• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

NHL Players Being Told to Prepare for Cancellations Tonight

Phil

Totally. They're essentially backed in to a corner.

Pretty much this. Hate seeing sports mixed with politics. But if they don't do it, the snowflakes on the social media universe will erupt and the NHL doesn't need that bad publicity.

The "victim" in Kenosha had a long rap sheet and had a warrant out for his arrest for sexual assault. He resisted arrest, and is on video wrestling with police. He broke free and tried to get in his car. The police can be heard yelling "drop the knife". He reaches for something in the car and is shot in the back. A knife is found on the floor of the car. Why can't anyone wait until facts become clear before being outraged and prompting riots? Woke sports leagues passing judgment by cancelling are part of this.

What should they have done, let him drive off and endanger the public in a chase? They already tried non lethal means of arresting him, wrestling him to the ground, but he got away.

I mean, I'm not an expert, but it seems reasonable to think there were other avenues to explore than shooting the guy 7 times in the back. There's a full squad of armed police on the scene. I'm not really sure what he's meant to do with that knife. That knife is of no danger to them as long as they keep their distance, and have him at gunpoint. I understand that this particular case has aspects that separates it from other cases, but I guess the problem with this one is that

a) it comes at the heel of everything else and

b) it's another example where police aren't really going out of their way to avoid shooting a black person

c) it's another example of what appears to be unnecessary force

In any case, I'm not usually a fan of mixing sports and politics, but in this case it's an all encompassing issue that involves everyone. I don't think professional sports can just go merrily along and pretend it isn't happening. And because the NHL and hockey is such a predominantly white sport I think it's particularly important that they use their voice in this matter.

Now, to preempt, this is just my opinion. I'm not saying anyone else is wrong.

It was the woman's car and had three kids in it. Let this guy who resisted arrest, would not be subdued with a taser, and had a knife drive off with three children? "Explore other options?" That is symbolic of the tendency to treat split second decisions as if they had an hour to figure out what to do. The statistics don't indicate that blacks who resist arrest get handled worse than whites who do. Cases involving the latter are not reported. In any event, whether you think it was ideal policing, given all of the circumstances, which the authorities did not quickly disclose, it is not grounds to riot or close sports leagues.
  • Like 2

It was the woman's car and had three kids in it. Let this guy who resisted arrest, would not be subdued with a taser, and had a knife drive off with three children? "Explore other options?" That is symbolic of the tendency to treat split second decisions as if they had an hour to figure out what to do. The statistics don't indicate that blacks who resist arrest get handled worse than whites who do. Cases involving the latter are not reported. In any event, whether you think it was ideal policing, given all of the circumstances, which the authorities did not quickly disclose, it is not grounds to riot or close sports leagues.

"Technically ", we're only supposed to see this as a black man was shot in the back in front of his kids. Nothing else matters.

To those people, drive your car over , with the kids in the back, and ill find a dude with sexual assault charges against your wife, and a knife, that just fought police officers, and he can take off with them.

• Like 1

"Technically ", we're only supposed to see this as a black man was shot in the back in front of his kids. Nothing else matters.

To those people, drive your car over , with the kids in the back, and ill find a dude with sexual assault charges against your wife, and a knife, that just fought police officers, and he can take off with them.

No, we are not supposed to see it as just a black man was shot. We are supposed to see it as a black man was shot by a white officer because the officer hates blacks.

• Like 1

What happened to AV in these pressers was ridiculous. Press makes an issue over questioning him on a news story that has nothing to do with hockey, and a hockey coach has to apologize for focusing on hockey and wanting to talk about hockey.

The media sucks.

Isn't it a bit hard to play the oppressed and underprivileged angle if you grew up more well off and privileged than most?
What do you mean play an angle? Who is playing an angle? Who said anything about being underprivileged? Do you think wealthy black folks don't face racism?