• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What To Do With Pick 22?

Keirik

The more I look at Domi's stats, the more it's a hard pass. He's had one good year. You're just getting a slightly younger Strome.

Need someone younger (to ensure cost control longer), or someone with a locked in number with term, for Strome+First Rounder

I'd be fine with Domi. If he was taking Lemieux's or Gauthier's spot. Not a top 6 C. And he's not looking for 3C money. No thanks.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The more I look at Domi's stats, the more it's a hard pass. He's had one good year. You're just getting a slightly younger Strome.

Need someone younger (to ensure cost control longer), or someone with a locked in number with term, for Strome+First Rounder

We all know that Strome broke out when he got here. he was a 20-30 point player. HUGE disappointment. And suddenly, with Panarin he's a star. His confidence is up and so are his stats.

I think Domi has much more potential then Strome ever had. He's two years younger, coming off a bad season and therefore less expensive, he's harder to play against, and could thrive with Panarin or Kakko or Lafrenier on his wing. Similar to the Penguins who have stated that Kapenen will play top 6, I think the Rangers can slot almost anyone into that spot next to Panarin and see big improvement in their numbers. Domi put up great numbers two seasons ago with lesser players so it's not like he's never done it before.

I see Domi as that exact player we're looking for. He checks all the boxes.

We all know that Strome broke out when he got here. he was a 20-30 point player. HUGE disappointment. And suddenly, with Panarin he's a star. His confidence is up and so are his stats.

I think Domi has much more potential then Strome ever had. He's two years younger, coming off a bad season and therefore less expensive, he's harder to play against, and could thrive with Panarin or Kakko or Lafrenier on his wing. Similar to the Penguins who have stated that Kapenen will play top 6, I think the Rangers can slot almost anyone into that spot next to Panarin and see big improvement in their numbers. Domi put up great numbers two seasons ago with lesser players so it's not like he's never done it before.

It's purely subjective to say that Domi has "much more potential than Strome ever had", I'd ask you how much you'd watched either player early in their careers or pre-draft to make that determination?

People keep saying that Domi is hard to play against, but at 5-10, 190 I'd ask how hard? Seems more like an annoying gnat than anything else.

You simply can't predict chemistry. Again, of Panarin was making everyone a superstar, then why isn't Fast a superstar?

I'm not against adding that specific player, but I wouldn't trade our 22 plus Strome for Domi.

I mean that’s a little rough. Strome did have a 50 point season prior and was a 5th overall pick. He lost his way for a bit but still. He’s a talented player.

It's purely subjective to say that Domi has "much more potential than Strome ever had", I'd ask you how much you'd watched either player early in their careers or pre-draft to make that determination?

People keep saying that Domi is hard to play against, but at 5-10, 190 I'd ask how hard? Seems more like an annoying gnat than anything else.

You simply can't predict chemistry. Again, of Panarin was making everyone a superstar, then why isn't Fast a superstar?

I'm not against adding that specific player, but I wouldn't trade our 22 plus Strome for Domi.

Would you do it if a conditional first in 2021 was attached? Or a lottery-protected 2021 first?

I don't get the Domi and Strome comparisons. Domi had a 70 point season, and outside of that he has consistently been a 45-50 point player. He just turned 25. That's not even a little bit the same track record as Strome. It's closer to Zibanejad.

I don't get the Domi and Strome comparisons. Domi had a 70 point season, and outside of that he has consistently been a 45-50 point player. He just turned 25. That's not even a little bit the same track record as Strome. It's closer to Zibanejad.

They're similar players, but Domi is clearly the more consistent of the two. I'm hesitant to say "better" because the point difference on average isn't stark (though there is a difference worthy of distinction). Domi is basically a 55-point center and Strome a 42-point center.

The problem, for me, is almost exclusively in the age (Strome 27 to Domi 25) and the reflection of that against UFA. I don't have the exact figures at hand, and I can't confirm them because I'm not a patron, but Evolving Hockey projected Strome's low end (I'd imagine a one- or two-year deal) at like $5 million and a long-term deal (basically anything eating UFA years) at $7 million AAV. The problem with this is that we have no idea if he's actaully a 65-point center now, or if he's about to be paid like one, but is still the 42-point player he's been in his career. That's an incredibly risky proposition for a rebuilding team that's basically turning the corner and looking at contention in a year or so.

To me, the only option on Strome is a one-year deal that he takes right to free agency and walks with, because really, any deal he signs is likely to have more bad years than good. We're talking about the prospect of locking up a would-be 28-year-old for multiple years at open market prices. The only thing stopping that from happening is the seldom-signed "hometown discount," that almost no one ever signs.

