• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

NYR Rank 1st in Pronman's Under-22 Organizational Rankings

LindG1000

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The obvious one is not wanting to say anything bad about a player in public, which is both understandable, common and old as time itself. Publicly disparaging an asset can devalue that asset in the rest of the market. It's pointless, and counter productive.

We also have no idea as to what Yzerman thinks, as sure, he drafted him, but he also traded him. Quickly. Beyond that, there would have been Lightning scouts that thought it was a dumb pick at the time, that's always the case, and he wasn't even a high pick, anyways, so it's not like he is, or ever was, some virtual lock to be a productive NHL'er.

I think it's a question of development and expectations. He has a good attitude which will go a long way with a coach, and if you look really hard I think you can see what people like. But, he's not there yet, and there's no guarantee that he ever will be.

The obvious one is not wanting to say anything bad about a player in public, which is both understandable, common and old as time itself. Publicly disparaging an asset can devalue that asset in the rest of the market. It's pointless, and counter productive.

We also have no idea as to what Yzerman thinks, as sure, he drafted him, but he also traded him. Quickly. Beyond that, there would have been Lightning scouts that thought it was a dumb pick at the time, that's always the case, and he wasn't even a high pick, anyways, so it's not like he is, or ever was, some virtual lock to be a productive NHL'er.

I think it's a question of development and expectations. He has a good attitude which will go a long way with a coach, and if you look really hard I think you can see what people like. But, he's not there yet, and there's no guarantee that he ever will be.

Fair. And you're right. They won't say anything bad about him.

They also don't have to say anything about him at all. Yet JD brought him up as someone who played well in the play in. Why?

Out of all the back and forth in this thread, the most likely scenario, to me, is that he's doing something right as far as hockey people see. We're not hockey people. We're people who like hockey.

This isn't like Renney love affair with Voros... This is Tampa thinking highly enough to draft him in the first round, to Gorton thinking highly enough to trade for him, to Quinn playing him, to JD praising him. That's 4 guys from 4 backgrounds with 4 agendas.

As far as Yzerman trading him... Who cares. Jarome Iginla got traded. Does that mean Dallas didn't think highly of him? You know that's paper thin. Markus Naslund got traded. Tyler Seguin got traded. Jeremy Roenick. Bernie Nichols a few times. I can go on.

Hey, fuck you. I'm the Director of Player Development for Hanover Minor Hockey. I'm a Big Wheel.

But seriously, there is stuff to like about Howden, I'm on board with that, but he's a player that will thrive in a supporting role, if it all works out.

It also wouldn't be exactly novel for a FO to pump a player in a bid to inflate their value. Not saying that's the case here, at all, but it's a thing.

• Like 1

Hey, fuck you. I'm the Director of Player Development for Hanover Minor Hockey. I'm a Big Wheel.

But seriously, there is stuff to like about Howden, I'm on board with that, but he's a player that will thrive in a supporting role, if it all works out.

It also wouldn't be exactly novel for a FO to pump a player in a bid to inflate their value. Not saying that's the case here, at all, but it's a thing.

I agree with the pumping tires. Only thing that makes sense to me.

I will say that my favorite "lighting money on fire" standard bet is for Broadway Brett to score. I think literally the only time it paid off was during opening night, and I also had him to get the game winner. It was a stuff-in around the net if I recall correctly. Paid pretty well.

Nonsense aside, I just don't see it with the eye test. I'm not an expert, but he doesn't do anything particularly well. His skating is average or below, he's not exactly dynamite in the faceoff circle for someone that allegedly is one of our defensive circles, his shot is pedestrian, he doesn't have great vision, he doesn't play overly physical or have a decent net-front presence, etc. I'm not sure what oodles of potential I'm missing out on here.

Maybe they didnt want another prospect to abandon ship and tried to boost that confidence before he has a mental breakdown and goes home.

No, you ask what they are saying and why they are saying it. No one here has said positive things about Howden.

Never believe something only because a few people said it. Ever.

Well that's not true. I have been very positive about Howden. I think there's definitely another level in him that will be tapped into.