• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Nils Lundkvist Dilemma Pushing Rangers to Trade DeAngelo

Phil

Here is another reason, perhaps the most significant one, that the Rangers won?t be signing impending restricted free agent Tony DeAngelo to a multi-year contract and instead are seeking to trade the 24-year-old righty defenseman:

That is because a contract of longer than one year for DeAngelo would all but ensure losing 20-year-old righty defenseman Nils Lundkvist to unrestricted free agency on June 2, 2022, without ever getting the Swede to Broadway.

Teams hold exclusive rights to European-born draft picks through the fourth June 1 following their selection, per the CBA. Lundkvist was selected 28th overall in 2018 with the first-rounder obtained from Tampa Bay in the package for Ryan McDonagh and J.T. Miller. So, the Rangers hold his rights through June 1, 2022.

What do you think the odds would be of the highly regarded Swede signing in New York next summer, or the summer after that, knowing the Blueshirts have Jacob Trouba, Adam Fox and DeAngelo lined up long term on the right side of the blue line with free agency and a clearer path elsewhere to the NHL available on the open market?

Exactly.

The Rangers are going to need a steady flow of impact players on entry-level contracts over the next few years, at least, in order to support and counterbalance the pricey contracts at the top of the depth chart. Lundkvist would seem to fit that definition and fill that need.

There seems no inclination to move DeAngelo to the left, where the Rangers do have an abundance of prospects beginning with K?Andre Miller, who has spent the summer in Connecticut training with the renowned Ben Prentiss.

https://nypost.com/2020/09/12/nils-lundkvist-dilemma-pushing-rangers-to-trade-tony-deangelo/

Didnt even bother reading. How is it your job to write and talk about a team and its players and not even knowing who is who? This isnt even the 1st time he?s mixed Lundkvist and Kjellberg.

He want Rangers to trade a top 5 point producing D man for a guy he dont know what looks like (and most likely not watched him play much either).

With that said - I love Lundkvist and Im confident he?ll make the team as soon as possible, so they gotta make room for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Didnt even bother reading. How is it your job to write and talk about a team and its players and not even knowing who is who? This isnt even the 1st time he’s mixed Lundkvist and Kjellberg.

He want Rangers to trade a top 5 point producing D man for a guy he dont know what looks like (and most likely not watched him play much either).

With that said - I love Lundkvist and Im confident he’ll make the team as soon as possible, so they gotta make room for him.

You make room for him when necessary. He’s not here now.

Do they not need Deangelo next season?

Wouldn’t that also mean they don’t need Lundkvist in the season after that and beyond?

You don’t trade a known to be replaced by an unknown, unless the known is unnecessary. If it’s unnecessary, so is the unknown.

You make room for him when necessary. He?s not here now.

Do they not need Deangelo next season?

Wouldn?t that also mean they don?t need Lundkvist in the season after that and beyond?

You don?t trade a known to be replaced by an unknown, unless the known is unnecessary. If it?s unnecessary, so is the unknown.

Yeah I didnt say anything about trading ADA, I just said at some point they gotta make room for him.

How they do that is a question I dont know the answer to. I like ADA and want to keep him, but Fox is not going anywhere and Troubs just signed here, so its a tough spot.

I would trade the #22 and TDA to try and move up. But yes with out knowing what the cap will be after next season you have to trade TDA to make room for the kids in the pipe line . Same with Strome. I would try hard to trade him.And I would sign both Kyle Clifford and Matt Martin or Patrick Moroon

I would trade the #22 and TDA to try and move up. But yes with out knowing what the cap will be after next season you have to trade TDA to make room for the kids in the pipe line . Same with Strome. I would try hard to trade him.And I would sign both Kyle Clifford and Matt Martin or Patrick Moroon

That would pretty much have to be a top 5 pick to get me to consider.

Move up for what? They don’t need prospects. Any D prospect they draft in 2020 wouldn’t be here until Panarin is gone.

Different approach right now. Need effective NHL bodies.

I’d trade Trouba and our later 1st round pick to move into the top 5 in a heartbeat.

I would too but it won’t happen. I have a feeling though Trouba is going to be much much better for us in the coming years. Had to be a huge adjustment from the peg to here and I’m sure there were plenty of distractions with everything forcing the move here partly for his future and fianc

Make room for the kids in the pipeline... But sign TWO of Clifford/Maroon/Martin?

Make room for the kids in the pipeline... But sign TWO of Clifford/Maroon/Martin?

I’d assume he means obviously for the 4th line which we all agree we need, no? I mean I don’t want Martin at all but one of the other two in 4th line roles for Low cost sure.

I?ve seen a couple of articles?Blue seats Blog & Blueshirt Forever talking of Tarmo Reunanen, a 22 yr old LHD who?s in our system. 1 of our top defensive prospects. Questioning why he has yet to be loaned out to a Europe League?-basically alluding to the fact that he hasn?t because we plan on having him our our team next year. Any chance of that?

This from blue seats blog:

As the Rangers organize a mass exodus of their prospects to the European leagues. One name is surprisingly absent from this list. Tarmo Reunanen, who has spent the last four seasons in Finland, is not currently on loan to a team in Liiga yet. Reunanen, who signed his ELC with the Rangers last year, was loaned last year and was expected to be loaned this year.