Long story short, I'm far more comfortable going even semi long-term with a 25-year old 55-point player than I am going the same with a 27-year old 42-point player, assuming their career averages, and not their career years, are the rule.

Would you do it if a conditional first in 2021 was attached? Or a lottery-protected 2021 first?

No...Why are we now all so enamored with Domi? Even so, I'd ask why it matters, we're not talking about trying to get Domi at any cost, we're talking about how we package #22 to address a perceived hole at 2C. I just don't see how Domi coming off a not-great year simply isn't a significant enough upgrade for more to move a first + our current 2C who's coming off a good year.

Maybe not. But I'm just talking about having one or the other. I want the other.

And yes, Domi is hard to play against. He's a bull with the puck on his stick. He goes hard to the net. He's straight-line player. Height and weight have nothing to do with being difficult to play against. Brian Boyle isn't hard to play against and he's a giant. Similarly, Brad Marchand is 5'9".

As far as potential, I don't need to know their pre-draft careers to know that Strome's NHL career offers less than Domi's. Domi is 25. He's scored 3 less points than Strome in his entire career... and Strome's career is 3 years longer than Domi's.

3 of 5 years Domi spent in PHX which had 0 talent while Strome played with some of the best players in the league in the same span.

• Like 1

They're similar players, but Domi is clearly the more consistent of the two. I'm hesitant to say "better" because the point difference on average isn't stark (though there is a difference worthy of distinction). Domi is basically a 55-point center and Strome a 42-point center.

The problem, for me, is almost exclusively in the age (Strome 27 to Domi 25) and the reflection of that against UFA. I don't have the exact figures at hand, and I can't confirm them because I'm not a patron, but Evolving Hockey projected Strome's low end (I'd imagine a one- or two-year deal) at like $5 million and a long-term deal (basically anything eating UFA years) at $7 million AAV. The problem with this is that we have no idea if he's actaully a 65-point center now, or if he's about to be paid like one, but is still the 42-point player he's been in his career. That's an incredibly risky proposition for a rebuilding team that's basically turning the corner and looking at contention in a year or so.

To me, the only option on Strome is a one-year deal that he takes right to free agency and walks with, because really, any deal he signs is likely to have more bad years than good. We're talking about the prospect of locking up a would-be 28-year-old for multiple years at open market prices. The only thing stopping that from happening is the seldom-signed "hometown discount," that almost no one ever signs.

Long story short, I'm far more comfortable going even semi long-term with a 25-year old 55-point player than I am going the same with a 27-year old 42-point player, assuming their career averages, and not their career years, are the rule.

And that's fair but why are we locking the conversation at Domi vs Strome? When did Domi become the only available option and when did he garner the value of a 1st Rounder?

Weren't we just laughing at the Pens for including their first (#15) for Kasperi Kapanen? Wouldn't Domi for Strome and #22 be equally dumb on a smaller scale trade?

Maybe not. But I'm just talking about having one or the other. I want the other.

And yes, Domi is hard to play against. He's a bull with the puck on his stick. He goes hard to the net. He's straight-line player. Height and weight have nothing to do with being difficult to play against. Brian Boyle isn't hard to play against and he's a giant. Similarly, Brad Marchand is 5'9".

As far as potential, I don't need to know their pre-draft careers to know that Strome's NHL career offers less than Domi's. Domi is 25. He's scored 3 less points than Strome in his entire career... and Strome's career is 3 years longer than Domi's.

3 of 5 years Domi spent in PHX which had 0 talent while Strome played with some of the best players in the league in the same span.

There's stuff in this post that lacks accuracy and context but I'm not really interested in analyzing it more. If you think you're going to get significantly more production from Domi than you got from Strome this year, I'd have to disagree. The only reason this trade make any sense at all is age, which again is not significant enough for me. Plus they both need new deals and I'd rather pay Strome for what he's done here than pay Domi for what he hasn't done for his previous clubs.

Flip Strome + 22 for a 22-24 year old who's under contract, not 25+ who still needs a new deal.

So 24 is the arbitrary cut off point? Seems convenient.

I'm not really sure what your hang up is. You've offered nothing about Domi that makes it seem like a bad idea, other than you personally don't like it because he's 25 instead of 24.

Domi brings an element to the team that's sorely lacking. He's also a very talented player.

Are you worried Domi's contract is going to be bigger than Strome's?

