• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Ron Duguay Weighs in on the NHL, Race Relations

What's so controversial about what he said, I tend to agree with him. There's plenty of chirping about sexual preference, or was, anyways, but racial stuff isn't nearly as prevalent. There's been some ugly stuff I'm sure, but in my mind it's more fan related.

Theo Peckham could tell you some good stories about shit like that, but it's all fan related.

If you want to see racial strife in sport, go watch soccer.

My guess is that the fan interactions are far more likely to produce incidents of racism than what occurs on the ice, but that's just inkling speaking and it's, no doubt, supremely influenced by the treatment of players like PK Subban (Cough*Boston fans*cough), the banana-throwing incident with Simmonds, etc.

My guess is that the fan interactions are far more likely to produce incidents of racism than what occurs on the ice, but that's just inkling speaking and it's, no doubt, supremely influenced by the treatment of players like PK Subban (Cough*Boston fans*cough), the banana-throwing incident with Simmonds, etc.
In a year with the Bill Peters incident, it's hard to say that it's mostly fan related.

I mean, I played hockey. You probably did too. How many black kids were on your team? Zero? How many black kids did you play against? Close to zero probably. I know for SURE racist jokes were at the top of the joke pile in many of the rooms I was in. And I know for sure if we did play against someone they had a target on their back.

Hockey is the whitest major sport in the world. It's not just fans who are racist. It starts early.

That's part of the reason the NHL completely acted like nothing was going on while every other league did. They're 99% white. They're sheltered and oblivious.

I mean, I played hockey. You probably did too. How many black kids were on your team? Zero? How many black kids did you play against? Close to zero probably. I know for SURE racist jokes were at the top of the joke pile in many of the rooms I was in. And I know for sure if we did play against someone they had a target on their back.

Hockey is the whitest major sport in the world. It's not just fans who are racist. It starts early.

That's part of the reason the NHL completely acted like nothing was going on while every other league did. They're 99% white. They're sheltered and oblivious.

Correct. Through high school. Gave it up when I went to college but for one summer roller league. Zero black kids. I'm not even sure my HS teams had a single non-white player.

Hockey and golf are predominantly white sports because of the amount of money it costs to play. That doesn’t make the sport or everyone involved in it a racist. It’s just facts. Unless you’re playing club travel for baseball, football, and basketball, they all cost next to nothing to play. Also, it’s a zillion times easier to get into those sports as a kid at a young age outside playing with your friends. Any park or field is free to play on. If you have 2-10 kids on the playground, you need 1 basketball. If you have 6-? kids, you need 1 football. Baseball you only need a glove, everyone can use the same bat. Now round up 6,8,12 kids to play hockey recreationally. Who’s paying for the ice? Lets start there.
  • Like 1