• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Interested in Eichel?

Pete

I thought Eichel look like complete shit the other night. Lazy and disinterested. I was on the side of trade if it makes sense for him. After watching his effort I'd be hesitant to bring him in here. Hard to make that judgement after one game but his effort the other night wasn't professional at all. Maybe the culture hasn't changed there because he's a big part of the loser culture. Chicken or the egg but regardless I'm not so sure he isn't damaged goods at this point.

I don't agree. They're not going to have a better option. Kings aren't going to sell the farm for Eichel and no one else can afford to take the cap AND trade 4+ pieces.

Buffalo ownership is to blame. Period.

I'm not so sure there aren't a few teams that couldn't shake and move to get this guy. All they have to do is trade equal value. Maybe a team decides to blow it up and start a rebuild starting with Eichel. What's stopping SJ, Nashville, Arizona, Vancouver, Vegas, Carolina, from throwing NHL ready players at Buffalo for a legit 1st line center?

Plus, you gotta wonder why Eichels teams have all been flat out disasters. No matter what players they brought in, it has been a shit show. Is he part of a problem?

I'm not so sure there aren't a few teams that couldn't shake and move to get this guy. All they have to do is trade equal value. Maybe a team decides to blow it up and start a rebuild starting with Eichel. What's stopping SJ, Nashville, Arizona, Vancouver, Vegas, Carolina, from throwing NHL ready players at Buffalo for a legit 1st line center?

It's a fair question, but across the board with those teams - real dollars, salary cap issues, NMCs, barren prospect pools, wrong phases of contention. None of those teams will be in the running for Eichel short of something obscene like Elias Pettersson forcing a trade to Buffalo.

It's really Rangers, Kings, maybe Red Wings.

Plus, you gotta wonder why Eichels teams have all been flat out disasters. No matter what players they brought in, it has been a shit show. Is he part of a problem?

Oh, it's not a mystery. Buffalo has always been a team that misses the forest for the trees. Strong top 6? AHL 4th lines in the bottom 6. Top pair D? SEL rejects on the bottom pair. Managed your depth? Haha, here comes the goalie to fuck it all up. They're always a can short of a six pack.

I dunno, call me old school, or call me short sighted or whatever, but this kid's too talented to put up the numbers he has this year. Sensational talents score even on shit teams. Which tells me it's a lack of effort. And I just don't accept the whole "losing culture has got him down" thing. You're getting paid millions to be an NHL player. Show up every shift or retire.

I dunno, call me old school, or call me short sighted or whatever, but this kid's too talented to put up the numbers he has this year. Sensational talents score even on shit teams. Which tells me it's a lack of effort. And I just don't accept the whole "losing culture has got him down" thing. You're getting paid millions to be an NHL player. Show up every shift or retire.

I don't know man. I get why people think this, but if I put myself in his shoes, I'd have trouble burning out my tank every game let alone every shift. The Sabres have been a dumpster fire - like not even close to a playoff team every single year since they've drafted him in 2015. We are going on his 6th year of basically wasting his career on continual losing. It's human nature to take it easy under the circumstances, when he probably feels like it doesn't matter how well he plays, the team is terrible.

I think if you put him on an exciting, contending team, you would see a beast awaken that hasn't awaken yet, which is scary since he's already a PPG player. 35+ goals, 100+ points kind of beast, me thinks.

I applaude him for wanting to win. Could be just happy collecting 10M a year

I feel like that's what he's doing. He acts pissed that the team is losing, reportedly hasn't asked to be traded, but also is playing shit hockey.

i'd part with Chytil for Eichel but not with Buch. Buch is a work horse that does everything out there and is putting up PPG. Dude even fights when you piss him off enough.

But the numbers dont work, someone with a sizeable contract has to go back.

Love Chytil, but... he's not even close to a sticking point for me.

Right. We can dream of Chytil being a 60-70 point player, and it's still not Eichel. He's a valuable piece, same with Buchnevich, but neither player would prevent me from pulling the trigger on this one.

i'd part with Chytil for Eichel but not with Buch. Buch is a work horse that does everything out there and is putting up PPG. Dude even fights when you piss him off enough.

But the numbers dont work, someone with a sizeable contract has to go back.

Buchnevich is basically a lock to be in the deal. The Rangers have to shed cap somehow and it won't be any NMC players waiving to go to Buffalo. That means no Kreider, Zibanejad, or Trouba.

I also doubt the Sabres trade Eichel without getting a good young center back, or a top C prospect at the least. We don't have a top C prospect, so Chytil is it. I have no problems packaging Buchnevich and Chytil in a deal for Eichel. Like I said, I love both those players but it's just not a question. Getting Eichel is like getting another Panarin except at C.

Buchnevich is basically a lock to be in the deal. The Rangers have to shed cap somehow and it won't be any NMC players waiving to go to Buffalo. That means no Kreider, Zibanejad, or Trouba.

I also doubt the Sabres trade Eichel without getting a good young center back, or a top C prospect at the least. We don't have a top C prospect, so Chytil is it. I have no problems packaging Buchnevich and Chytil in a deal for Eichel. Like I said, I love both those players but it's just not a question. Getting Eichel is like getting another Panarin except at C.

the may want strome. he's been pretty good and putting up good numbers not playing with panarin.

Throwing a wrench here for funsies - I wonder if that C prospect isn't yet in our system.

Not sure I understand how bringing him here @ 10M doesn't cost you guys you would want to keep down the line in addition to some that are going to sting to give up now. I'm assuming you're not unloading a big salary number going back in this deal. I certainly get the part of having to give up good players to bring him here. I'm more concerned that with a flat cap projected for the foreseeable future aren't you asking to be handcuffed and in a big way going forward? Admittedly I haven't watched a minute of Sabres hockey outside of Rangers games so maybe the guy walks on water and it's worth the risk or I'm just missing something?

They dont need a potential #1C, they have Cozens. You can expect them to want Chytil (C Prospect that can play now) and/or Strome (temporary stop gap)