Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HS Football Players Suspended from Team for Carrying Thin Blue, Thin Red Lines Flags

Senior Member Junior Division

HS Football Players Suspended from Team for Carrying Thin Blue, Thin Red Lines Flags

https://local12.com/news/local/footb...ame-cincinnati

MORROW, Ohio (WKRC) — Some local high school football players are finding that their support for first responders is coming at a huge cost.

The boys are now suspended from their team after not heeding a warning to leave the Thin Blue Line and Thin Red Line flags that represent fallen firefighters and police officers off the field.

When the Little Miami High School football team took the field Friday, Sept. 11, a couple of players carried alongside the American flag a Thin Blue Line and Thin Red Line flags.

“Were you trying to make some kind of a political statement here?” Local 12 asked Brady Williams, a senior cornerback.

“No,” he answered quickly. “Not at all. I was just doing it to honor the people that lost their lives 19 years ago.“

Williams was holding the Thin Blue Line flag as he rushed onto the field Friday. His father is a police officer, and he says he wanted to honor all the cops who lost their lives trying to save others on 9/11.

Jarad Bentley carried the Thin Red Line flag.

“I was all for it,” he said. “Because my dad is a firefighter, and if it had been him killed on 9/11, I would have wanted someone to do it for him.”

The prince that was promised BSBH Legend

HS Football Players Suspended from Team for Carrying Thin Blue, Thin Red Lines Flags

The problem is, the boys had asked the school permission prior to the game and they were denied and told if they defied the order, there would be consequences.

“Listen,” Williams said. “I don’t care what my consequences are. So long as my message gets across, I’ll be happy.”

Williams and Bentley heard from the athletic director Monday afternoon and received an indefinite suspension. Local 12 had spoken with the superintendent a few hours earlier.

We can’t have students who decide to do something anyway after they’ve been told that they shouldn’t be doing it,” said Gregory Power.

Power says he saw the flags as symbols of a political point of view and didn’t want to set a precedent.
    Seems pretty cut and dry to me. They asked to do something on behalf of the team or as individuals representing a team, were denied, did it anyway, and paid the price.

What's the problem here? All they had to do was comply with the ADs orders.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Seems pretty cut and dry to me. They asked to do something on behalf of the team or as individuals representing a team, were denied, did it anyway, and paid the price.

What's the problem here? All they had to do was comply with the ADs orders.

Welp common sense prevailed. Reinstated.
    https://www.wsbradio.com/news/trendi...MQW3YU734N77Q/

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
    Welp common sense prevailed. Reinstated.
    https://www.wsbradio.com/news/trendi...MQW3YU734N77Q/
    The Board reinstated them. They're still subject to school discipline.

--
    “Moving forward, Little Miami is returning the players to active status and this matter will be readdressed as an athletic department code of conduct issue, with any potential consequences to be handled by coaching staff,” according to a message obtained from*WHIO-TV*from the district’s Board of Education.
    --

Slippery slope to first deny them freedom of speech and then right to peacefully protest the verdict (being told they can't fly the flags).

That said, part of me agreed with superintendent. You asked, were told no, and did it anyway. Sets an awful precedent for students if they're not punished in some way.

Why is it "common sense" that they get reinstated with no penalty for violating rules?

It's not a freedom of speech issue. They're students representing their school during these activities. Further, they asked to do it, were explicitly told no, and did it fucking anyway. Something something something law and order something something just comply.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

HNIC BSBH Legend
    It's not a freedom of speech issue. They're students representing their school during these activities. Further, they asked to do it, were explicitly told no, and did it fucking anyway. Something something something law and order something something just comply.
    It's a freedom of speech issue the same way kneeling is.

Yes, and in the same way kneeling is, if your team owner says no, the answer is no. Don't like it? Go to another team that will let you. You're a representative of the company. They all have codes of conduct. Follow 'em or pay the price for not. Seems pretty cut and dry to me.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

You have to stop with comparing coming out with a flag to honor 9/11 and complying during arrest situations. Not even remotely the same. Not sure why in the world you would go that route.

You have to stop with comparing coming out with a flag to honor 9/11 and complying during arrest situations. Not even remotely the same. Not sure why in the world you would go that route.
    You're missing my point entirely if you think I'm seriously comparing them as fundamental issues. I'm highlighting the logical flaw in thinking between them.

These students were told by officials not to do something that they did anyway. They paid the price. The reason they did it is irerlevant. In exactly the same way we hear this logic applied to arrest situations. Once an officer has determined you are under arrest, I think you'd agree, you're under arrest, yes? You're no longer in a position to argue. In the same exact manner, when the school tells you NO, the answer is no. They decided not to listen and paid a price. Case closed.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Moderator BSBH Prospect

Yes, and in the same way kneeling is, if your team owner says no, the answer is no. Don't like it? Go to another team that will let you. You're a representative of the company. They all have codes of conduct. Follow 'em or pay the price for not. Seems pretty cut and dry to me.
    Tons of students (thousands) were told not to kneel a few years back by coaches/AD’s, yet did so anyways with no consequences that I’m aware of.