Reunanen has had a pair of strong seasons with Luuko, putting up seasons of 6-19-25 in 58 games and 5-14-19 in 51 games. He plays a very well rounded game, makes a smart first pass, and is generally very poised with the puck. He was the highest scoring defenseman on the team in that 25 point season.

Penciled In For An NHL Role?

The Rangers are very thin on left defense. Their top LD following the Brady Skjei trade was Brendan Smith. With Smith likely gone to clear cap space, Ryan Lindgren and Marc Staal are your left defensemen. It?s assumed K?Andre Miller will need a bit of time in the AHL, despite a strong camp showing in July. There?s no need to rush him from the NCAA?s to the pros.

Since both Yegor Rykov and Libor Hajek are on loan, that leaves Reunanen. Hajek can be recalled, but let?s be real, he wasn?t that good. Based off Hajek?s NHL performance, the Rangers have nothing to lose by seeing what Reunanen can do. Remember, he?s been playing in the top Finnish league for a few years now.

While certainly not a guarantee to make the club, Reunanen is what the Rangers need right now. He plays a very smart game and is a solid puck mover. Lindgren has been good, but he?s not a noted puck mover. The left side of the defense was exploited by Carolina for their inability to move the puck, and Reunanen partially addresses this.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Like 1

I’ve seen a couple of articles—Blue seats Blog & Blueshirt Forever talking of Tarmo Reunanen, a 22 yr old LHD who’s in our system. 1 of our top defensive prospects. Questioning why he has yet to be loaned out to a Europe League—-basically alluding to the fact that he hasn’t because we plan on having him our our team next year. Any chance of that?

This from blue seats blog:

As the Rangers organize a mass exodus of their prospects to the European leagues. One name is surprisingly absent from this list. Tarmo Reunanen, who has spent the last four seasons in Finland, is not currently on loan to a team in Liiga yet. Reunanen, who signed his ELC with the Rangers last year, was loaned last year and was expected to be loaned this year.

Reunanen has had a pair of strong seasons with Luuko, putting up seasons of 6-19-25 in 58 games and 5-14-19 in 51 games. He plays a very well rounded game, makes a smart first pass, and is generally very poised with the puck. He was the highest scoring defenseman on the team in that 25 point season.

Penciled In For An NHL Role?

The Rangers are very thin on left defense. Their top LD following the Brady Skjei trade was Brendan Smith. With Smith likely gone to clear cap space, Ryan Lindgren and Marc Staal are your left defensemen. It’s assumed K’Andre Miller will need a bit of time in the AHL, despite a strong camp showing in July. There’s no need to rush him from the NCAA’s to the pros.

Since both Yegor Rykov and Libor Hajek are on loan, that leaves Reunanen. Hajek can be recalled, but let’s be real, he wasn’t that good. Based off Hajek’s NHL performance, the Rangers have nothing to lose by seeing what Reunanen can do. Remember, he’s been playing in the top Finnish league for a few years now.

While certainly not a guarantee to make the club, Reunanen is what the Rangers need right now. He plays a very smart game and is a solid puck mover. Lindgren has been good, but he’s not a noted puck mover. The left side of the defense was exploited by Carolina for their inability to move the puck, and Reunanen partially addresses this.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Maybe Reunanen is injured/sick? Maybe they plan on trading him at or before the draft? I think our LD is fine and we need to play Hajek I think 40 games? to have him exposed in expansion draft.

What happens if:

1) Lundkvist decides he'd rather stay in Sweden than work his way through the Rangers system.. Not signing with the Rangers .

2) He signs, but doesn't pan out

Can people stop thinking these prospects are automatic? You don't trade a top 5 scoring D man to make room for someone who hasn't played one single game for the organization.

If you are trading DeAngelo you are getting back a legit, young, cost controlled 2C. I don't see one available with a trade partner.

Move DeAngelo to the left side, pair him with Trouba or Fox and back fill the rest when Smith and Staal are gone after this coming season.

Crap. You CAN trade the prospect right now. Maybe you sell high on the unknown. If you're THAT scared that he won't sign here, TRADE HIM.

What happens if:

1) Lundkvist decides he'd rather stay in Sweden than work his way through the Rangers system.. Not signing with the Rangers .

2) He signs, but doesn't pan out

Can people stop thinking these prospects are automatic? You don't trade a top 5 scoring D man to make room for someone who hasn't played one single game for the organization.

If you are trading DeAngelo you are getting back a legit, young, cost controlled 2C. I don't see one available with a trade partner.

Move DeAngelo to the left side, pair him with Trouba or Fox and back fill the rest when Smith and Staal are gone after this coming season.

Crap. You CAN trade the prospect right now. Maybe you sell high on the unknown. If you're THAT scared that he won't sign here, TRADE HIM.

Not that you don't have good points, but in a flat-cap world, isn't it better to sell high on the known but unpredictable?

Nils Lundkvist is a bit of a mystery box in that every prospect has some questions.

ADA is a somewhat known commodity, but he's also coming off what is undeniably his best season offensively. He's unsigned, and he's in line for a big raise. He's our clear #3 RHD (Trouba, Fox), and both of them could take his spot on the PP and do something similar to what he did this year - with the added bonus of not getting smoked on defense all day. He's more Michael Del Zotto than he is John Carlson right now, and you just can't pay MDZ like he's Carlson and expect to win.

It's hard, but the right move is to move on, even if the deal is mostly futures.