• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

You've Just Won the Lottery ? What Are You Still Refusing to Buy?

Phil

the moment younger white people get a little bit of money they decide to move to the suburbs 'for the schools' but its really because the thought of raising their children going to the same schools as non-white people terrifies them

People can live where they want. I’m not shutting on any of you guys who’ve moved to the burbs. But I have my feelings on it and I’m not gonna change it. I know my (in a couple of weeks) wife feels the same and we’re happy where we’re at

What else do you call it?

You've reduced millions of people to being racist, simply because they want to live in the suburbs and usually for a myriad of reasons. And you didn't answer my question. If it was only based on skin color, then why do non-white people move to the suburbs? Are they all Uncle Toms?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are some entire towns in the suburbs that are extremely bi, tri, quad racially diverse especially in Long Island. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but this is just way off base here imo. It’s just always been the proto typical “American dream” to carve out your own niche somewhere, get the white picket fence, oogle over your lawn, Let your dog roam free in the backyard, and have something you call your own. As far as I know, that goes for every color person.

Not everyone wants that but many many maaaaany do.

What else do you call it?

You've reduced millions of people to being racist, simply because they want to live in the suburbs and usually for a myriad of reasons. And you didn't answer my question. If it was only based on skin color, then why do non-white people move to the suburbs? Are they all Uncle Toms?

No what I’ve said was the reason city schools struggle is because anyone that can make up a tax base ups and leaves. But yes, literally the reasons suburbs were created was a way to escape being around black people. Entire suburbs were built up and entire groups of people were not allowed to move there.

And you’re putting words in my mouth with Uncle Tom. All I’ve said is that I don’t plan on complaining about how some schools/communities get limited resources while also being the reason it happens. Anyone can love where they want but the ‘for the better schools’ argument is a horseshit one. Yes there are plenty of reasons to move to the burns. Do what you want with your own money but if people stayed in a city, schools would get better and have more resources to do more.

There are some entire towns in the suburbs that are extremely bi, tri, quad racially diverse especially in Long Island. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but this is just way off base here imo. It’s just always been the proto typical “American dream” to carve out your own niche somewhere, get the white picket fence, oogle over your lawn, Let your dog roam free in the backyard, and have something you call your own. As far as I know, that goes for every color person.

Not everyone wants that but many many maaaaany do.

I have that, in a city.

Obviously for people in NYC, that’s a limited option. Move to the suburbs. Fine. I’m not saying don’t. I’m saying don’t use the schools as an excuse. The only reason that idea exists is because people all upped and left in the first place

To sum up. Regardless of how much money I have. Never moving to a the burbs. I know plenty of people who grew up in suburbs that have ‘great schools‘. Half of them are cool regular reasonably successful people and half are fuckups. There’s no set formula to it But I think people have convinced themselves their children are doomed if they ever step foot in a city school, when in reality you’re just fine, and I think race has more to do with it than Some people are willing to admit, even if it’s a subconscious thing. Move to the burbs if you want, but realistically the reason cities struggle is because people move. And using schools as an excuse is a self fulfilling prophecy and also a lame excuse

To sum up. Regardless of how much money I have. Never moving to a the burbs. I know plenty of people who grew up in suburbs that have ‘great schools‘. Half of them are cool regular reasonably successful people and half are fuckups. There’s no set formula to it But I think people have convinced themselves their children are doomed if they ever step foot in a city school, when in reality you’re just fine, and I think race has more to do with it than Some people are willing to admit, even if it’s a subconscious thing. Move to the burbs if you want, but realistically the reason cities struggle is because people move. And using schools as an excuse is a self fulfilling prophecy and also a lame excuse

Can’t it be sad that “subconsciously” if what you are saying is true is you’re kind of making it sound like without white people city schools are doomed? Kind is smacks of saying blacks are somewhat inferior since city schools struggle the second whites leave.

I’m sorry, your whole argument doesn’t hold anything factual. To me, it sounds more like you have a pet peeve of leaving where you’ve come from and have convinced yourself into thinking there is some noble reason behind it. Maybe you specifically just you know, like a city environment instead?

Can?t it be sad that ?subconsciously? if what you are saying is true is you?re kind of making it sound like without white people city schools are doomed? Kind is smacks of saying blacks are somewhat inferior since city schools struggle the second whites leave.

I?m sorry, your whole argument doesn?t hold anything factual. To me, it sounds more like you have a pet peeve of leaving where you?ve come from and have convinced yourself into thinking there is some noble reason behind it. Maybe you specifically just you know, like a city environment instead?

Yea, the whole argument is littered with false assumption.

"If I get money, I won't move to the suburbs"... Reality for most people is that they need to move to the suburbs because the more suburban you go, the less expensive it is. Lots of people can't afford to live close to the city.

"I need to live in an urban area so the schools will get better"... That will take decades. And your minimal tax contribution will not change much.

"People who move to the suburbs just don't want their kids going to school with black kids" ... That's the biggest whopper that's not even worth addressing.

Yea, the whole argument is littered with false assumption.

"If I get money, I won't move to the suburbs"... Reality for most people is that they need to move to the suburbs because the more suburban you go, the less expensive it is. Lots of people can't afford to live close to the city.

"I need to live in an urban area so the schools will get better"... That will take decades. And your minimal tax contribution will not change much.

"People who move to the suburbs just don't want their kids going to school with black kids" ... That's the biggest whopper that's not even worth addressing.

It’s just as simple as saying I would be pretty nervous to let my 9 year old play stickball in the street in front of my house off Ocean Pwky but in the middle of my cul de sac on the burbs of Suffolk County? Have at it junior. Daddy is out back grillin. Ask mommy to bring daddy a drink lol

It’s just as simple as saying I would be pretty nervous to let my 9 year old play stickball in the street in front of my house off Ocean Pwky but in the middle of my cul de sac on the burbs of Suffolk County? Have at it junior. Daddy is out back grillin. Ask mommy to bring daddy a drink lol

I have a grill too. its nice

ok, so in retrospect, i phrased some things poorly here, and I'm willing to admit I was wrong in parts of what i said

but to address some points, no im not saying white people need to save the schools. im also not saying my decision to stay in my midzied city is going to save the schools, just that i don't want to be a part of the problem they face anyway, and i dont think people hould be afraid of their children going to schools in a city. But what is 100% true is there a huge gap in inner city schools vs. suburban schools and its laregely due to a lower tax base.

Can’t it be sad that “subconsciously” if what you are saying is true is you’re kind of making it sound like without white people city schools are doomed? Kind is smacks of saying blacks are somewhat inferior since city schools struggle the second whites leave.

that's a reach bud

In summation, i 100% stand by my reasons of not wanting to live in the suburbs. Historically speaking the suburbs were designed to leave black people behind as most were not ever allowed to live in the communities that were formed, leaving city schools and communities they were/are a part of with less resources, and it's perpetuated to this day. I alone can't fix it, never claimed my property tax money will save a city. Aside from the suburbs just being not as fun of a place to live, and the fears of sending your children to schools in a city being grossly exaggerated and overblown to a level that becomes problematic, I know fully that I am going to stay in the house I purchased for a long time and will never willingly live in the suburbs. and the 'you'll learn kid' mentality and telling me what my wife is going to decide is kind of shitty too.

ok, so in retrospect, i phrased some things poorly here, and I'm willing to admit I was wrong in parts of what i said

but to address some points, no im not saying white people need to save the schools. im also not saying my decision to stay in my midzied city is going to save the schools, just that i don't want to be a part of the problem they face anyway, and i dont think people hould be afraid of their children going to schools in a city. But what is 100% true is there a huge gap in inner city schools vs. suburban schools and its laregely due to a lower tax base.

that's a reach bud

In summation, i 100% stand by my reasons of not wanting to live in the suburbs. Historically speaking the suburbs were designed to leave black people behind as most were not ever allowed to live in the communities that were formed, leaving city schools and communities they were/are a part of with less resources, and it's perpetuated to this day. I alone can't fix it, never claimed my property tax money will save a city. Aside from the suburbs just being not as fun of a place to live, and the fears of sending your children to schools in a city being grossly exaggerated and overblown to a level that becomes problematic, I know fully that I am going to stay in the house I purchased for a long time and will never willingly live in the suburbs. and the 'you'll learn kid' mentality and telling me what my wife is going to decide is kind of shitty too.

