Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: You've Just Won the Lottery — What Are You Still Refusing to Buy?

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by BlairBettsBlocksEverything View Post
    I'd be happy to. in this soon to be not just a hypothetical do I also win the lotto?

possibly a new house, but definitely not moving to the suburbs.
    The older you get, the more your perspective on this changes.

Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    Yeah, I'd prefer a character/century home, myself, but I don't want to deal with the petty crime that comes with those areas. I don't want my kids looking out the window to watch meth heads pass by in a steady stream.

And I'm talking a tiny rural town, can't imagine what you guys would see. I definitely picked up the pace driving through Binghampton lol.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The older you get, the more your perspective on this changes.
    I have some strong opinions on this and I intend to put my money where my mouth is and as someone who went grew up in city public schools, im happy with how my life has gone. If you dont care about those opinions then stop reading here.

I grew up in an urban environment and turned out fine. The reason city schools end up struggling is that the moment younger white people get a little bit of money they decide to move to the suburbs 'for the schools' but its really because the thought of raising their children going to the same schools as non-white people terrifies them

my perspective won't change.

I have some strong opinions on this and I intend to put my money where my mouth is and as someone who went grew up in city public schools, im happy with how my life has gone. If you dont care about those opinions then stop reading here.

I grew up in an urban environment and turned out fine. The reason city schools end up struggling is that the moment younger white people get a little bit of money they decide to move to the suburbs 'for the schools' but its really because the thought of raising their children going to the same schools as non-white people terrifies them

Then why do successful non-white people move to the suburbs too?

Russian Meddling BSBH Veteran
    I'd be happy to. in this soon to be not just a hypothetical do I also win the lotto?

possibly a new house, but definitely not moving to the suburbs.

This is pre-marriage Pete circa ‘08.

Someday, your wife will tell you otherwise. If you don’t eventually figure it out.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BSBH Prospect
    People of every color, creed, whatever move to the suburbs and it has nothing to do with getting away from color, creed, whatever. There are a few top school districts in the Bronx that are well sought after.

But to each his or her own I guess. I like my land, nice school district, quiet evenings, letting kids run in car-less streets, not sharing walls with other apartments, etc. I grew up off Steinway street in Queens until ,y parents were able to afford a house of our own.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    This is pre-marriage Pete circa ‘08.

Someday, your wife will tell you otherwise. If you don’t eventually figure it out.
    Well I know for a fact otherwise so I’m comfortable. I never wanted to live in a burb and she hasn’t either.

HNIC BSBH Legend

Maybe I should have stopped reading before your small town upstate perspective.

I grew up in Brooklyn and went to public schools my whole life. Turned out fine.

I moved to Jersey because I can't afford Brooklyn and I wanted some space for my kids to play, and not have them cooped up in some condo or attached row house with no yard. So I CHOSE a diverse community with good schools. They're not mutually exclusive.

Don't project your area's Lillie white bullshit on other people.

Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    Then why do successful non-white people move to the suburbs too?
    People can live where they want. I’m not shutting on any of you guys who’ve moved to the burbs. But I have my feelings on it and I’m not gonna change it. I know my (in a couple of weeks) wife feels the same and we’re happy where we’re at

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Well I know for a fact otherwise so I’m comfortable. I never wanted to live in a burb and she hasn’t either.
    You have no clue what you'll know for a fact in 3, 5 or 10 years.

You're still wet behind the ears, kid.

the moment younger white people get a little bit of money they decide to move to the suburbs 'for the schools' but its really because the thought of raising their children going to the same schools as non-white people terrifies them
    People can live where they want. I’m not shutting on any of you guys who’ve moved to the burbs. But I have my feelings on it and I’m not gonna change it. I know my (in a couple of weeks) wife feels the same and we’re happy where we’re at
    What else do you call it?

You've reduced millions of people to being racist, simply because they want to live in the suburbs and usually for a myriad of reasons. And you didn't answer my question. If it was only based on skin color, then why do non-white people move to the suburbs? Are they all Uncle Toms?

There are some entire towns in the suburbs that are extremely bi, tri, quad racially diverse especially in Long Island. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but this is just way off base here imo. It’s just always been the proto typical “American dream” to carve out your own niche somewhere, get the white picket fence, oogle over your lawn, Let your dog roam free in the backyard, and have something you call your own. As far as I know, that goes for every color person.

Not everyone wants that but many many maaaaany do.

Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    What else do you call it?

You've reduced millions of people to being racist, simply because they want to live in the suburbs and usually for a myriad of reasons. And you didn't answer my question. If it was only based on skin color, then why do non-white people move to the suburbs? Are they all Uncle Toms?
    No what I’ve said was the reason city schools struggle is because anyone that can make up a tax base ups and leaves. But yes, literally the reasons suburbs were created was a way to escape being around black people. Entire suburbs were built up and entire groups of people were not allowed to move there.