Last edited by Puck Head; 09-16-2020 at 12:27 PM.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    That's...not at all correct LOL. In fact it happened to one player. Literally. One.

Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post
    Tons of students (thousands) were told not to kneel a few years back by coaches/AD’s, yet did so anyways with no consistencies I’m aware of.

I'm assuming you mean consequences, and so what? If they were punished, I'd completely understand. You're a representative, not a free citizen. Kneel on your own time. These schools have every reason to protect their brands from statements they don't wish to associate with. There's nothing stopping these students from doing whatever it is they want to do off school grounds on their own time. No one is suspending these kids for wearing one of these flags in town.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

You're missing my point entirely if you think I'm seriously comparing them as fundamental issues. I'm highlighting the logical flaw in thinking between them.

These students were told by officials not to do something that they did anyway. They paid the price. The reason they did it is irerlevant. In exactly the same way we hear this logic applied to arrest situations. Once an officer has determined you are under arrest, I think you'd agree, you're under arrest, yes? You're no longer in a position to argue. In the same exact manner, when the school tells you NO, the answer is no. They decided not to listen and paid a price. Case closed.
    One is a lawful order and the other isn’t even remotely close. There just is no logical reason to even bring up law enforcement complying. The logical conversation is to just discuss if a school has the right to suppress someone trying to honor victims of 9/11. Not sure why, in a snarky manner, went the direction of “something something just comply” but I guess whatever?

One is a lawful order and the other isn’t even remotely close. There just is no logical reason to even bring up law enforcement complying. The logical conversation is to just discuss if a school has the right to suppress someone trying to honor victims of 9/11. Not sure why, in a snarky manner, went the direction of “something something just comply” but I guess whatever?
    Cops have the power to arrest non-complying suspects. Schools have the power to suspend non-complying students. Again, I'm not comparing the two as fundamental issues, I'm highlighting the logical flaw in thinking being applied to these two scenarios.

But here, let me try it this way, so it's less combative: Target has every right to tell its employees they cannot behave in specific behaviors — say wearing a blue/black lives matter armband — while they are working on behalf of the company, on company grounds. In exactly the same way a school can tell its students the same thing. If you, a Target employee, ask your manager if you can, and he says no, and you wear it anyway, I don't want to hear your whining when they suspend you. You did it to yourself, just as these students — self-admittedly — did it to themselves. There's no controversy here. It's a cut and dry, black, and white issue.

If you want to be on this football team, do as the AD and coaches ask. If you don't, don't, and pay the price.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Midget Division
    Listen, they are young and not married. They will learn. It's easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission.

Quote Originally Posted by 4EverRangerFrank View Post
    Listen, they are young and not married. They will learn. It's easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission.
    It's easy to expressly ignore a lack of permission too, it seems.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Cops have the power to arrest non-complying suspects. Schools have the power to suspend non-complying students. Again, I'm not comparing the two as fundamental issues, I'm highlighting the logical flaw in thinking being applied to these two scenarios.

But here, let me try it this way, so it's less combative: Target has every right to tell its employees they cannot behave in specific behaviors — say wearing a blue/black lives matter armband — while they are working on behalf of the company, on company grounds. In exactly the same way a school can tell its students the same thing. If you, a Target employee, ask your manager if you can, and he says no, and you wear it anyway, I don't want to hear your whining when they suspend you. You did it to yourself, just as these students — self-admittedly — did it to themselves. There's no controversy here. It's a cut and dry, black, and white issue.

If you want to be on this football team, do as the AD and coaches ask. If you don't, don't, and pay the price.
    Listen in not here to argue with you. I just think it's an incredibly poor to compare Law Enforcement to something akin to violating a school policy. Just seemed line an incredible I'll-minded comparison especially with the snarky part. Literally they can't be further from comparison so I'm not exactly sure why you went that direction.

I've explained it twice. I'm not explaining it a third time. If that's your only issue, I've moved away from it and offered you a less combative comparison.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

HNIC BSBH Legend

You are way off on that analogy. Target is a private company and employer.

This is a public school and extension of local government. This is local goverment agencies supressing freedom of speech.

Well im not asking you to explain it a third time and glad we moved away from it

I think the more important issue here and the point of what, makes this newsworthy is the concept of school staying out of messages either way in terms of this stuff. Personally I'm all for it. I don't think it's necessary to pledge allegiance every morning or allow current event issues whether it be blue lives matter, black lives matter, or all lives matter messages being displayed. It's polarizing right now and it's muddying the waters. Kids are in school to learn. Let them do the other stuff when they are out of school.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast