• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

You've Just Won the Lottery ? What Are You Still Refusing to Buy?

Phil

I got Sirius for $6/month. Shit's worth.

Way back when, you could buy a 'lifetime' subscription for the car. I think I paid a 1-time fee of $320 or so and kept the car ten years. The next guy will get SIRIUS forever too. (They don't offer that any more. I asked.)

As for the thread premise? What would I NOT buy? Geez IDK. I could easily spend $100Million in a month between property, cars, a boat and a NetJet account...farg this is tough. I wouldn't buy fruitcake ever. Yup! I really don't like it.

NOTE: We did a auction liquidation for a Lotto Winner years ago as he slid into bankruptcy. Multiple high-end motorcycles for him and his buddies (entourage) to tool around with. I guess he thought he could just stay on permanent vacation with his friends but he ran out of money. Nope, $3,000,000 does not go too far.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

honestly, a new house.

I got myself a nice house, very proud of it. I am proud that Im gonna stay in the actual city of Albany, NY as opposed to the surrounding suburbs. I wouldn't change where I live even with a ton of money.

Let's revisit this comment in a year or two haha

For me, it's cars. Growing up, we never really had the kind of money to support owning lavish new vehicles, so I've always treated cars in a utilitarian sense. Even if I had millions in the bank, I can't imagine I'd care very much about suddenly owning a fleet of vehicles I'd seldom use. Utter waste of time, money, and resources.

How much lottery we talking?

1 million or 100?

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

For me, it's cars. Growing up, we never really had the kind of money to support owning lavish new vehicles, so I've always treated cars in a utilitarian sense. Even if I had millions in the bank, I can't imagine I'd care very much about suddenly owning a fleet of vehicles I'd seldom use. Utter waste of time, money, and resources.

you do realize there's a 100% chance you relocate? Not saying a stable of cars, but you'll have some nice, unnecessary vehicles, no doubt.

you do realize there's a 100% chance you relocate? Not saying a stable of cars, but you'll have some nice, unnecessary vehicles, no doubt.

You underestimate just how little I care about cars.

Moving would be the first thing we do, but I'm still not buying a fleet of any kind. At best, we'd have two vehicles — both SUVs — so that the wife and I wouldn't have to worry about who has it/needs it.

I have plenty of things I'd unnecessarily spend on. Cars ain't them.

Moving would be the first thing we do, but I'm still not buying a fleet of any kind. At best, we'd have two vehicles — both SUVs — so that the wife and I wouldn't have to worry about who has it/needs it.

You’re not going to be buying a pair of used kias.

You’d be buying top of the line shit. Not Aston Martin, but still.

Yeah, but probably like a couple loaded Range Rovers right?

Yeah, I'd prefer a character/century home, myself, but I don't want to deal with the petty crime that comes with those areas. I don't want my kids looking out the window to watch meth heads pass by in a steady stream.

And I'm talking a tiny rural town, can't imagine what you guys would see. I definitely picked up the pace driving through Binghampton lol.

The older you get, the more your perspective on this changes.

I have some strong opinions on this and I intend to put my money where my mouth is and as someone who went grew up in city public schools, im happy with how my life has gone. If you dont care about those opinions then stop reading here.

I grew up in an urban environment and turned out fine. The reason city schools end up struggling is that the moment younger white people get a little bit of money they decide to move to the suburbs 'for the schools' but its really because the thought of raising their children going to the same schools as non-white people terrifies them

my perspective won't change.

I have some strong opinions on this and I intend to put my money where my mouth is and as someone who went grew up in city public schools, im happy with how my life has gone. If you dont care about those opinions then stop reading here.

I grew up in an urban environment and turned out fine. The reason city schools end up struggling is that the moment younger white people get a little bit of money they decide to move to the suburbs 'for the schools' but its really because the thought of raising their children going to the same schools as non-white people terrifies them

Then why do successful non-white people move to the suburbs too?

I'd be happy to. in this soon to be not just a hypothetical do I also win the lotto?

possibly a new house, but definitely not moving to the suburbs.

This is pre-marriage Pete circa ‘08.

Someday, your wife will tell you otherwise. If you don’t eventually figure it out.

People of every color, creed, whatever move to the suburbs and it has nothing to do with getting away from color, creed, whatever. There are a few top school districts in the Bronx that are well sought after.

But to each his or her own I guess. I like my land, nice school district, quiet evenings, letting kids run in car-less streets, not sharing walls with other apartments, etc. I grew up off Steinway street in Queens until ,y parents were able to afford a house of our own.

Maybe I should have stopped reading before your small town upstate perspective.

I grew up in Brooklyn and went to public schools my whole life. Turned out fine.

I moved to Jersey because I can't afford Brooklyn and I wanted some space for my kids to play, and not have them cooped up in some condo or attached row house with no yard. So I CHOSE a diverse community with good schools. They're not mutually exclusive.

Don't project your area's Lillie white bullshit on other people.

Then why do successful non-white people move to the suburbs too?

People can live where they want. I’m not shutting on any of you guys who’ve moved to the burbs. But I have my feelings on it and I’m not gonna change it. I know my (in a couple of weeks) wife feels the same and we’re happy where we’re at