So 24 is the arbitrary cut off point? Seems convenient.
What's even the point of this comment? Pointless.

I'm not really sure what your hang up is. You've offered nothing about Domi that makes it seem like a bad idea, other than you personally don't like it because he's 25 instead of 24.
Really? Cuz I said it. He's not a significan't enough upgrade to move #22+ Strome.

Domi brings an element to the team that's sorely lacking. He's also a very talented player.
OK...You can say that about a lot of players. Why is everyone hung up on Domi?

Are you worried Domi's contract is going to be bigger than Strome's?
Already said it. I'd rather pay Strome for what he's done here than pay Domi for what he hasn't done for his previous clubs.

And that's fair but why are we locking the conversation at Domi vs Strome? When did Domi become the only available option and when did he garner the value of a 1st Rounder?

Weren't we just laughing at the Pens for including their first (#15) for Kasperi Kapanen? Wouldn't Domi for Strome and #22 be equally dumb on a smaller scale trade?

He's definitely not. I don't even remember who brought him up, but he's one of the options we know is potentially available. I think that's why there's been so much smoke here (on the board, at least).

I wouldn't do Strome + 22 for Domi straight up, for the record. You need something coming back to offset, and 47 (the Habs' second-rounder) is probably too far a fall to justify, but this is one of those situations where a genuine hockey trade, rather than the "how do we win this?" types of proposals, is logical. The Habs need to move a center (they have five NHL centers and four top-threes), want some size (Strome is 6'1, Domi is 5'9) to play in their top-6, and probably don't want to fall very far off in point production in the deal. If Strome's a 42-point player and Domi's a 55, that's not a terrible trade-off once you factor in the other pieces to balance things out.

I'm not headstrong on Domi, specifically, either. I just think there's merit to explore a deal here, though I'm certainly open to other options as well. The problem here is I'm not sure there's going to be a glut of 2Cs available that won't gut your futures to acquire if you can even acquire them at all. The only two, right now, that seem like reasonable targets are Cirelli (due to Tampa's cap) and Domi (due to the Habs' glut). Who else is even available or potentially available that isn't ancient?

No...Why are we now all so enamored with Domi? Even so, I'd ask why it matters, we're not talking about trying to get Domi at any cost, we're talking about how we package #22 to address a perceived hole at 2C. I just don't see how Domi coming off a not-great year simply isn't a significant enough upgrade for more to move a first + our current 2C who's coming off a good year.

Because it's not that simple. I'm with you on 22, but you lose me at "current 2C who's coming off a good year." That implies that our current 2C has shown consistent growth and isn't dangerously close to the wrong side of 30.

What we're really weighing here is the short- or long-term value of a 27-year-old, one-year-from-UFA center with one career year next to an MVP player against the long-term value of whomever we opt to trade for (or offer sheet) instead.

What's even the point of this comment? Pointless.

Really? Cuz I said it. He's not a significan't enough upgrade to move #22+ Strome.

OK...You can say that about a lot of players. Why is everyone hung up on Domi?

Already said it. I'd rather pay Strome for what he's done here than pay Domi for what he hasn't done for his previous clubs.

He's just the one being discussed. I don't think anyone has said he's the only option.

paying "for what he hasn't done for his previous clubs." I guess I just don't get your POV... Domi has scored more points than Strome in every season except last year. Assuming equal money, I'm confused as to why you'd rather pay the older player.

I'm just gonna ignore the 22 + Strome stuff because you're only debating yourself on that point.

Because it's not that simple. I'm with you on 22, but you lose me at "current 2C who's coming off a good year." That implies that our current 2C has shown consistent growth and isn't dangerously close to the wrong side of 30.

What we're really weighing here is the short- or long-term value of a 27-year-old, one-year-from-UFA center with one career year next to an MVP player against the long-term value of whomever we opt to trade for (or offer sheet) instead.

We're the youngest team in the NHL. It's ok to have some guys over 30. But I don't see the sense in a pretty lateral move. I don't see rolling the dice on Domi being a significant improvement over Strome on the scoresheet or payroll next season. I'd rather just keep Strome for another year and trade him as a UFA.

He's just the one being discussed. I don't think anyone has said he's the only option.

paying "for what he hasn't done for his previous clubs." I guess I just don't get your POV... Domi has scored more points than Strome in every season except last year. Assuming equal money, I'm confused as to why you'd rather pay the older player.

I'm just gonna ignore the 22 + Strome stuff because you're only debating yourself on that point.

Because I'd rather pay the Devil you know. We don't need to get younger.