Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NYR Rank 1st in Pronman's Under-22 Organizational Rankings

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect

NYR Rank 1st in Pronman's Under-22 Organizational Rankings

https://theathletic.com/2042484/2020...-york-rangers/

The Rangers have a built a very impressive collection of young talent, a group of players who I project can play important roles on a good team. And yes, Iím aware Iím writing this before the Rangers will have the first-overall pick in the 2020 NHL Draft. With the current state of the roster, farm, and draft capital, itís clear to me the Rangers have a contending window that is starting to open. That doesnít mean any guarantees about next season, but in the short-term I think this is a group that can make some noise and become a top team in the NHL.
    A few key excerpts/trends for those who do not subscribe:

On Kakko: Kakkoís rookie NHL season went through some bumps, and while he didnít put up huge numbers, I still see a lot to be optimistic about. Inside the offensive zone, Kakko showed how he could impact a game. Heís a very skilled and intelligent forward with size and power in his game. Off the flank heís able to find seams at a high rate and create a lot of offense with his playmaking. He has the stick skills to beat defenders one-on-one and make tough plays in small areas. He will run a top power-play unit very effectively at his peak. Kakkoís footspeed is average, and versus NHL forwards he wasnít able to drive the net to create offense or dangle past defenders like he did at other levels due to his inability to turn the corner. He was only 18 and with physical maturity, that aspect of his game should come even if he may never be the quickest. He also played on a very deep Rangers offense (fifth in the league in goals) so Iím not overly concerned about the lack of offense, but his speed will need to come. I still see a player who can grow into a true star.

On Howden: His hockey sense is great, showing great vision with the puck and ability to set up chances at an NHL level. Heís a smart defensive player too, and overall a player a coach can trust because of his IQ and great compete level. Howden plays hard, getting to the net, killing penalties and winning a lot of battles. His game lacks flash. Heís not that quick or that skilled a puckhandler, so I could see him just be a third-line center, but I see enough playmaking in his game to think he may have another level even if he may be a boring player when he reaches that level.

On Kravtsov: Heís a very tough evaluation case because heís very talented. Heís a big forward with elite hands who can make high-end plays through defenders or to his teammates. He projects to run an NHL power-play unit due to his vision and on his best shift Kravtsov can take over. Those best shifts are spread out though, as Kravtsovís lack of speed and physicality led to a significant adjustment period to the AHL level but he showed progress as the season went on. He needs some stability, to be able to dominate a level for a significant period of time and make the most of his tremendous skill.
    The thing Pronman keeps saying is that we've got smart players - he references Kakko's intelligence, Fox's intelligence, Lundkvist's "fantastic brain" - that's really interesting insight as to what the FO has valued in the past few drafts. They don't want pure skill - they want skilled enough and smart.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    https://theathletic.com/2042484/2020...-york-rangers/

A few key excerpts/trends for those who do not subscribe:

The thing Pronman keeps saying is that we've got smart players - he references Kakko's intelligence, Fox's intelligence, Lundkvist's "fantastic brain" - that's really interesting insight as to what the FO has valued in the past few drafts. They don't want pure skill - they want skilled enough and smart.
    Equating to a very deep team
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Moderator Bantam Division
    One thing that stuck out for me is Pronman's rating of Chytil as a "high end NHL player." He has shown short flashes of brilliance and moved up the learning curve last season, but would have said that he has not yet shown the goods for a "high-end" NHLer. Hope he's right.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Digest for nonsubscribers:

NHL Caliber
    1. Kakko
    2. Fox
    3. Chytil
    4. Lundqvist
    5. Howden
    6. Kravtsov
    7. Gauthier
    8. Miller
    9. Robertson
    10. Barron
    11. Zac Jones
    12. Lindgren

NHL Potential
    Hajek
    Rueschoff
    Andersson
    Pajuniemi
    Khodorenko
    Henrikssen
    Aaltonen
    Skinner
    Wall
    Rykov
    Kjellberg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Converted Naysayer Midget Division
    I'm so pumped to see what this team is like in 2 seasons....Just gotta get through this next season, and let the shit fall off the cracker!

