Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rangers Should Pursue Islanders’ Matt Martin Under One Condition

Senior Member Mite Division Lord Al's Avatar

Rangers Should Pursue Islanders’ Matt Martin Under One Condition

Rangers should pursue Islanders’ Matt Martin under one condition. https://nypost.com/2020/09/19/ranger...one-condition/

Maybe it is simply recency bias. Maybe I should put more stock in the hockey that was played during the winter, when the Rangers looked for all the world to be a better team than the Islanders and went 2-for-2 against them at the Coliseum in a pair of thrilling games.

And maybe I am putting too much emphasis on the way the Blueshirts were taken to the woodshed without resistance by a Carolina team that seemed an imposing contender but was outed as an imposter the very next round by the Bruins. Maybe that, coupled with the dogged and inspirational show put on by the Islanders essentially every other night for six weeks in making it to Game 6 overtime of the conference finals, has unduly influenced my perception of the Ballad of New York.

Because though the Islanders probably need a little more Rangers in them in order to make it to the top, and that means a little more high-end offensive skill at the top of the depth chart, the Rangers definitely need a lot more Islanders in them in order to become a viable Stanley Cup contender, and that means a lot more grit and heaps more dedication to playing structured, unyielding hockey.
    Last edited by Morphinity; 09-19-2020 at 11:26 PM.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BSBH Prospect
    Is the one condition that he never wears the jersey?

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division Mr.wiskers's Avatar

Rangers Should Pursue Islanders’ Matt Martin Under One Condition

Is Brooks doing Boomer a favor writing this article

I wouldn’t say no to it but I wouldn’t give him more the $1.5 mil. per——that’s my max not a penny more

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mr.wiskers; 09-20-2020 at 11:08 AM.

The prince that was promised BSBH Legend
    I'd be fine with it. Break the homogeneity. Just don't break the bank.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BSBH Prospect
    He’s the least important person of their bottom six and or grit line. Pass unless the other two of our hopefully newly formed grit line are already in place and superior.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
    He’s the least important person of their bottom six and or grit line. Pass unless the other two of our hopefully newly formed grit line are already in place and superior.
    Apt point. What would Martin have done with us if he were playing with McKegg and whoever was in the dog house at the moment on a fourth line for us last year? Trying to fill this role by over paying for UFAs smacks of Skrudland-Keane syndrome. That said, we just don't have anyone internally to groom for this role.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    It would be smart to actually build a 4th line instead of hoping the scrap heap players assembled, and eventually shuttled between Hartford, out kick their coverage.

I never want to see Greg McKegg or Vinny Lettieri again.
    GORTON 2020

Matt Martin on one wing, Brenden Lemieux on the other wing, find a center to plug in there that can be comparable to Czazikas

The Rangers signed 23 year old 6’7 240 RW Austin Rueschhoff this summer and have 19 year old 6’6 220. LW Adam Edström playing in the Swedish ice hockey. He just got a five game suspension or intent to injure on a check to the head of an opposing player

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Beer Leaguer Midget Division
    Come on man!! How do you quote a section of the article and not even include the condition?

Senior Member Junior Division
    Is the condition that he takes out the garbage after he cleans the bathrooms?

That sounds like Mr. met

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    It would be smart to actually build a 4th line instead of hoping the scrap heap players assembled, and eventually shuttled between Hartford, out kick their coverage.

I never want to see Greg McKegg or Vinny Lettieri again.
    I’m not sure McKegg is the solution, but I’m pretty sure he isn’t the problem. At least not the main problem.
    He played every game on Carolina’s 4th line when they went to the ECF a year ago. So played on a line with actual, functional bottom 6 NHL players he was certainly functional.
    I don’t think this is fixed until Quinn and mgmt start building an actual bottom 6, and stop treating as a vehicle for punishing poor performance or just a place to play the worst guys on the roster. Being a good bottom 6 player in the NHL is a skill.

No, McKegg is definitely a problem. He's not good at anything. To have a successful identity/fourth-line, you need players with discernible upside. No one the Rangers have been skating in that role the last few years fits the bill. It's why there's so much merit/smoke behind the idea of buying them on the open market.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Like I said, he probably isn’t the solution.
    But he was able to adequately fill a 4th line role for a team that went to the ECF.
    The point being, the “system” is at least as big, and quite likely bigger, a problem as the player.

Great coaching can mask bad players (see Isles). Anything less exposes them (see McKegg, Haley, etc. etc. etc.)
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    No, McKegg is definitely a problem. He's not good at anything. To have a successful identity/fourth-line, you need players with discernible upside. No one the Rangers have been skating in that role the last few years fits the bill. It's why there's so much merit/smoke behind the idea of buying them on the open market.
    This. I love Jeff Gorton, but one thing he hasn't done well is ice a 4th line. It seems like every summer we bring in other team's garbage to fill that 4th line hole and it never works.

Carolina let McKegg walk and he was making pennies. The best thing about McKegg was that his name rhymed, but you're lying if you said you heard of him before we signed him.

I don't know if Matt Martin is the answer but having a somewhat established 4th line is important.
    GORTON 2020

Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    This. I love Jeff Gorton, but one thing he hasn't done well is ice a 4th line. It seems like every summer we bring in other team's garbage to fill that 4th line hole and it never works.

Carolina let McKegg walk and he was making pennies. The best thing about McKegg was that his name rhymed, but you're lying if you said you heard of him before we signed him.

I don't know if Matt Martin is the answer but having a somewhat established 4th line is important.
    Yup. I suggested recently they look at Derek Grant and Kyle Clifford, too. The point being, sign whomever you like more than the others, but if you're trying to build an identity line that's going to embody your hard-to-play-against mentality, you're going to need to buy at least one piece, if not multiple. There don't appear to be a glut of internal options just yet. Morgan Barron, Justin Richards, Patrick Khodorenko, and Austin Rueschhoff — all rookies with no NHL experience — are interesting names, but would need to make significant progress in camp to be considered as viable options over guys we know can play and who we know can fill that role.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Ok, let me rephrase.
    Signing Matt Martin to replace McKegg solves jack shit, unless you play him with other players with the skill set and nous to play that role. If the approach is “Brendan Lemieux is fucking busy and gets in guys faces, he can play there” or “Filip Chytil has been missing assignments all over the shop, let’s give him some time on the 4th line” it’s just not going to matter.
    I don’t really care about McKegg, but he’s proved he can do the job ok in the right situation. I don’t think swapping him with Martin is really where it’s at.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    Ok, let me rephrase.
    Signing Matt Martin to replace McKegg solves jack shit, unless you play him with other players with the skill set and nous to play that role. If the approach is “Brendan Lemieux is fucking busy and gets in guys faces, he can play there” or “Filip Chytil has been missing assignments all over the shop, let’s give him some time on the 4th line” it’s just not going to matter.
    I don’t really care about McKegg, but he’s proved he can do the job ok in the right situation. I don’t think swapping him with Martin is really where it’s at.
    Correct. That's what we're talking about here — definining that identity line. Giving it a purpose and role that extends well beyond "so and so isn't playing well, so cut their minutes and put them with the scrubs."
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast