• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Fast, Rangers Mutually Interested in New Contract

Phil

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it does indicate that the initial negotiations did not yield anything. Let him sift through offers before deciding to take a discount with the Rangers.

They recently changed the rules to allow UFAs to negotiate with other teams before Free Agency officially opens right? Maybe your right, and he'd like to get a hint of whats available before seeing if its worth it to stay for cheaper.

although even before those rule changes it probably happened all the time.

• 3 weeks later...
Probably 4 and 3.25 respectively. He should get 4 on the open market (thinking the Hagelin deal or so).

Agreed.

4 years in term is perfect. Takes him through his age 32 season. That’s probably the remaining amount of his good hockey.

Anymore than 3.25 is too much, and ideally if they can keep it at 3 that’s perfect. That’s still a 1.15 million dollar raise on his current salary

I would offer 2.5M for 4 years as a starting point.

That’s fine.

But as long as they realize they’ll have to go up from there.

They need to be careful with that. Negotiating tactics are always employed, but there’s a limit to that when you’re doing it to one of your own that you’ve identified as one of “your guys.”

You can take it too far and cause a breakdown.

https://nypost.com/2020/10/02/rebuilding-rangers-still-have-work-to-do-not-even-close/?utm_campaign=iphone_nyp&utm_source=pasteboard_app

?Gorton talked around the Fast situation, but The Post has learned that there has not been a single conversation between the team and Kurt Overhardt, the winger?s agent, since extension talks broke down leading into the deadline. So, one wouldn?t expect an offer at this late date, especially since the Rangers are being careful to leave a bumper to protect them against entry level bonus charges against the cap.?

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Honestly, that's fine. Do we really need to spend 3-4 million on a 3rd/4th liner?

Again, he's one of those small players that doesn't play a physical game at all. He only put up 29 points playing with Panarin almost all year long.

We've been harping on our bottom 6 being terrible last year for how long now? We should have some incentive to keep him. Last year aside, since he was used in the top 6 out of necessity, he has been our best bottom 6 player for the last 5 years. Our bottom 6 was so piss poor partially because we couldn't play Fast in it.

We've been harping on our bottom 6 being terrible last year for how long now? We should have some incentive to keep him. Last year aside, since he was used in the top 6 out of necessity, he has been our best bottom 6 player for the last 5 years. Our bottom 6 was so piss poor partially because we couldn't play Fast in it.

In the top 6, he's not good. In the bottom 6, he's a replacement level. That's how I see it. Someone mentioned him getting 4 million a year on the open market, I think that's a horrendous waste of cap space. Unfortunately the things he does well can be found elsewhere for cheaper.

In the top 6, he's not good. In the bottom 6, he's a replacement level. That's how I see it. Someone mentioned him getting 4 million a year on the open market, I think that's a horrendous waste of cap space. Unfortunately the things he does well can be found elsewhere for cheaper.

Replacement level =\= Replaceable. Replacement level implies you can fill anyone in and they’ll do an equal job. I’m sorry but there’s nothing about Fast’s game that leads be to believe that. Statistics paint him as an incredibly strong defensive contributor not replacement level. If you want to say he’s replaceable because you think he’s too expensive for his role? Fine. I’ll buy that. Can anyone do his job? No. Because he’s really good at his job. It’s not Fast’s fault he played up in the top six.

• Like 1

If they don't sign Fast do they have any wingers to kill penalties?

Zibs and Howden are the only 2 penalty killers I can think of off the top of my head.

Grabner's about to be bought out, and there's a few others out on the market that could be decent fits there.

Either that, or you throw the big guns out there and powerkill it.

Go Get Grabs!

I’d be cautious about Grabs at this point.

About to turn 33. Speed could be starting to go anytime now.

They’d have to be sure on his medical too. He’s missed a lot of time last 2 seasons with some injuries.

Worth a look and some consideration, but tread carefully.

They’d have to be sure on his medical too. He’s missed a lot of time last 2 seasons with some injuries.

He'd still be faster than most players on the 3rd/4th line....Defensively responsible.

Replacement level =\= Replaceable. Replacement level implies you can fill anyone in and they’ll do an equal job. I’m sorry but there’s nothing about Fast’s game that leads be to believe that. Statistics paint him as an incredibly strong defensive contributor not replacement level. If you want to say he’s replaceable because you think he’s too expensive for his role? Fine. I’ll buy that. Can anyone do his job? No. Because he’s really good at his job. It’s not Fast’s fault he played up in the top six.

Agree with this. Its not about the points factor with Fast, its the fact that he is one of the best defensive forwards in the league, and is a guy in a game time emergency can be slotted up in the lineup. Honestly, if he can play his defensive game on the third line and contribute 30 or so points. that a plus in my book. Teams need 4 solid lines, and this team is still pretty far from that, so Fast playing there would help out that situation.

As for Grabner, I wouldn't mind a 1 year deal at $1M for him. Its a low risk move.

• Like 1

To be fair, one of those injuries was a freak eye injury. Grabner still has wheels and is capable. I'd bring him back on a one or two year deal on the cheap. He's not going to cost much at all.