• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Interested in Eichel?

Pete

He's in impeccable value where he's at, he doesn't need the next step to make him valuable...

He absolutely is. But I think he's a trade piece because of circumstance, not because of what he is/will become as a player. All things being equal I'd sign Buchnevich to a 4 year deal and be real happy about it. But with the Panarin/Trouba/Kreider deals already done + all the re-ups the Rangers will have to do I just don't see how you can keep him. Looks like he's playing his way to becoming a real good asset too.

The numbers don’t work otherwise. How else are you going to have room for $10M salary unless a sizable contract goes back?
Right. This is where all the buyouts come back to bite you. No buyout cash + removing ADA cash (even with small buyout) gets you Eichel.

He absolutely is. But I think he's a trade piece because of circumstance, not because of what he is/will become as a player. All things being equal I'd sign Buchnevich to a 4 year deal and be real happy about it. But with the Panarin/Trouba/Kreider deals already done + all the re-ups the Rangers will have to do I just don't see how you can keep him. Looks like he's playing his way to becoming a real good asset too.
I hear you. I originally just commented on Keirik post which was basically "he is what he is"... Which is pretty good, even of he never gets better. He puts up as many points as Krieder who what picked where, #11oa?

I hear you. I originally just commented on Keirik post which was basically "he is what he is"... Which is pretty good, even of he never gets better. He puts up as many points as Krieder who what picked where, #11oa?

Plus he’s a much better overall player than Kreider

He's in impeccable value where he's at, he doesn't need the next step to make him valuable...

I think you know what I mean though. Teams are always looking for tjhe best bang for your buck and especially bargains in that if they think Buch can be obtained and retained at a lower price point. Then try to unlock the magical "next level" he flirts with but clearly doesn't have on a regular basis to make it the norm of his production.

The 24-year-old Eichel, whose season has hardly been a smashing success while surrounded by dysfunction that has been a permanent companion since the Sabres last qualified for the postseason in 2011, has five years left on a contract with a fixed cost of $10 million per. It’s a pricey one, all right, but at least the Rangers — or any acquiring team — won’t have to deal with arbitration or potential free agency for the next half-decade.

Cost will be determinative as the Blueshirts ponder just how much they are willing to send Buffalo’s way in exchange for a no-doubt stud in the middle. The Rangers thought they had their stud in Zibanejad, but this season’s demise has made it essentially impossible for the club to extend his contract this summer a year ahead of free agency. In other words, there is a need for a long-term, first-line center.

There aren’t many franchise-type players traded at such a young age. Tyler Seguin was just 21 when he (and Rich Peverley) went from the Bruins to the Stars after his third year in return for veteran Louie Eriksson and a handful of pieces, but he had not established himself at that point. Nash was 28 when he came to the Rangers (with a third-rounder who became Buchnevich) in exchange for Brandon Dubinsky, Artem Anisimov, Tim Erixon and a first-rounder.

Indeed, the last franchise-type player traded away at such a young age was Joe Thornton, who went from the Bruins to the Sharks at age 26 in exchange for one of the most meh packages of all time, with Boston getting Brad Stuart, Marco Sturm and Wayne Primeau.

The Blueshirts, so thin organizationally down the middle, are in desperate need of a first-unit headliner. Eichel, who played his one season at Boston University with Quinn as his coach, checks all the boxes. The Sabres recognize how badly the Rangers want him.

But Rangers GM Jeff Gorton won’t be extorted. The fans once didn’t want Nash and got him. Nine years later, the fans want Eichel. We’ll see.

https://nypost.com/2021/03/03/rangers-wont-be-extorted-in-potential-jack-eichel-trade/

--

Brooks also did his consistent podcast hit on the Up in the Blue Seats podcast in which he said:

"I think they're going to look hard at Eichel. What I don't think they're going to do is make the five or six asset exchange that some people are forecasting. I think that the projection that Buffalo is going to be able to get the top two or three prospects, plus a young player, plus a couple of draft choices in exchange for Eichel is misguided. He has a $10 million hit. There are very few teams that can accommodate that kind of a hit without doing a lot of gardening on their own. So, I think it'll come down to a couple of teams that are interested in Eichel and I don't envision the Rangers giving up five assets to get him. I don't envision, say the Kings, who are projected as a bidder on Eichel, to give up five assets either."

