• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Jacques Martin Joins Rangers Coaching Staff

Phil

That's an interesting take, given that Gauthier, who isn't even assured of a roster spot, is the only real French Canadian on the team now. I don't know how much Brendan Lemieux identifies with French Canada. He's an American citizen, spent most of his youth in the U.S., played juniors in Ontario, and his mother is from North Carolina.

That's an interesting take, given that Gauthier, who isn't even assured of a roster spot, is the only real French Canadian on the team now. I don't know how much Brendan Lemieux identifies with French Canada. He's an American citizen, spent most of his youth in the U.S., played juniors in Ontario, and his mother is from North Carolina.

At the least I think it’s further evidence we have no intention of drafting anyone else number 1

A 1LD and 2C are near the top of the Rangers' needs list, but a coach who can instill a fundamental defensive structure that's better than the sum of its parts — something Jacques Martin has done in the past — was arguably even more important.

If you need a case example, just look at what Barry Trotz has done for the New York Islanders — a team who's top pairing is Adam Pelech and Ryan Pulock. The value of buy-in into a team system is immeasurable. No amount of offense can compensate IMO.

The penalty-kill is about to see a major improvement, too.

His French Canadian heritage is irrelevant. He's got a history of instilling defensive systems that are better than the sum of their parts. That's why they need him. They haven't had a good defensive coach since Ulf.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Well I don’t know, I can see it being a small part of the fit as well

Sure -- call it the cherry on the "teach them how to defend," cake.

And that’s more so what I meant. It’s a win win in that category and one that I’d say would have crossed their mind with Kakko early struggles without a familiar voice I guess. A bit different since ALF is still in NA but u get the gist

A 1LD and 2C are near the top of the Rangers' needs list, but a coach who can instill a fundamental defensive structure that's better than the sum of its parts — something Jacques Martin has done in the past — was arguably even more important.

If you need a case example, just look at what Barry Trotz has done for the New York Islanders — a team who's top pairing is Adam Pelech and Ryan Pulock. The value of buy-in into a team system is immeasurable. No amount of offense can compensate IMO.

The penalty-kill is about to see a major improvement, too.

Pulock was a 15th overall pick. But yes, you don't have to have some big names, big contracts to play solid shut down defense. Which is why I want to get rid of Trouba the big name contract that is prone to terrible defensive mistakes.

And that?s more so what I meant. It?s a win win in that category and one that I?d say would have crossed their mind with Kakko early struggles without a familiar voice I guess. A bit different since ALF is still in NA but u get the gist

I mean, Laffy, by all accounts, speaks great English. But I guess it can't hurt.

Now go get Brodin to pair with Trouba.

Would be a solid option, but probably costly relative to free agency, which may see an influx of would-have-been RFA talent who won't be qualified due to cap crunch concerns. I'm not saying no to Brodin, by any means, but I am saying "wait until we know what else is available."