• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Interested in Eichel?

Pete

I just think the whole process to get Eichel is going to be slow moving and will take time. Buffalo is going to ask for the moon and the stars initially and will have to be talked down from there. We are one of the last places on Earth that that franchise would want to send a 24 year old superstar, so they will ask a lot and it will take slick negotiating on Drury and the Rangers behalf.

I’d rather him be snooping around for ways you can secure someone like say, Matthew Tkachuk, who fits and fills a need.

Again, I’m not 100% opposed to Eichel. But we already have a first line center who, when fully healthy and with 82 games, is likely a 45-50 goal scorer. So what does he bring that we don’t already have? I understand that inserting his talent into any lineup makes a team much more dangerous. But again, I’d rather this organization recognize and pursue our needs instead of a shiny new toy.

Though it seems to be a minor injury:

Sabres center Jack Eichel continues to rehab his neck injury and wait for a decision on whether or not to have surgery. TSN’s Darren Dreger reported in a recent appearance on WGR 550 that Eichel’s preference is to simply have the procedure, one that carries a six-week recovery time. That would give him plenty of time to rehab and be ready for training camp in the fall.

We have to really do our homework with Eichel and neck injury. If he’s saying he wanted to have surgery then it must be serious enough that surgery was an option his doctors were entertaining.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Elliotte Friedman

@FriedgeHNIC

·

4h

Adams backs their expertise, feeling Eichel could avoid surgery. Confirms that Eichel and his reps have considered a different option (cervical disk replacement), but team is not comfortable with it because there is not a history of NHL players coming back from it.

How bad is a cervical disk replacement ?

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Who's going to trade for Eichel at this point unless they can get him for pennies on the dollar? Whoever gets him already has to cross their fingers on his health, and risk 10M a year to do so. Can you see a team paying a king's ransom on top of that?

From a Rangers standpoint, if they are really still interested, I wouldn't want to see anymore than a roster player (Strome or Buch), a prospect (wouldn't even want this to be Lundkvist or Jones anymore), and a 1st round pick. That's it.

A 10M cap hit could ruin the team's future if he's damaged goods or not healthy.

Link:

That's an alarming statement.

Buffalo's in just overwhelming pain. Nobody wants to be there. They're rebuilding - again. They're stuck with the worst contract in the NHL for 6 more years. They've now had three superstar caliber players (and a tier-below guy in Reinhart) basically sulk out and bail in the last three years. They're going to lose Dahlin and Ristolainen in short order if nothing changes. Now, no trust between Eichel and management?

I don't even know how to make heads or tails of this. They're just fucked.

Scorched earth is probably what they have to do. Sell literally everyone that doesn't expressly want to be part of the future there.

Gonna be really hard to ice a team that's literally Jeff Skinner, Dylan Cozens, and Sal from maintenance.

You think Buffalo looks bad now, wait until they have to find 200 workers for home games.

In all seriousness, they need to bring in blue collar guys. build around Cozens. I like that kid. He said some good things at the end of the season, too. He's the first draft pick in Buffalo that looks like he cares when he's playing.

(I had to look out of curiosity - Stafford drafted in 2004)

A bunch of highly touted flops due to lack of... oh, shit...

What a disaster.

Their situation with Eichel is a nightmare. Here you have a superstar center who doesn’t want to be there. And as bad as that is, if he wants out, he wants out. But atleast on the bright side, you can sit back and expect a haul to start over with by flipping him.

But in this case, with the uncertainty with his injury and with his cap hit, Buffalo isn’t going to get what I think their fans are expecting in return for this guy. Let’s be real: every time a team is trading a player like Eichel, the initial return prices are absurd (I want Gretzky, Mario, Orr, Messier and four 1sts!). Eventually reality sets in and you wind up with a very solid package of parts to help you rebuild.

I’m sure Eichel will still cost a team, whether it be us or whoever, some form of a valuable asset (assets). But not the way it was expected months back.

You think Buffalo looks bad now, wait until they have to find 200 workers for home games.

In all seriousness, they need to bring in blue collar guys. build around Cozens. I like that kid. He said some good things at the end of the season, too. He's the first draft pick in Buffalo that looks like he cares when he's playing.