And you’re putting words in my mouth with Uncle Tom. All I’ve said is that I don’t plan on complaining about how some schools/communities get limited resources while also being the reason it happens. Anyone can love where they want but the ‘for the better schools’ argument is a horseshit one. Yes there are plenty of reasons to move to the burns. Do what you want with your own money but if people stayed in a city, schools would get better and have more resources to do more.

Quote Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
    There are some entire towns in the suburbs that are extremely bi, tri, quad racially diverse especially in Long Island. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but this is just way off base here imo. It’s just always been the proto typical “American dream” to carve out your own niche somewhere, get the white picket fence, oogle over your lawn, Let your dog roam free in the backyard, and have something you call your own. As far as I know, that goes for every color person.

Not everyone wants that but many many maaaaany do.
    I have that, in a city.

Obviously for people in NYC, that’s a limited option. Move to the suburbs. Fine. I’m not saying don’t. I’m saying don’t use the schools as an excuse. The only reason that idea exists is because people all upped and left in the first place

To sum up. Regardless of how much money I have. Never moving to a the burbs. I know plenty of people who grew up in suburbs that have ‘great schools‘. Half of them are cool regular reasonably successful people and half are fuckups. There’s no set formula to it But I think people have convinced themselves their children are doomed if they ever step foot in a city school, when in reality you’re just fine, and I think race has more to do with it than Some people are willing to admit, even if it’s a subconscious thing. Move to the burbs if you want, but realistically the reason cities struggle is because people move. And using schools as an excuse is a self fulfilling prophecy and also a lame excuse

HNIC BSBH Legend
    I'm so glad upstate doesn't make the decisions for downstate.

You have no clue what you'll know for a fact in 3, 5 or 10 years.

You're still wet behind the ears, kid.
    Kid? Not sure how old you think I am lol

To sum up. Regardless of how much money I have. Never moving to a the burbs. I know plenty of people who grew up in suburbs that have ‘great schools‘. Half of them are cool regular reasonably successful people and half are fuckups. There’s no set formula to it But I think people have convinced themselves their children are doomed if they ever step foot in a city school, when in reality you’re just fine, and I think race has more to do with it than Some people are willing to admit, even if it’s a subconscious thing. Move to the burbs if you want, but realistically the reason cities struggle is because people move. And using schools as an excuse is a self fulfilling prophecy and also a lame excuse
    Can’t it be sad that “subconsciously” if what you are saying is true is you’re kind of making it sound like without white people city schools are doomed? Kind is smacks of saying blacks are somewhat inferior since city schools struggle the second whites leave.

I’m sorry, your whole argument doesn’t hold anything factual. To me, it sounds more like you have a pet peeve of leaving where you’ve come from and have convinced yourself into thinking there is some noble reason behind it. Maybe you specifically just you know, like a city environment instead?

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
    Can’t it be sad that “subconsciously” if what you are saying is true is you’re kind of making it sound like without white people city schools are doomed? Kind is smacks of saying blacks are somewhat inferior since city schools struggle the second whites leave.

I’m sorry, your whole argument doesn’t hold anything factual. To me, it sounds more like you have a pet peeve of leaving where you’ve come from and have convinced yourself into thinking there is some noble reason behind it. Maybe you specifically just you know, like a city environment instead?
    Yea, the whole argument is littered with false assumption.

"If I get money, I won't move to the suburbs"... Reality for most people is that they need to move to the suburbs because the more suburban you go, the less expensive it is. Lots of people can't afford to live close to the city.

"I need to live in an urban area so the schools will get better"... That will take decades. And your minimal tax contribution will not change much.

"People who move to the suburbs just don't want their kids going to school with black kids" ... That's the biggest whopper that's not even worth addressing.

Yea, the whole argument is littered with false assumption.

"If I get money, I won't move to the suburbs"... Reality for most people is that they need to move to the suburbs because the more suburban you go, the less expensive it is. Lots of people can't afford to live close to the city.

"I need to live in an urban area so the schools will get better"... That will take decades. And your minimal tax contribution will not change much.

"People who move to the suburbs just don't want their kids going to school with black kids" ... That's the biggest whopper that's not even worth addressing.
    It’s just as simple as saying I would be pretty nervous to let my 9 year old play stickball in the street in front of my house off Ocean Pwky but in the middle of my cul de sac on the burbs of Suffolk County? Have at it junior. Daddy is out back grillin. Ask mommy to bring daddy a drink lol

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast