• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

NYC DOE Delays School Re-opening — AGAIN

Blue Heaven

OMG, DeBlasio and the DOE has botched re-opening schools. Schools delayed for in-person learning to Sept. 29th (Elementary/Middle School), and Oct. 1st (High School). DeBlasio/DOE had since March to figure out plans for re-opening schools, instead they waited till August/September to check on ventilation, do classroom accessibility, figure out how many kids can be in each class. DOE should have had plans A-Z figured out by September....Now they are just going on a week to week, day to day basis whether its safe to open up schools. WTF! With all this, keeps on screwing families where both parents work by keep on delaying. DeBlasio/DOE have no clue on how to figure this out.

Yup. Brutal. We're full remote for Q1 and I was regretting it some. The more we've sat through these desperate attempts to figure this all out, the more I'm glad we didn't send him back yet.

We are scheduled to send our daughter back....we have the option of full remote since I am home till January....However, we thought it was best for our daughter to go back to in-school for about 2 weeks then re-assess whether to keep her or pull her out of school. At first, they said if you go full remote she wouldn't have a teacher that was affiliated with her school so we wanted to avoid that, but if we sent her to school then pulled her out she would have a teacher affiliated with her school.

Yeah, we had the same issue. DOE finally sent out an email yesterday or the day before announcing who my son's teacher would be this Monday when he's set to begin. With no instructions on what to do. Those come — get this — on Monday. LOL.

It's going to be chaos.

It's been pretty chaotic, here. Lots of bus routes cancelled, the slightest case of the sniffles sends entire families home from school, teachers and support staff dropping like flies, all kinds of fun.

My wife is (was) a nurse, she applied for an Education Assistant position, and got the job, but it was pulled at the last minute. Instead, they put her on a casual list to fill gaps as needed. Get this.. Today, after 4 years of being home, and her first day on this list, she was called in to TEACH a grade 1 class. LMAO. Total chaos.

I don’t know what in the world all of these schools planned. My fianc? is an Elementary school teacher in Suffolk County. She gets an automated call every day at 545am asking if she’s sick. I wake up at 530 am for work and feel like death before my coffee lol. If she has a kid that tests positive she’s supposed to then quarantine for 14 days. Same obviously if she gets sick. However, she’s charged the sick days even if it’s just for preventative reasons and she’s not sick and she’s still required to teach remotely while being forced to quarantine. She’s saving those for when she’s pregnant so using them if she’s being told to quarantine while not sick is nuts just because one kid she has in her class woke up one day with it.

A teacher already once was sent home when she came to work for having a fever on a Friday. She was back Monday. Huh? She couldn’t have been given a test result that quick, so I guess it’s just fly by your pants. I don’t think any of these schools have a clue what they are doing.

Yeah, we had the same issue. DOE finally sent out an email yesterday or the day before announcing who my son's teacher would be this Monday when he's set to begin. With no instructions on what to do. Those come — get this — on Monday. LOL.

It's going to be chaos.

Was same in NJ LOL. Teacher's union and all Boards of Ed suck.

2 things in NY are colliding to make this mess. Diblasio and his Chancellor had 6 months to plan this. That school starts in September is not a surprise. And they did....practically nothing.Not hard to understand when you see Diblasio could be the laziest man in earth. All he appears to care about is weed acquisition.

The other thing impacting NYC is teachers can apply to stay home if they have tested positive, or have underlying conditions, or have "anxiety". Underlying conditions include obesity, and smoking. The teachers' union, the UFT, is pushing this. Cannot be faulted for being cautious and concerned. But when you add in an imbecile like Diblasio being in charge,this framework is being abused. In normal times, it is in fact impossible to fire a teacher, even for just cause.And overwhelmingly teachers in NY do a great job under often difficult circumstances. But this current situation has encouraged many malingerers to go all out to do nothing.

There are not enough teachers for the "plans" these numbnuts have attempted. That is, before what ever the new plans will be tomorrow, and the next day, and then the next day. If there's no plan or the plan changes every 10 minutes, it's a disaster.

