• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Mercogliano: Will Jesper Fast be a Casualty of the Flat Cap?

Phil

"Shift in and shift out, we probably don?t have a more consistent player," Rangers coach David Quinn said of Fast in February. "He just plays hard, and he?s got enough skill to complement people that do have skill. There?s such an honesty to his game, and it certainly is infectious throughout our lineup. He?s an important piece to the puzzle here."

The success of the Panarin-Strome-Fast line convinced the Rangers not to trade Fast at the trade deadline, but now he'll enter unrestricted free agency for the first time.

He played the last three seasons on an affordable three-year, $5.5 million deal. And while it won't break the bank for the Rangers to keep their 2010 sixth-round pick, it could be a difficult task given the flat salary cap and a group of key restricted free agents.

But Quinn repeatedly talked about the Rangers needing to create havoc in front of the opponent's net, win 50-50 puck battles and play an overall "harder" brand of hockey. Fast is one of the few players on the team who does well with those workmanlike tasks.

He's relentless in all three zones, which is how he became the first Ranger to ever win the Players' Player award in five straight seasons. He's enormously respected by his teammates and lauded by Quinn ? a shining lead-by-example presence for the Rangers' youth. And he takes extra pride in his defense, bringing a mix of hustle, physicality and smarts.

The biggest hurdle is the salary cap crunch.

Based on my calculations ? with some help from CapFriendly ? the Rangers will have roughly $12.5 million to spend on the final three-to-six spots on their roster. And with restricted free agents such as Strome, Tony DeAngelo and Brendan Lemieux all due for raises, a UFA like Fast could get squeezed out.

Evolving Hockey projects a three-year deal for Fast would cost an average annual value of just under $3 million, which is reasonable. But the likely cost of retaining Strome, DeAngelo and Lemieux would push them right around ? or even above ? that $12.5 million marker.

Unless one of them is traded, or the Rangers make another move to clear cap space, they won't have the room to fit Fast.

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2020/08/25/ny-rangers-free-agents-jesper-fast-flat-cap-casualty/5626779002/

Fast v. Strome appears to be how this question is shaping up. If ADA goes before either of them then the problem is solved (presuming we make a $mart move in return) and also solved if Lemieux is the short-term casualty. Do I think Fast is replaceable for less? Yes, certainly but will we find that player quickly to fill that hole? Damn that CAP. Add another 15-cents to everyone's cable bill and raise the CAP.

Fast v. Strome appears to be how this question is shaping up. If ADA goes before either of them then the problem is solved (presuming we make a $mart move in return) and also solved if Lemieux is the short-term casualty. Do I think Fast is replaceable for less? Yes, certainly but will we find that player quickly to fill that hole? Damn that CAP. Add another 15-cents to everyone's cable bill and raise the CAP.

If we sacrifice Lemieux and replace him with an ELC, the savings are probably pretty minimal. Probably no more than $500k at the most. But if it came down to shaving pennies to keep Fast, see ya later Lemmy!

I may be in the minority here, but I think we can move forward from Fast. He played well for us, but I think we can do better, cheaper and younger with more promise and upside. Fast was a very responsible player, but his offensive ability to me was a liability. Again, I accept that he's a very well liked player here, and I give him his props. He's played through a lot of injuries this season and last, and I think it's taken its toll on him.

It may be time to let this ship sail, and move on.

I'm not trying to resign Fast.

He's fine. But he's replaceable. We have some big time decisions coming in a few years, no need to have millions tied up in Fast who should really be a 3rd or 4th line player next year.

I understand why you feel that way, but he's also a guy where 6 weeks into the season you're saying "Wish we had Fast".

Guys like Gauhtier and DiGi might be able to play on lower lines, but it's not like they're going to move up and not hurt you. They'll move up and you'll see a significant gap on the line they're on. He's also a big PK presence, at his some form of continuity and veteran leadership on a real young team.

In my mind you have to try and keep him with a modest raise.

I'm not trying to resign Fast.

He's fine. But he's replaceable. We have some big time decisions coming in a few years, no need to have millions tied up in Fast who should really be a 3rd or 4th line player next year.

