• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Sens Place Bobby Ryan on Waivers with Intent to Buy Out Contract

Phil

This is definitely strange given Ottawa's current salary cap situation. As stands they're already $18.295M below the salary cap floor. Ryan's buyout has a cap hit of $3.583M and a savings of $3.666M. Those savings bring them even further away from the salary floor at $21.961M. That's absolutely absurd. The Senators are going to absolutely extreme lengths to reduce the amount of actual salary paid. Even with a significant portion of the roster in need of re-signing, they're going to be aggressively in the hunt to acquire players with high cap hits but low salaries remaining.

This is definitely strange given Ottawa's current salary cap situation. As stands they're already $18.295M below the salary cap floor. Ryan's buyout has a cap hit of $3.583M and a savings of $3.666M. Those savings bring them even further away from the salary floor at $21.961M. That's absolutely absurd. The Senators are going to absolutely extreme lengths to reduce the amount of actual salary paid. Even with a significant portion of the roster in need of re-signing, they're going to be aggressively in the hunt to acquire players with high cap hits but low salaries remaining.

I’d probably say this is a covid cut. Some teams are hemmoraging momey from all this lost revenue. You hit the nail on the head. They want a high salary they don’t pay long term.

I’d probably say this is a covid cut. Some teams are hemmoraging momey from all this lost revenue. You hit the nail on the head. They want a high salary they don’t pay long term.

Definitely a COVID cut for sure, but Ottawa has been exploiting this method for some years now. It just seems like they're taking it to another level now. At some point, you have to do something about having an owner as incompetent as Melnyk in the league. You can't have a team exploiting the salary cap floor. Are we at the point where we need a floor for actual salary?

It's not strange at all. The Senators are one of the most cash-poor teams in the league. The NHL predicted a 50% decrease in HRR for the coming 2020-21 season and operated at a loss for this entire return to play due to the inability to sell sponsorships or produce gate revenue of any kind. That 50% figure for this coming season might not even be close to accurate if fans can only return in small numbers.

Team's like Ottawa, who already operate on shoestring budgets, are going to get killed by this.

It's not strange at all. The Senators are one of the most cash-poor teams in the league. The NHL predicted a 50% decrease in HRR for the coming 2020-21 season and operated at a loss for this entire return to play due to the inability to sell sponsorships or produce gate revenue of any kind. That 50% figure for this coming season might not even be close to accurate if fans can only return in small numbers.

Team's like Ottawa, who already operate on shoestring budgets, are going to get killed by this.

It's strange because it's $3.66M in cap hit that they're going to have to magically make appear. They already had it covered. Now they're nearly $22M short of the cap floor. I'm sure that $3.66M saved in salary could help the team, but there's no guarantee they don't end up having to pay an equivalent salary just to get back up the cap floor. How many bad contracts with low salaries can they realistically acquire? Given COVID wouldn't those contracts be desirable to a number teams that are strapped for cash?

Teams really should try to find a way to get creative with generating revenue if possible. Maybe some paid subscription all access content. Probably extremely difficult because of whoever owns the rights specifically for the league, not just the team, but there has to be a way through the local broadcast, like an msg go app but with a monthly subscription.

The league just needs to find a way to make itself more accessible and just be more pervasive. I don't for the life of me understand blackouts from an NHL perspective. They should be trying to promote their content and make it easy for current and new fans to access that content. Then there's just the way league advertises itself. Hopefully a new television deal helps resolve some issues.

It's strange because it's $3.66M in cap hit that they're going to have to magically make appear. They already had it covered. Now they're nearly $22M short of the cap floor. I'm sure that $3.66M saved in salary could help the team, but there's no guarantee they don't end up having to pay an equivalent salary just to get back up the cap floor. How many bad contracts with low salaries can they realistically acquire? Given COVID wouldn't those contracts be desirable to a number teams that are strapped for cash?

I don't mean to change the nature of the thread this early, but they can accomplish this by making deals for players with sizable cap hits who's actual salary is well short of their AAV, just as they've done in the past.

Brendan Smith. Frederik Andersen. These types. There's a laundry list of them I don't have handy at the moment.

I don't mean to change the nature of the thread this early, but they can accomplish this by making deals for players with sizable cap hits who's actual salary is well short of their AAV, just as they've done in the past.

Brendan Smith. Frederik Andersen. These types. There's a laundry list of them I don't have handy at the moment.

That's what I've been saying dude.

That's what I've been saying dude.

Sorry, missed that line. I was spead-reading your post and blew right past it.

But to answer: I actually think there are plenty, because a bunch of the teams who will be dealing those types of players are themselves cap-crunched or feeling internal pressure to reduce payroll.