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by RodrigueGabriel View Post
    One thing that stuck out for me is Pronman's rating of Chytil as a "high end NHL player." He has shown short flashes of brilliance and moved up the learning curve last season, but would have said that he has not yet shown the goods for a "high-end" NHLer. Hope he's right.

Having read far too many Pronman pieces, I think I understand where he's coming from. He values high end skill and upside more than anything. He works from a position of "if you have it in you, it's there to be mined" until it's not. And when you think about it, when Chytil is really on, he shows all the traits. He's big, I'd say he's a good skater, he's got good hands and he can score goals. It's flashes at this point, but it's there. I think I agree with him that if - and it's a pretty big if at this point - he can put it all together, he's got the raw tools to be a very good top 6 player.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Can't believe the goaie they took in the 2nd round isn't even on the list.

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Can't believe the goaie they took in the 2nd round isn't even on the list.
    Isnít he in his mid 20ís now?

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    Having read far too many Pronman pieces, I think I understand where he's coming from. He values high end skill and upside more than anything. He works from a position of "if you have it in you, it's there to be mined" until it's not. And when you think about it, when Chytil is really on, he shows all the traits. He's big, I'd say he's a good skater, he's got good hands and he can score goals. It's flashes at this point, but it's there. I think I agree with him that if - and it's a pretty big if at this point - he can put it all together, he's got the raw tools to be a very good top 6 player.
    I'm more than willing to believe. I try to think about him on a Zib-like timeline, maybe a little sooner/earlier, and if it's all true our 2C is already in-house. But my Ranger fan membership card would be in serious danger if I didn't spend at least half the time worrying, whining, and demanding certainty that cannot exist. He's got to get better at face-offs, tho.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post
    Isn’t he in his mid 20’s now?

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/...php?pid=214038

Senior Member Junior Division
    This isn't Pronman's best work. I won't complain being ranked #1, but the rankings are out of whack.

Howden at 5, K. Miller only at 8, missing Lindbom, Lindgren too low. Honestly, you could switch Lindgren with Howden and the list looks a lot more legit.

Name a more iconic duo BSBH Rookie
    This reads to me as the absolute most optimistic assessment of the Rangers' prospect pool, which is fine, but I don't know if it holds up to reality.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post
    Isn’t he in his mid 20’s now?

20? https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...1/olof-lindbom

Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    Lindbom has struggled with injuries, but I wouldn't sleep on him. Unless there's something I don't know around those injuries that make them longterm concerns, I don't think his story has been written, yet.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Pronman: "Rangers are ranked #1 in the NHL in prospects under 22"
    This board: "I can't believe they took that goalie with that 2nd round pick once"
    GORTON 2020

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Pronman: "Rangers are ranked #1 in the NHL in prospects under 22"
    This board: "I can't believe they took that goalie with that 2nd round pick once"
    Cool how you switched out "Pete" with "this board" in a really passive aggressive way to not make a personal comment. Really spectacular work and added value.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Cool how you switched out "Pete" with "this board" in a really passive aggressive way to not make a personal comment. Really spectacular work and added value.
    I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt that you're not alone since other chimed in on your comment. But if you want to own it, go ahead.
    GORTON 2020

The prince that was promised BSBH Legend
    Just FYI, players taken after Lindbom was in the second round in '18: Jack Drury, Akil Thomas, Kevin Bahl, and Filip Hallander.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt that you're not alone since other chimed in on your comment. But if you want to own it, go ahead.
    Cool. I will.

I didn't have anything to say about the list that hadn't already been said other than a goalie we drafted 2 years ago in the second round didn't make it.

That cool with you?

Name a more iconic duo BSBH Rookie
    Can we just not be dicks to each other? Jfc

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast