.

Just reallocating the time in ice: Strome - Zibanejad - Chytil - Blackwell - Howden - Rooney - Barron

Just reallocating the time in ice: Strome - Zibanejad - Chytil - Blackwell - Howden - Rooney - Barron

First half of the season Zib played 19:47 per game. Strome 18:25. Chytil only played in 11 of those 26 games, 14-15 minutes. In the time Chytil missed, Rooney played ~14 minutes. Howden played 13 minutes.

As bad as Zib was, you're not gaining anything by playing him 6 minutes less and giving Strome +1, Rooney +3, and Howden +2.

Limiting his ice time would have been a no brained. Removing him from PP 1 was also obvious.

Not about sitting him all the time, but he should have lost PP time, even strength time, and probably should have been sat for a period or 2 on multiple occasions. Those first several weeks were awful.

Difference in philosophy. Some would limit the ice time, some would try and play the covid out of Zibby. Quinn tried the latter

First half of the season Zib played 19:47 per game. Strome 18:25. Chytil only played in 11 of those 26 games, 14-15 minutes. In the time Chytil missed, Rooney played ~14 minutes. Howden played 13 minutes.

As bad as Zib was, you're not gaining anything by playing him 6 minutes less and giving Strome +1, Rooney +3, and Howden +2.

they would have gained by not playing him.

No, a team needs their number one center performing in order to be successful.

Zib needed to play his way out of it, sitting him was never the right answer. Especially not on the power play, I would have considered the PK because those are tougher minutes.

Sitting him, taking him off the power play, does nothing to help him get his game back.

I can see how benching and underperforming player would give fans some satisfaction, but it doesn't actually make the team any better. It's not like this is a Kreider situation where you have Lafreniere waiting. There was nobody to step into this role.