I think he?s actually harder to replace than you would think. Especially the whole package. A 3rd liner that can move up in the lineup without trouble, great PK?er and loved by everyone in the org. If you think its just to sign a free-agent on a minimum deal to replace him, you?re wrong.

Fast is also a guy you easily can move for a 6th round pick(or whatever) if they ever need his cap space. A lot of teams would take a guy like Fast on a 2-3 year contract for 2-3m AAV.

Fast is our only legit proven bottom 6 player atm. We should be able to make room for his 2-3m AAV.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Has there ever been an irreplaceable bottom 6 forward?
When the bottom six forward sometimes needs to slot into your top six and not hurt you, is the lead penalty killer on your team, and a veteran in a room of youngsters, I'd say the answer is yes.

It's funny how we all say you can't win in the playoffs without depth, but we think all of our depth players are expendable.

Has there ever been an irreplaceable bottom 6 forward?

We still havent had a good 4th line since Boyle and Moore left, so yes.

And as Pete said, everyone keeps talking about how important ?good depth? is, but we want to throw away our best bottom 6 player?

Who?s PK?ing next season? Our 5 best wingers cant PK (kreider, buch, panarin, Kakko, Lafreniere), neither can Chytil.

Unless Fast asks for too much I dont see any reason to not re-sign him. We would have to replace him anyway, so whats the point? We know what we get in Fast and everyone loves him.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Evolving Wild's projection (basically the Robbi Fabbri contract — 2.95 x 2) is more than reasonable. At that kind of rate, I can't think of any reason to not keep Fast, even if it means losing below replacement level players like Lemieux. In fact, the team would be better by moving on from Lemieux and simply giving his money to Fast, who can actually play hockey, anywhere in your lineup, with very little drawbacks but for when he's in an extended top-six role.

His defensive game is a bit overrated, the first goal against Carolina was his missed coverage.

Captain, Sir. I have resisted commenting on your impertinence until, but you go too far. Please, he was a bit slow to pick up his man seconds after getting concussed, and he did not play for the rest of the series. You know all of this, so it appears you are just trolling and looking for reactions, so I won't bother reacting to your comments further.

Captain, Sir. I have resisted commenting on your impertinence until, but you go too far. Please, he was a bit slow to pick up his man seconds after getting concussed, and he did not play for the rest of the series. You know all of this, so it appears you are just trolling and looking for reactions, so I won't bother reacting to your comments further.

I thought from this replay

that the goal happened before the hit, my mistake.

Evolving Wild's projection (basically the Robbi Fabbri contract ? 2.95 x 2) is more than reasonable. At that kind of rate, I can't think of any reason to not keep Fast, even if it means losing below replacement level players like Lemieux. In fact, the team would be better by moving on from Lemieux and simply giving his money to Fast, who can actually play hockey, anywhere in your lineup, with very little drawbacks but for when he's in an extended top-six role.

Was Fabbri a UFA?

I thought from this replay
that the goal happened before the hit, my mistake.

Thank you for the correction. The fact that Fast even got back in the play is a tribute to the kind of player he is. On a team that looks top heavy, Fast is one of the few good foot soldiers that we have. Soldiers like that are not that easy to come by. If we are unable to sign him, as unfortunately looks pretty likely, there will be a long list of suitors. The qualities that have made him the perennial players' player are not lost on the GMs of the league, even if they are lost on some posters.

Evolving Wild's projection (basically the Robbi Fabbri contract ? 2.95 x 2) is more than reasonable. At that kind of rate, I can't think of any reason to not keep Fast, even if it means losing below replacement level players like Lemieux. In fact, the team would be better by moving on from Lemieux and simply giving his money to Fast, who can actually play hockey, anywhere in your lineup, with very little drawbacks but for when he's in an extended top-six role.

Exactly.

If there's a problem with Fast it's with his deployment, not the player.

I mean, it's pretty difficult to think about a significantly better player to plug into your bottom 6, who kills penalties, is a great locker room guy and can slide up in a pinch. Most people are in agreement that the Rangers need to fix their bottom 6, and with that in mind re signing Fast to a reasonable deal seems like a complete no brainer. I think the reason so many are perfectly fine with him leaving is primarily because he's been over used in the top 6 by consecutive coaches. That shouldn't be a problem going forward, with Lafreniere on the team and Kakko being a year older.