• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Mercogliano: A Complicated Case for Tony DeAngelo

Phil

The offensive numbers speak for themselves.

DeAngelo's 12.8 offensive rating ranked fourth among all defensemen, according to Evolving Hockey.

If that's the kind of production the Rangers can expect in the years to come, they have a unique talent on their hands.

DeAngelo's strength is his playmaking ability. Rangers coach David Quinn referred to it as "world-class skill."

Those are the primary reasons to keep DeAngelo, but there's also no immediate replacement in the organization.

Their top right-handed defenseman prospect is Nils Lundkvist, but he just turned 20 and has signed to play one more season in the Swedish Hockey League. After that, they're thin on NHL-ready prospects who shoot right-handed.

As far as the 2020-21 season goes, the Rangers would have a big void to fill without DeAngelo.

He's by far the most active Ranger on Twitter and hasn't been shy about engaging in politics or vocalizing his support of President Trump. That's made him a polarizing figure with the fan base — and he's been willing to snap back at those who criticize him. Last week, he deleted a series of tweets in which a back-and-forth with a fan escalated to threats of an in-person confrontation.

It's one thing for DeAngelo to express his opinions and build his brand, which has led to him launching the "Watch Your Tone" podcast this summer. The organization can't muzzle freedom of speech — and he told me during the season that they hadn't taken issue with his social media activity.

"You can definitely say whatever you want," he said in November. "It’s just if you choose to."

But, whether it was facetious or not, it's another thing to challenge a fan to an altercation.

The Rangers took notice — and I'd also bet his agent did. It was an ill-advised decision, particularly at the onset of the biggest contract negotiation of his career, which may explain why he hasn't tweeted since Wednesday.

Evolving Hockey's contract projection model, which predicts a player's future contract based on age, what players with similar production have received and a variety of other factors, projects five years at an average annual value of $5.7 million. The projection drops to an AAV of $4.267 million for a two-year contract.

That AAV range seems right, with the ideal fit for the Rangers being a two-year bridge deal. That's significant raise for DeAngelo and a chance to build on his big season, while also allowing the Rangers time to sort out their long-term depth on defense.

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2020/08/24/ny-rangers-free-agents-complicated-case-tony-deangelo/3425327001/

I like the two year bridge idea. It gives us some time to sort out our very young defense and evaluate our long term cap issues. Over the past two years, we have seen his passion go from a net negative to a net positive. ADA's expressions, engagement and evident moxy were some of the things I enjoyed the most watching a game from near the glass. When Tony is having fun, he is really effective. All that said, he remains a candidate for the right return were it to be offered to us.

I know there have been no real signs pointing to this happening but I really hope he and the coaching staff start working on moving him over to the left side. Defense can be taught. With his offensive abilities he doesn't even need to be an outstanding defender, just serviceable. I would hate to get rid of him and then he explodes as a star.

I like the two year bridge idea. It gives us some time to sort out our very young defense and evaluate our long term cap issues. Over the past two years, we have seen his passion go from a net negative to a net positive. ADA's expressions, engagement and evident moxy were some of the things I enjoyed the most watching a game from near the glass. When Tony is having fun, he is really effective. All that said, he remains a candidate for the right return were it to be offered to us.

The two-year deal makes the most sense because they can pay him a moderate raise now and then let him walk in free agency when he wants to punch the big-ticket.

This is similar to the Hank situation in that the decision has already been made. With Trouba and Fox in front of him and young guys coming there is no way the Rangers can give any term to TonyD. His offense is unique and I have no problem with the social media stuff, but I can’t see spending big money for him. Trouba and Fox can step up on the PP.

This is similar to the Hank situation in that the decision has already been made. With Trouba and Fox in front of him and young guys coming there is no way the Rangers can give any term to TonyD. His offense is unique and I have no problem with the social media stuff, but I can’t see spending big money for him. Trouba and Fox can step up on the PP.

Agree with this. Trouba already signed long-term, Fox looking like a top-4 D and we got the best RHD prospect outside of the NHL atm in Lundkvist. I cant see them signing ADA long-term.

I know there have been no real signs pointing to this happening but I really hope he and the coaching staff start working on moving him over to the left side. Defense can be taught. With his offensive abilities he doesn't even need to be an outstanding defender, just serviceable. I would hate to get rid of him and then he explodes as a star.

My question regarding this is where does he fit in on the left?

I don't think pairing him with Trouba is ideal given the defensive assignments he has to eat. In many ways he's a perfect 2nd pair guy but, whilst not being certain, my gut feeling is that partnering him with Fox isn't ideal for either player.

I think the AdA conundrum is a really tough one. He's obviously a dynamic offensive d, and they don't grow on trees. At the same time, he isn't really a natural fit in the lineup the way the roster is currently constructed. More than anything, he is a valuable trade asset that could potentially bring back a bonafide 2c. Personally, I'm leaning towards this team being better off with a solid 2c and a steady eddie type on the third pair. At the same time I'm worried about letting AdA go. I don't envy Gorton having to make that call.

