• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

19 years

jsm7302

Though the politics are divisive in this election year, we cannot forget the moment where nothing else mattered than the well being of the US citizens and those in NYC and the surrounding area on this day, 19 years ago.

My condolences to all who lost someone they knew or loved; for everyone else, take a moment to remember where you were when the plane first hit the WTC, and then remember the everlasting memories and photos of the chaos that ensued. God bless everyone whom was there and witnessed 9/11 or the days following. That feeling of patriotism afterwards, I will never forget. NYC is and always will be a special place and this day will never be forgotten. Stay safe everyone and feel free to share stories.

I was in 4th period Spanish class, sophomore year of high school when a kid came in and told us a plane hit the WTC. We spent the rest of the day watching the television in the only English classroom with cable. Kids left through out the day. So solemn.

I'll also never forget my next trip into NYC for a Rangers game; My pop and I took the Weehauken ferry and Ill never forget the glass wall facing Manhatten being plastered from floor to as high as one could reach with missing posters for loved ones.

I still get emotional today every year and I find it tough to watch videos of that day. I didn't lose anyone directly, but I have plenty of friends who lost parents, siblings, cousins, etc.. Maybe it's residual sadness, I don't know.

I find it hard to comprehend the sheer randomness of that day. The idea you could be going to work just like every other day, getting on a plane for a trip somewhere, or just sitting around in your boring firehouse, and then to be thrust into a hellish landscape in a moment... Really hard to come to grips with.

I actually have a very strange story about the WTC. I was dating a girl that worked there at the time. The night before, she was sick. Lived in Chinatown. I was 25 at the time I think, she was 24. She was from a fairly traditional family so they didn’t know we stayed together s lot. She would tell her family she is staying at a coworkers house when she was working late.

Anyway, night before I’m trying to get her to take off work which she rarely does. Finally around 11pm I convince her and drive to NYC to pick her up. She kinda creeps out and comes with me. We wake up the following morning to the obvious news and were in utter shock. It changed both our lives forever because after finally hours later when she finally got through to her family to say she was okay (phones were all messed up everywhere) we made a pact to treat life a bit differently and travelled together around Asia. Just get out there and see things because you never know. It’s what ended up with me living in China for years. To be honest, we aren’t in touch anymore but It’s just so weird how life ends up. One quick left turn and you just never know what you might have been spared of sometimes.

As for losing some friends, now in law enforcement I’ve lost a few older friends to 9/11 related cancers that were deployed there for the weeks afterwards. To all those victims and those that made the ultimate sacrifice for fellow man, we all salute and honor you.

Still a very tough day to relive. Like most other people I still remember exactly where I was when it unfolded. Being 2 hours behind here in Edmonton, I was in Grade 12 at the time and just getting ready to leave the house for school while my parents were watching the morning news in the family room.

It's still hard to imagine the final moments of the passengers in each of those planes, the people trapped in the buildings after the impact and all of the first responders having to deal with it at a moment's notice without having an idea of the magnitude of the disaster that lay ahead of them...and all of their families seeing this unfold and not having any idea what was happening to their loved ones. Those are the thoughts that still stick with me to this day.

my dad was supposed to work near there that day but something changed so he didn't go. I was in 3rd grade and didn't really understand what was going on, just that we got taken out of school. Only when I got home did I see what happened. The older I've gotten the more fucked up it becomes to me. Changed our country forever.

Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Man, thinking back on this is a bit surreal, but yep, I 100% remember exactly where I was.

Senior year of high school. 2nd period history test. Teacher from across the hall came into our classroom and told our teacher to put the TV on and he was like, ?I?M GIVING A TEST,? but he did and the rest was fucking history.

I was in PA at the time and remember trying to reach my mom in NYC from the school. Eesh.

One of those days that you will always remember where you were. I remember being with my then girlfriend driving down the west side highway and looking up at the towers a few days before and just being in awe of my surroundings. I was unemployed at the time, sleeping late since I was 24, my brother in Florida called and half asleep he was like you watching, I was in a daze and asked about what, he said put on the tv and my jaw dropped. I realized that my g/f was suppose to have a job interview downtown and immediately tried to get in touch with her.....couldnt for quite some time, finally I was able to and was relieved that she was ok.....I hopped in my car, and took me over 2 hours to drive from Forest Hills to Canarsie just to pick up her and bring her back to my house. Still can't believe what happened 19 years ago. World changed that day.

I was feeding my youngest son in his highchair when it went down. My dad called me and said turn on the radio (we had no TV at the time) and I listened to Stern and NewsRadio88 all day. I recall a strong sense of wanting to get into my car and drive down to NYC, abandon my car on the west side and go help in any way. But that was impossible with a young tike at home with me. My cousin worked near the pile as a NJ State Trooper and i work with a NY State Trooper today who was relocated to lower Manhattan from his usual duty along the Northway in the Adirondacks. He told me so much about the weeks he was there and how solemn the work was performed...and so many bodies removed. RIP everyone who died. I hope the families have found peace.