• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Mercogliano: The Curious Case of Brett Howden

Phil

Howden seems to be part of the NHL right now because he was part of a big trade and his retooling team wants him desperately to succeed somehow. He didn't earned the job at a lower level, never played for Hartford down in the AHL despite his shortcomings and bad stats.

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea what you're talking about. No one said anything about if Howden is good or bad. That actually has nothing at all to do with the specific point I made to Josh which is if you are in the NHL, you had to have some success at lower level and therefore you can "play hockey". Playing it well is an entirely different discussion.

But you bring up a point, almost every team has these players.

I misunderstood, my mistake. For the record, I understand and can appreciate why Howden has been given more rope than his play would justify. I just think we're approaching a point in his trajectory in which he needs to do something with it to continue to benefit from his work ethic.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I misunderstood, my mistake. For the record, I understand and can appreciate why Howden has been given more rope than his play would justify. I just think we're approaching a point in his trajectory in which he needs to do something with it to continue to benefit from his work ethic.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I hear you, but it's not like he's keeping anyone else who's worth a damn from a spot.

I hear you, but it's not like he's keeping anyone else who's worth a damn from a spot.

We dont know that.

Not to mention his effect on his linemates. Anyone that played on his line went there to die.

This "he's in the NHL" as his top accolade still doesnt talk about his game. No one mentions energy, hitting, defense, faceoffs, physical play, positioning, passing, potential, size, etc etc. That's an issue.

We dont know that.

Not to mention his effect on his linemates. Anyone that played on his line went there to die.

This "he's in the NHL" as his top accolade still doesnt talk about his game. No one mentions energy, hitting, defense, faceoffs, physical play, positioning, passing, potential, size, etc etc. That's an issue.

We do know that. Who's he blocking?

Howden seems to be part of the NHL right now because he was part of a big trade and his retooling team wants him desperately to succeed somehow. He didn't earned the job at a lower level, never played for Hartford down in the AHL despite his shortcomings and bad stats.

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I don't think that's necessarily the case. Hajek was touted as the big piece in that trade, and he has been afforded nowhere near the same leeway.

I don't think that's necessarily the case. Hajek was touted as the big piece in that trade, and he has been afforded nowhere near the same leeway.
Hajek got promoted to the NHL squad despite of worrying underwhelming numbers down in the AHL and played first pairing minutes alongside Jacob Trouba. Without his injuries and the existence of Marc Staal he probably would be Howden 2.0 on the blueline.

Hajek got promoted to the NHL squad despite of worrying underwhelming numbers down in the AHL and played first pairing minutes alongside Jacob Trouba. Without his injuries and the existence of Marc Staal he probably would be Howden 2.0 on the blueline.

He was called up for a 5 game cup of coffee when the season was over. He got some time this year due to injuries iirc.

In any case, he has played 81 AHL games over the last two seasons whilst Howden has played 0. Injuries have been a factor, yes, but they're hardly getting a similar treatment.

He was called up for a 5 game cup of coffee when the season was over. He got some time this year due to injuries iirc.

In any case, he has played 81 AHL games over the last two seasons whilst Howden has played 0. Injuries have been a factor, yes, but they're hardly getting a similar treatment.

Defense is a more responsible position. If Hajek was a forward he probably would barely get any AHL games.

He had five points (all assists) in 58 games for Hartford last season and was a -26. He struggled for a majority of the season, not performing up to the high expectations. His first five NHL games were solid but he didn't earned the call up because of good performances at a lower level.

He had five points (all assists) in 58 games for Hartford last season and was a -26. He struggled for a majority of the season, not performing up to the high expectations. His first five NHL games were solid but he didn't earned the call up because of good performances at a lower level.

I don’t see how that’s relevant to the discussion. He’s clearly not been given anywhere near the leeway they’ve given Howden, so the idea that the main reason Howden is playing is because he was part of the McD trade seems far fetched.

Can't compare both positions. There are twelve possible spots for a Center/Winger but only three for a LD. I still believe that both players all in all got more ice-time in the NHL than they deserve because of the specific trade history. If we e.g. had given Ryan Graves, who had far better numbers at Hartford than Hajek, the same chances in the NHL he maybe would still be a Ranger.

Can't compare both positions. There are twelve possible spots for a Center/Winger but only three for a LD. I still believe that both players all in all got more ice-time in the NHL than they deserve because of the specific trade history. If we e.g. had given Ryan Graves, who had far better numbers at Hartford than Hajek, the same chances in the NHL he maybe would still be a Ranger.

I don’t disagree it’s “a” factor.

I disagree with your initial point that it’s the determining factor.

It’s true the positions are different, but Hajek was the piece they talked up after the trade, the one they demanded was included, the one that convinced them to include Miller in the deal.

So, again, if being part of that trade was a determining factor in ice time awarded it stands to reason you’d have seen a lot more of Hajek.

For clarity, I believe the main reason he’s being massively over used is because they’re in love with his character and intangibles.

• 3 weeks later...