I don't think pairing him with Trouba is ideal given the defensive assignments he has to eat. In many ways he's a perfect 2nd pair guy but, whilst not being certain, my gut feeling is that partnering him with Fox isn't ideal for either player.

I think the AdA conundrum is a really tough one. He's obviously a dynamic offensive d, and they don't grow on trees. At the same time, he isn't really a natural fit in the lineup the way the roster is currently constructed. More than anything, he is a valuable trade asset that could potentially bring back a bonafide 2c. Personally, I'm leaning towards this team being better off with a solid 2c and a steady eddie type on the third pair. At the same time I'm worried about letting AdA go. I don't envy Gorton having to make that call.

Maybe Lindgren is the guy you put with Trouba for now. DeAngelo with Fox on the 2nd pair.

3rd pair Miller-Lundkvist beginning 2021.

I tend to agree with you Gravy on this point...as well as a few others, but I think our target on being a serious contender may fall outside a 2 year bridge contract, so why not cut to the chase and get something for him while he is that valuable. A 2C fits the bill perfectly right now and going forward. Add in a steady freddie D man, and we're going to be a really tough out sooner than later.

His offense is superb, and I could give a rats ass about what he does or says off the ice and on social media. My main concern is his defensive skills. They are terrible. He seems flat footed in his own zone, and gets beaten way too much. If they can get a decent deal done, I wouldn't mind, but I hope they done overspend on a defensive liability.

Maybe Lindgren is the guy you put with Trouba for now. DeAngelo with Fox on the 2nd pair.

3rd pair Miller-Lundkvist beginning 2021.

Yeah, but like I said I’m really not convinced they’re a good fit together. I feel like both of them would be better off with a more defensive minded partner. I dunno, could be great as well I suppose.

Agree that I have no problem if he was dealt to get us a legit 2C.

His offense is superb, and I could give a rats ass about what he does or says off the ice and on social media. My main concern is his defensive skills. They are terrible. He seems flat footed in his own zone, and gets beaten way too much. If they can get a decent deal done, I wouldn't mind, but I hope they done overspend on a defensive liability.

I don't think it's much to worry about, Dru...ADA is a player that is the epitome of "dealing from a strength" in my opinion. I'm pretty sure we're not the only ones seeing ADA has some severe issues with his defensive skills...I'm gonna put my trust in Gorts and also JD to do the right thing with him. But I think the time to deal him is this year...his offensive stats are very marketable! :thumbs:

puck movers: Fox, DeAngelo, Lundkvist

Stay at home defenders: Miller, Trouba, Lindgren

I prefer to match 1 and 1.

Lindgren - Fox

DeAngelo - Trouba

Miller - Lundkvist

All last summer I stressed trying DeAngelo on the left, before he gets paid.

• Like 1

Yeah, but like I said I’m really not convinced they’re a good fit together. I feel like both of them would be better off with a more defensive minded partner. I dunno, could be great as well I suppose.

Even though both might be labeled puck movers and offensive minded, I think there's a couple significant differences in their game that complement each other rather than being too much of the same thing.

For one, I think Fox is pretty sound defensively. I believe him to be a lot more calm with the puck than DeAngelo, which is especially good for maintaining possession in the DZ and not turning it over. Once it's on Fox's stick I am very confident it's going to find it's way out of the zone. He doesn't generally panic. He knows when to hold it and take his time and he knows when to play it quickly when needed.

On the other hand, I think DeAngelo is much more dynamic with the puck from the NZ to the OZ. He likes to push up into the OZ a lot more than Fox, and he has a much better shot and nose for the net. He likes to put himself in a position where he can score.

I think Fox's defensive positioning and superior outlet game meshes very well with DeAngelo's ability to jump up and join the rush.

Hmm, not sure about that. I believe de Angelo is one of the better zone breakout players in the league statistically. Although I could be wrong on that one. I do know he’s a breakout machine though.

I mean, if it works it could be absolutely dynamic. My main worry is Fox having to curtail his offensive instincts if he’s paired with Tony.

Hmm, not sure about that. I believe de Angelo is one of the better zone breakout players in the league statistically. Although I could be wrong on that one. I do know he’s a breakout machine though.

I mean, if it works it could be absolutely dynamic. My main worry is Fox having to curtail his offensive instincts if he’s paired with Tony.

Agree. ADA is magic with the puck. Without it, he's a true disaster with an inability to make reads and be in the right position. He's constantly chasing the play.

Otherwise, he's great.

Agree. ADA is magic with the puck. Without it, he's a true disaster with an inability to make reads and be in the right position. He's constantly chasing the play.

Otherwise, he's great.

I wonder if moving him to the opposite side would help. Sometimes in a new position, players are a bit more conservative, which defensively, couldnt hurt his game.