• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Blue Jackets Considering Buyout of Alexander Wennberg

Phil

COLUMBUS, Ohio ? Alexander Wennberg doesn?t fit the mold of the typical NHL buyout candidate. He?s 26 years old and in the prime of his career, not a grizzled veteran with achy knees and hips trying to fight off the ravages of time.

But the Blue Jackets, according to league sources, appear to be considering a contract buyout of their former first-round draft pick, a player who appeared to be on the cusp of becoming a No. 1 center just three seasons ago.

It?s a decision that could save the Blue Jackets $10.7 million over the next three seasons ? but only if they act now.

Because Wennberg was 25 years old as of this June ? he turned 26 on Tuesday ? the buyout, per the NHL?s collective bargaining agreement, would require Columbus to pay only one-third of the money owed him over the remaining three years of his contract.

After this summer, a buyout of Wennberg?s contract would cost the team two-thirds of his remaining deal.

Both Wennberg and his agent, Pat Brisson, said they have not had any indication from the Blue Jackets that a buyout is being considered. Columbus general manager Jarmo Kek?l?inen declined to comment.

https://theathletic.com/2092472/2020/09/25/blue-jackets-considering-contract-buyout-of-struggling-center-alexander-wennberg/?source=emp_shared_article

• 2 weeks later...
He is going to get snatched up. Hope its the Rangers. Really really hope. What happens if multiple teams try to.claim a player?

I mean if you mean claimed on waivers then it won’t be the rangers anyway. If he clears, then he’s a free agent and can negotiate with whoever he wants.

Issues with Wennberg:

- inconsistent

- not great defensively (bigger issue when your 2C and 4C and not great defensively, either)

- not physical

- Not in top 4 PKers in Columbus, and only received 5th most avg PK minutes due to injuries.

Issues with Wennberg:

- inconsistent

- not great defensively (bigger issue when your 2C and 4C and not great defensively, either)

- not physical

- Not in top 4 PKers in Columbus, and only received 5th most avg PK minutes due to injuries.

That's my issue, as well. The guy has no identity.

Is he bad defensively and not a Pk'er? Not according to the Jackets beat writer.

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/1314229176531066883?s=20

Aaron Portzline

@Aportzline

There will be no shortage of suitors for Alexander Wennberg when he hits free agency on Friday.

He’s an exceptional defensive player, positionally sound and really smart/strong on the penalty kill.

But his offensive impact has withered since a 2016-17 (13-46-59).

He's been a 50 point player once in his a career, so he looks like more of a #3 at best.. If Strome stays he's the #2, I don't see any upgrade over Chytil, its not like the guy is a face off wiz or anything.

That's if you view Chytil as a Center. I think he's already shown that he belongs on the wing.

Well I want him. They're talking about him signing for less than $2 mil per and we really need a good defensive center. If the offense comes back then awesome we have a really good complete center and can move on from Strome with no regrets. If the offense doesn't come back then we still have a good bottom 6 center at a good price. I would bet on his offense returning if he played with Panarin though since that's what so many credit Strome's resurgence with.