I don’t know what in the world all of these schools planned. My fianc? is an Elementary school teacher in Suffolk County. She gets an automated call every day at 545am asking if she’s sick. I wake up at 530 am for work and feel like death before my coffee lol. If she has a kid that tests positive she’s supposed to then quarantine for 14 days. Same obviously if she gets sick. However, she’s charged the sick days even if it’s just for preventative reasons and she’s not sick and she’s still required to teach remotely while being forced to quarantine. She’s saving those for when she’s pregnant so using them if she’s being told to quarantine while not sick is nuts just because one kid she has in her class woke up one day with it.

A teacher already once was sent home when she came to work for having a fever on a Friday. She was back Monday. Huh? She couldn’t have been given a test result that quick, so I guess it’s just fly by your pants. I don’t think any of these schools have a clue what they are doing.

Same shit my wife is dealing with. Absolute nightmare. A student in my wife's school took a trip to Florida last weekend and didn't quarantine, another student heard about it and narc'd him out. The school was on lock down yesterday, (or maybe this was two days ago now?) until they figured out what to do with the kid.

I am so glad my kids are both too young for school right now. I would not want to be dealing with this shit.

What?s happening is unconscionable but I?m not surprised. I?ve written here before about spending 13 years as a junior high teacher in NY. One of the many things wrong with education management is that few are qualified to lead by way of training. Classroom teacher ?> Assistant Principal ?> Principal ?> assistant Superintendent?> Superintendent. The education steps along the way are very light on management and leadership training/education. It?s no wonder to me that we are ?here? with such a mess to be figured out at this late stage of the game.

My kids are going 5 days a week, and so far so good, we are 2 weeks in and nothing major has happened. In my district, K-6 are 5 days a week or all virtual, which ever you choose, and 7-12 are every other day. The only issue we have heard is that one of the kids in their school went to the nurse with an allergy related issue, and they sent the kid home and said that she can't return until she gets a COVID test, and even pulled her sister from another school in the district and said she needs a test as well. She went to her doctor and they said that she didn't need a test because its not any symptoms of COVID. So we told our kids not to go to the nurse unless its a must. If your kid is out sick for anything, they need a doctors note to return which is a pain in the ass, because if its an allergy thing, then you need to try to get an appointment and pay a co-pay just to get a note.

Honestly, if the DOE has the same issues PD has in NYC, then I understand pushing it back. The city has done an extremely poor job in cleaning and getting PPE. The masks the gave us are absolute garbage. You attempt to put them on and the straps break. They gave everyone a tiny bottle of hand sanitizer back when this started, but never gave any refill for it. They never cleaned any of the offices that had confirmed cases, nor did they give us any cleaning supplies for us to clean ourselves. Most of the windows in city buildings open maybe 2 inches, and that's another issue. My wife is a teacher, and her windows barely open to what the specifications are supposed to be.

What’s happening is unconscionable but I’m not surprised. I’ve written here before about spending 13 years as a junior high teacher in NY. One of the many things wrong with education management is that few are qualified to lead by way of training. Classroom teacher —> Assistant Principal —> Principal —> assistant Superintendent—> Superintendent. The education steps along the way are very light on management and leadership training/education. It’s no wonder to me that we are ‘here’ with such a mess to be figured out at this late stage of the game.

What gets me is that the mayor, who runs the schools, didn't do anything all summer to set up any plans. When every school district in the state had to submit plans, NYC was the only one who barley submitted a plan, it was more of an outline. NYC is a joke with all of this COVID preparation. The fact that they were going to open schools before even having indoor dining was ridiculous.

My nephew attends Bronx Science. We'll see how this all plays out but he was telling me recently that if they attend in person, he gets his usual AP curriculum. But if they had to go virtual, the curriculum would revert to the 'standard' state mandate for his grade. Kid taught himself an advanced math class this summer in order to prepare for what he knew would be a challenging course. Now, he's facing the prospect of having to take a class he already finished two years ago.

The lack of preparation by those in charge for all students is deplorable.