Link:

I had a chance to weigh this all the last couple of days, and I know you've been carrying this flag pretty high, Phil....Now I know why:

We're going to have quite an excess of talent over the next few seasons; Kravtsov, Buch's RFA, all those defenseman, and some high #1 and #2 picks for 2021.

The real missing link to where we wanna go is at Center....Ok, I gotcha! :thumbs:

Eichel, after watching some of his past games, and his habits on the ice, may very well be "the guy". He has talent beyond belief, and the fact that he alone is making Buffalo even somewhat relevant, is a feather in his cap. He's 24 and has the size, speed and intelligence to be a hell of a #1 Center here.

Mika at #2, and Chytil/Strome #3 would be quite the formidable attack....and I could just imagine the offensive punch we could have in a short while.

The one thing I was fearing is that we'd give away too many pieces that would weaken us in other areas. (Kakko, Laf, Fox, etc.)

Now reading how Buffalo isn't holding all the cards on this one, and that we may not have to give up the farm, leads me more into wanting this guy here. With Kravtsov coming over, and Braden Schneider signing, I realize we are overloaded with players...some very valuable too!

Buch is reaching RFA status as well, and he may have played his way into the hearts of Buffalo last game a bit more.

I'm looking at it from your stand point now though, and I see what you're seeing.

If there was only some way to "sweeten the deal" by unloading Kreider or Trouba's contracts, that would be perfect!!! Those NMC's are going to be a gigantic pain is the fucking balls to get around though!!

NYR need a center, but Eichel is barely a point a game production. He's a very good player, but worth all this? Think we kind of went through the same magical thinking that Trouba on Broadway would become a perennial Norris candidate, even if you figure putting him with Panarin makes him a 100 pojnt guy. Sabres are going to want a kings ransom. Grant the Rangers figure to have a logjam of forwards for the top 6 or 7 forward slots. Between salary and cost in terms on players, seems nuts. There have to be better more reasonable options?

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/e/eicheja01.html

https://nypost.com/2021/03/03/rangers-wont-be-extorted-in-potential-jack-eichel-trade/

--

Brooks also did his consistent podcast hit on the Up in the Blue Seats podcast in which he said:

"I think they're going to look hard at Eichel. What I don't think they're going to do is make the five or six asset exchange that some people are forecasting. I think that the projection that Buffalo is going to be able to get the top two or three prospects, plus a young player, plus a couple of draft choices in exchange for Eichel is misguided. He has a $10 million hit. There are very few teams that can accommodate that kind of a hit without doing a lot of gardening on their own. So, I think it'll come down to a couple of teams that are interested in Eichel and I don't envision the Rangers giving up five assets to get him. I don't envision, say the Kings, who are projected as a bidder on Eichel, to give up five assets either."

if it comes down to two teams like the rangers and the kings, the rangers will have to sweeten the deal for buffalo just because buffalo would rather see Eichel go out west. Probably an additional pick or prospect

NYR need a center, but Eichel is barely a point a game production. He's a very good player, but worth all this? Think we kind of went through the same magical thinking that Trouba on Broadway would become a perennial Norris candidate, even if you figure putting him with Panarin makes him a 100 pojnt guy. Sabres are going to want a kings ransom. Grant the Rangers figure to have a logjam of forwards for the top 6 or 7 forward slots. Between salary and cost in terms on players, seems nuts. There have to be better more reasonable options?

Better than Eichel? No. He's just entering the prime of his career. This is the Joe Thornton deal all over again. Only younger.

but damn, Eichel's numbers are sexy

Good for the Rangers. The thing is, I don’t see the Sabres dealing him to the Rangers if they don’t overpay. Will be much easier for the fan base to see him traded to the west coast as opposed to another team in the same state unless we overpaid for the Sabres management to say “look what we got. We had to make this deal.”

I looked at that as well, CC...

..and that's with very, very little to work with up there.

Imagine him with Laffy and/or Kakko....WOW!

Sabres will want LAF or Kakko or both. He's an asset to them, and they'll need something to show for it. if you get him, it's gonna have to hurt.

I had a chance to weigh this all the last couple of days, and I know you've been carrying this flag pretty high, Phil....Now I know why:

We're going to have quite an excess of talent over the next few seasons; Kravtsov, Buch's RFA, all those defenseman, and some high #1 and #2 picks for 2021.

The real missing link to where we wanna go is at Center....Ok, I gotcha! :thumbs:

Eichel, after watching some of his past games, and his habits on the ice, may very well be "the guy". He has talent beyond belief, and the fact that he alone is making Buffalo even somewhat relevant, is a feather in his cap. He's 24 and has the size, speed and intelligence to be a hell of a #1 Center here.

Mika at #2, and Chytil/Strome #3 would be quite the formidable attack....and I could just imagine the offensive punch we could have in a short while.

The one thing I was fearing is that we'd give away too many pieces that would weaken us in other areas. (Kakko, Laf, Fox, etc.)

Now reading how Buffalo isn't holding all the cards on this one, and that we may not have to give up the farm, leads me more into wanting this guy here. With Kravtsov coming over, and Braden Schneider signing, I realize we are overloaded with players...some very valuable too!

Buch is reaching RFA status as well, and he may have played his way into the hearts of Buffalo last game a bit more.

I'm looking at it from your stand point now though, and I see what you're seeing.

If there was only some way to "sweeten the deal" by unloading Kreider or Trouba's contracts, that would be perfect!!! Those NMC's are going to be a gigantic pain is the fucking balls to get around though!!

I think using the Karlsson or Nash deals as something of a template is a good decision here.

So you're looking at a pair of mid-20s NHL caliber players, a higher end prospect, a mid-range prospect, and a few picks.

The equivalence here is something like Buchnevich, Lindgren, Jones, Altonen and a pair of picks - something like that. The Rangers will not include Lindgren, imo, but I'd be willing to bet that DeAngelo could go here.

Something like Buch, DeAngelo, Jones, Altonen, 1st, protected 2022 1st for Eichel and like a third is probably where this eventually lands. And yes, everyone in the Buffalo front office should be fired for that.

Better than Eichel? No. He's just entering the prime of his career. This is the Joe Thornton deal all over again. Only younger.

Perhaps not better centers, but ones who can play reasonably well on the top 2 lines and not cost so damn much? Again, Trouba is in the prime of his career; how has that worked out?

I think using the Karlsson or Nash deals as something of a template is a good decision here.

So you're looking at a pair of mid-20s NHL caliber players, a higher end prospect, a mid-range prospect, and a few picks.

The equivalence here is something like Buchnevich, Lindgren, Jones, Altonen and a pair of picks - something like that. The Rangers will not include Lindgren, imo, but I'd be willing to bet that DeAngelo could go here.

Something like Buch, DeAngelo, Jones, Altonen, 1st, protected 2022 1st for Eichel and like a third is probably where this eventually lands. And yes, everyone in the Buffalo front office should be fired for that.

I don't agree. They're not going to have a better option. Kings aren't going to sell the farm for Eichel and no one else can afford to take the cap AND trade 4+ pieces.

Buffalo ownership is to blame. Period.

I would love to see something like: Buch, Chytil, Trouba, and a pick...(I think we dealt our 2nd rounder for 2021 to Detroit with Staal though)

Kakko and Laf can't go...I wouldn't dig that at all.

Look at who he plays with. Even when he was a literal point-per-game player, the Sabres were like the 25th best offense in the league. They've been in the bottom third of the league every single year he's been there no matter how many points or goals he scores. He's phenomenal. They're not.

I don't agree. They're not going to have a better option. Kings aren't going to sell the farm for Eichel and no one else can afford to take the cap AND trade 4+ pieces.

That might be fair seeing as the entire Buffalo front office was in fact recently fired en masse anyway.

Other side of this - the Kings SHOULDN'T sell the farm for Eichel - they're insanely deep at center in the prospect pool. To think they get to move forward with Kopitar, Byfield, Turcotte, Vilardi, and Kupari - let alone Madden and Thomas. They're fine.

Idk, Buffalo has put together some decent teams. Everyone ends up sucking there.

Idk, Buffalo has put together some decent teams. Everyone ends up sucking there.

It's because their culture is shit. They've hired 3 consecutive rookie GMs. They've had 3 head coaches in 6 years including two with no prior NHL experience. They're horrendous at evaluating talent and even worse at keeping talented players happy. That's on ownership.

It's because their culture is shit. They've hired 3 consecutive rookie GMs. They've had 3 head coaches in 6 years including two with no prior NHL experience. They're horrendous at evaluating talent and even worse at keeping talented players happy. That's on ownership.

the should bring back Teddy Nolan.