(I had to look out of curiosity - Stafford drafted in 2004)

A bunch of highly touted flops due to lack of... oh, shit...

This. Be American Ottawa, minus the owner who won't spend a dime more than he has to. Buffalo's goal should be the team who will probably lose more than they win the next few years, but who every single team will dread having to go through on any given night.

Eichel seems like another Jagr or Lindros.. At some points is going to happen.. COme hell or high water, Eichel is going to end up in a Rangers uniform.

Now what would be terrific is only trading Anson Carter or the pupu platter that went for Lindros.

What a disaster.

Their situation with Eichel is a nightmare. Here you have a superstar center who doesn’t want to be there. And as bad as that is, if he wants out, he wants out. But atleast on the bright side, you can sit back and expect a haul to start over with by flipping him.

But in this case, with the uncertainty with his injury and with his cap hit, Buffalo isn’t going to get what I think their fans are expecting in return for this guy. Let’s be real: every time a team is trading a player like Eichel, the initial return prices are absurd (I want Gretzky, Mario, Orr, Messier and four 1sts!). Eventually reality sets in and you wind up with a very solid package of parts to help you rebuild.

I’m sure Eichel will still cost a team, whether it be us or whoever, some form of a valuable asset (assets). But not the way it was expected months back.

Yup. It's like I always say, there's fan expectations, and then there's reality, which is often one part expected, two parts "seriously, that's it?"

Look at nearly every major trade that's happened in the last decade. Look at what the fans of the teams involved were certain had to be included. Then look what was actually dealt. Fan expectations are almost always off the mark (sometimes by miles).

Eichel seems like another Jagr or Lindros.. At some points is going to happen.. COme hell or high water, Eichel is going to end up in a Rangers uniform.

Now what would be terrific is only trading Anson Carter or the pupu platter that went for Lindros.

I've been thinking the same thing pretty much. It's basically destined to happened at this point IMO.

Also, didn't they trade Igor Ulanov for Pavel Bure? That was another gem.

Given that few if any teams are going to part with a major package for a guy with a serious health issue who is locked in long term at over $10m per, and given that Buffalo will be resistant to parting with their franchise player for something less, I wonder if these two are not going to be stuck in an unhappy marriage for a while by default.

This. Be American Ottawa, minus the owner who won't spend a dime more than he has to. Buffalo's goal should be the team who will probably lose more than they win the next few years, but who every single team will dread having to go through on any given night.

between him, Mittelstadt, Reinhart, Olofsson, Jokiharju, they've got some decent pieces to work with. Ullmark looks like a decently legit goalie too.

Keep Dahlin but get rid of Eichel, Ristolainen and anyone else whose been there through the last few years.

between him, Mittelstadt, Reinhart, Olofsson, Jokiharju, they've got some decent pieces to work with. Ullmark looks like a decently legit goalie too.

Keep Dahlin but get rid of Eichel, Ristolainen and anyone else whose been there through the last few years.

Basically, yeah.

Just run everyone through the "jade" test. Fail, and get traded.

My interest in Eichel has cooled, but if you can get a player of his talent level on the team for relatively cheap, you go for it. LLtK mentioned acquiring him with retention a while back and I think that's the only way this trade makes any sense for the Rangers. Eichel at $10M doesn't work for the team in the long term. Eichel at $7.5-8M can.

If I had to guess what a reasonable offer would be I'd say: Strome, Gauthier, Robertson, 1st, Conditional 2023 2nd (Turns into 2023 1st Rd. Pick if the Rangers make the Stanley Cup finals in 2022 or 2023.)

I think at most you're adding another B prospect there or Colin Blackwell if he's not in Seattle. Strome gives Buffalo a first-line center that's below Eichel but still more than capable of working with Olofsson and Cozens. Also, a hard worker and leader to help establish a team identity in Buffalo. Gauthier hasn't accomplished much but he still has some boom to him and won't face the same struggles breaking into a lineup that he would here. Robertson makes sense as a D prospect because Buffalo already has a glut of top defenders in Dahlin, Risto, and likely Owen Power soon to join them. Robertson gives them a steady defensive-minded type to work with their more dynamic options.

It's basically the Ryan O'Reilly trade with some slightly better pieces.