• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

NYR Rank 1st in Pronman's Under-22 Organizational Rankings

LindG1000

https://theathletic.com/2042484/2020/09/11/2020-nhl-organizational-rankings-no-1-new-york-rangers/

The Rangers have a built a very impressive collection of young talent, a group of players who I project can play important roles on a good team. And yes, I?m aware I?m writing this before the Rangers will have the first-overall pick in the 2020 NHL Draft. With the current state of the roster, farm, and draft capital, it?s clear to me the Rangers have a contending window that is starting to open. That doesn?t mean any guarantees about next season, but in the short-term I think this is a group that can make some noise and become a top team in the NHL.

A few key excerpts/trends for those who do not subscribe:

On Kakko: Kakko?s rookie NHL season went through some bumps, and while he didn?t put up huge numbers, I still see a lot to be optimistic about. Inside the offensive zone, Kakko showed how he could impact a game. He?s a very skilled and intelligent forward with size and power in his game. Off the flank he?s able to find seams at a high rate and create a lot of offense with his playmaking. He has the stick skills to beat defenders one-on-one and make tough plays in small areas. He will run a top power-play unit very effectively at his peak. Kakko?s footspeed is average, and versus NHL forwards he wasn?t able to drive the net to create offense or dangle past defenders like he did at other levels due to his inability to turn the corner. He was only 18 and with physical maturity, that aspect of his game should come even if he may never be the quickest. He also played on a very deep Rangers offense (fifth in the league in goals) so I?m not overly concerned about the lack of offense, but his speed will need to come. I still see a player who can grow into a true star.

On Howden: His hockey sense is great, showing great vision with the puck and ability to set up chances at an NHL level. He?s a smart defensive player too, and overall a player a coach can trust because of his IQ and great compete level. Howden plays hard, getting to the net, killing penalties and winning a lot of battles. His game lacks flash. He?s not that quick or that skilled a puckhandler, so I could see him just be a third-line center, but I see enough playmaking in his game to think he may have another level even if he may be a boring player when he reaches that level.

On Kravtsov: He?s a very tough evaluation case because he?s very talented. He?s a big forward with elite hands who can make high-end plays through defenders or to his teammates. He projects to run an NHL power-play unit due to his vision and on his best shift Kravtsov can take over. Those best shifts are spread out though, as Kravtsov?s lack of speed and physicality led to a significant adjustment period to the AHL level but he showed progress as the season went on. He needs some stability, to be able to dominate a level for a significant period of time and make the most of his tremendous skill.

The thing Pronman keeps saying is that we've got smart players - he references Kakko's intelligence, Fox's intelligence, Lundkvist's "fantastic brain" - that's really interesting insight as to what the FO has valued in the past few drafts. They don't want pure skill - they want skilled enough and smart.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://theathletic.com/2042484/2020/09/11/2020-nhl-organizational-rankings-no-1-new-york-rangers/

A few key excerpts/trends for those who do not subscribe:

The thing Pronman keeps saying is that we've got smart players - he references Kakko's intelligence, Fox's intelligence, Lundkvist's "fantastic brain" - that's really interesting insight as to what the FO has valued in the past few drafts. They don't want pure skill - they want skilled enough and smart.

Equating to a very deep team

One thing that stuck out for me is Pronman's rating of Chytil as a "high end NHL player." He has shown short flashes of brilliance and moved up the learning curve last season, but would have said that he has not yet shown the goods for a "high-end" NHLer. Hope he's right.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Digest for nonsubscribers:

NHL Caliber

1. Kakko

2. Fox

3. Chytil

4. Lundqvist

5. Howden

6. Kravtsov

7. Gauthier

8. Miller

9. Robertson

10. Barron

11. Zac Jones

12. Lindgren

NHL Potential

Hajek

Rueschoff

Andersson

Pajuniemi

Khodorenko

Henrikssen

Aaltonen

Skinner

Wall

Rykov

Kjellberg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

One thing that stuck out for me is Pronman's rating of Chytil as a "high end NHL player." He has shown short flashes of brilliance and moved up the learning curve last season, but would have said that he has not yet shown the goods for a "high-end" NHLer. Hope he's right.

Having read far too many Pronman pieces, I think I understand where he's coming from. He values high end skill and upside more than anything. He works from a position of "if you have it in you, it's there to be mined" until it's not. And when you think about it, when Chytil is really on, he shows all the traits. He's big, I'd say he's a good skater, he's got good hands and he can score goals. It's flashes at this point, but it's there. I think I agree with him that if - and it's a pretty big if at this point - he can put it all together, he's got the raw tools to be a very good top 6 player.

Having read far too many Pronman pieces, I think I understand where he's coming from. He values high end skill and upside more than anything. He works from a position of "if you have it in you, it's there to be mined" until it's not. And when you think about it, when Chytil is really on, he shows all the traits. He's big, I'd say he's a good skater, he's got good hands and he can score goals. It's flashes at this point, but it's there. I think I agree with him that if - and it's a pretty big if at this point - he can put it all together, he's got the raw tools to be a very good top 6 player.

I'm more than willing to believe. I try to think about him on a Zib-like timeline, maybe a little sooner/earlier, and if it's all true our 2C is already in-house. But my Ranger fan membership card would be in serious danger if I didn't spend at least half the time worrying, whining, and demanding certainty that cannot exist. He's got to get better at face-offs, tho.

Pronman: "Rangers are ranked #1 in the NHL in prospects under 22"

This board: "I can't believe they took that goalie with that 2nd round pick once"

Cool how you switched out "Pete" with "this board" in a really passive aggressive way to not make a personal comment. Really spectacular work and added value.

Cool how you switched out "Pete" with "this board" in a really passive aggressive way to not make a personal comment. Really spectacular work and added value.

I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt that you're not alone since other chimed in on your comment. But if you want to own it, go ahead.

I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt that you're not alone since other chimed in on your comment. But if you want to own it, go ahead.
Cool. I will.

I didn't have anything to say about the list that hadn't already been said other than a goalie we drafted 2 years ago in the second round didn't make it.

That cool with you?