Well you are quoting me and then bringing up stuff others said but I’ll take a stab regardless.

I’m sure u do have grass, a grill, and all that but that’s not what anyone really thinks when they think of an urban area. It’s also much harder to come by than it is in a city. There also the other part where some areas have priced many people out of the city and money goes much further in a suburb.

I’m sorry but that’s ridiculously off based to say that suburbs were meant to leave blacks behind. It’s 2020 dude not 1950. People have been moving for generations to the suburbs to get the things in bigger and better forms that are extremely difficult to get in a city environment. 2 car garage, pool, large property, quiet And quaint styles, etc. I just think you are way way off base here. Nothing subconsciously race motivated about it these days. Black people, Spanish people, Asian, Indian, etc move to the suburbs.

Of course what I said is a reach but it pales in comparison to the reach you’re making by trying to say people move with racial undertones away from the city. Like I said, that’s cool if you specifically prefer the city. Probably can just leave it at that. Leaving that area though has nothing to do with race. Huge reach and it’s kind of insulting to claim otherwise.

that's a reach bud

You're mixing up what a bunch of people said.

What I said is you won't know what you'll want in 3, 5, 10 years, today. You can claim you'll never change your mind, but that's just never really the case.

My block has Hispanics, Asians, West Indians and Indians by way of London living on it.

I do think you messaged your feelings in a blanket way about all suburbs, so it might make sense to just say YOU will never leave YOUR urban area for YOUR suburbs for whatever reason...And stop trying to make it about all people in all suburbs. Because you're really way off about many other suburbs. I live within walking distance or a 5 minute drive of some of the nicest downtown areas in NJ...Summit, Millburn, Maplewood. Plenty to do between events, restaurants, bars. I'm 42 and don't need a "club scene" and I'm pretty sure a nice bar in Summit > the Albany club scene. ;)

The houses point is a good one — that's another thing I'm not splurging on. I don't need a fucking mansion. I don't need twenty bedrooms or four different dining rooms or anything of the sort. I'd want a pretty basic suburban home, too.

The houses point is a good one — that's another thing I'm not splurging on. I don't need a fucking mansion. I don't need twenty bedrooms or four different dining rooms or anything of the sort. I'd want a pretty basic suburban home, too.

Agreed. I would get a nice luxury vehicle but I wouldn't be getting several of them. I also wouldn't be splurging on a mansion in the Hamptons or Sands Point, etc. If I won several millions I am paying off debt, I am buying out my neighbor behind me, knocking down both his house and my current house and I am building a slightly bigger house in its place and absorbing my neighbor's land to make my lot bigger. I love my neighborhood, I love my neighbors, I don't wanna move anywhere else. I just want a little bigger space right where I am.

Agreed. I would get a nice luxury vehicle but I wouldn't be getting several of them. I also wouldn't be splurging on a mansion in the Hamptons or Sands Point, etc. If I won several millions I am paying off debt, I am buying out my neighbor behind me, knocking down both his house and my current house and I am building a slightly bigger house in its place and absorbing my neighbor's land to make my lot bigger. I love my neighborhood, I love my neighbors, I don't wanna move anywhere else. I just want a little bigger space right where I am.

You love your neighbors so much that your fantasy involves eliminating them :p

IDK guys...seems like I'm the only one buying stuff and spending that loot. If it truly is more money than you can ever spend, why not use it? I agree that $1-2 million doesn't change your life much, but $30-50M? $100-200M? I'm not saying a 123-room mansion makes any sense at all and by all accounts is pretty much unlivable but you do keep the economy moving with all the staff and maintenance help.

56,000' Home takes an army of help to run.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/what-it-takes-to-run-spelling-manor-the-disneyland-of-private-homes-11591800016