• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Possible Trade Candidates for Center Help

RangersIn7

With them now owning the number 1 pick, and that pick most likely being LW Alexis LaFreniere, unclear status of Ryan Strome in a long-term plan, the Rangers need help down the middle.

Zibanejad has clearly established himself as a 1C in the league.

Strome was by in large very productive, but is RFA and it isn?t clear if he?s the right guy

Chytil seems better suited to playing on the wing, and isn?t really the type of player you normally look for in a 3C if he is unable moving forward to mature into a 2C roll.

The Rangers possess an abundance of young talent at the NHL level, an excellent pool of prospects, as well as an extra 1st round pick from which they can build a deal to acquire someone to fill that roll.

Any possible candidates you guys like for them to pursue?

Who are they?

Price to acquire?

All responses are welcome

Personally I?d love for them to take a hard run at Cirelli in Tampa. Their cap situation is tight and the flat cap makes it very hard for them to move out a contract to keep him or Sergachev.

RNH in Edmonton is interesting too if they can move out some salary. They have pieces to trade for him that could really help the Oilers.

Also Faksa in Dallas, though he is suited to 3C role, but we likely need that too.

Thoughts?

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want a strong 2 way center for 3rd/4th lines like Joel Eriksson Ek

Many teams are will be in a worse position for the expansion draft than the Rangers, which will make players like Eriksson Ek available for a modest price after the season. That leaves a one year deal with Strome followed by a pre-expansion draft deal for a center a good possible approach.

To be honest with you, my focus is first on LD unless a guy like Point can be had. That doesn't mean I would turn down a good deal for a guy like Cirelli. By all means, if it's there then go for it. But I'd make sure the assets are appropriated towards LD first.

I'd be fine with Strome for another season or two as 2C unless they can get one that is obviously better. Also buys time to see how Chytil progresses. He might also wind up being a wing - who knows. What I'm not fine with though is the soggy shit sandwich of Staal and Smith on the left side of our defense.

For the sake of this thread though, I'll offer up a few centers that I wouldn't mind them pursuing:

Sam Reinhart - Buffalo might be ready to shake things up. Not sure if they'd want futures or NHL players in return. He'd be our 2C so Strome becomes expendable or movable to RW (Panarin/Reinhart/Strome?)

Elias Lindholm - Long shot.

Boone Jenner - Not a 2C, but would love him here as a 3C. Chytil-Jenner-Fast is a legit 3rd line. Columbus has $5M in cap space and Dubois looking for a new deal. Perhaps they want the cap space to lock him up long term. We can offer some draft capital that they don't have and maybe a decent prospect. Picturing Lias Andersson being coached by Torts just made me chuckle (no, I don't think CBJ wants anything to do with him).

To be honest with you, my focus is first on LD unless a guy like Point can be had. That doesn't mean I would turn down a good deal for a guy like Cirelli. By all means, if it's there then go for it. But I'd make sure the assets are appropriated towards LD first.

I'd be fine with Strome for another season or two as 2C unless they can get one that is obviously better. Also buys time to see how Chytil progresses. He might also wind up being a wing - who knows. What I'm not fine with though is the soggy shit sandwich of Staal and Smith on the left side of our defense.

For the sake of this thread though, I'll offer up a few centers that I wouldn't mind them pursuing:

Sam Reinhart - Buffalo might be ready to shake things up. Not sure if they'd want futures or NHL players in return. He'd be our 2C so Strome becomes expendable or movable to RW (Panarin/Reinhart/Strome?)

Boone Jenner - Not a 2C, but would love him here as a 3C. Chytil-Jenner-Fast is a legit 3rd line. Columbus has $5M in cap space and Dubois looking for a new deal. Perhaps they want the cap space to lock him up long term. We can offer some draft capital that they don't have and maybe a decent prospect. Picturing Lias Andersson being coached by Torts just made be chuckle (no, I don't think CBJ wants anything to do with him).

Seeing Lias coached by Torts would be worth the price of admission.

I’d buy tickets to their practices if they sold them to see that

I like Logan Brown as a bottom 6 center. Has size and toughness that we need and some nice offensive talent as well.

I think the answer for #2 center is Robby Fabbri. Cheap to acquire, RFA with multiple years of control and a manageable cap hit and a game very well suited to succeed with Panarin. He's the best fit I think, just needs to stay healthy.

you can't just throw that statement without any explanation.

For starters, and I can’t emphasize this enough, Lias has no value right now and there isn’t much of any interest in him by any NHL team.

Dallas has very little cap room, isn’t recouping much this summer, and they have some guys they want to keep and can’t do that if they add Trouba’s cap hit.

Also, already big money in 2 defensemen in Klingberg and Lindell, and in 2 years they HAVE to pay Heiskanen.

Trouba being there would prevent that.

And I say all that without even acknowledging the fact that the Rangers aren’t trading Trouba a year after they sign him. Nor is anyone in the NHL lining up to take his contract, just as his no trade kicks in. Especially with a flat cap about to kick in too.

And this deal is nowhere near good value.

Whatever you think of Trouba, you’re trading him for a 3C and a low first?

The whole idea is nonsense

• Like 2

Boone Jenner - Not a 2C, but would love him here as a 3C. Chytil-Jenner-Fast is a legit 3rd line. Columbus has $5M in cap space and Dubois looking for a new deal. Perhaps they want the cap space to lock him up long term. We can offer some draft capital that they don't have and maybe a decent prospect. Picturing Lias Andersson being coached by Torts just made me chuckle (no, I don't think CBJ wants anything to do with him).

If they addressed the need at LD and kept Strome for a year as the 2C, I can live with that.

Someone else can start that thread though.

Miller will address the LD issues.

I have no doubt that they will try and rush him to the NHL, especially after raving about his post-covid camp, but I think he would benefit from at least a season in Hartford. I wouldn?t expect him to play all 82 games even if he does make it this coming season.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

For starters, and I can?t emphasize this enough, Lias has no value right now and there isn?t much of any interest in him by any NHL team.

Dallas has very little cap room, isn?t recouping much this summer, and they have some guys they want to keep and can?t do that if they add Trouba?s cap hit.

Also, already big money in 2 defensemen in Klingberg and Lindell, and in 2 years they HAVE to pay Heiskanen.

Trouba being there would prevent that.

And I say all that without even acknowledging the fact that the Rangers aren?t trading Trouba a year after they sign him. Nor is anyone in the NHL lining up to take his contract, just as his no trade kicks in. Especially with a flat cap about to kick in too.

And this deal is nowhere near good value.

Whatever you think of Trouba, you?re trading him for a 3C and a low first?

The whole idea is nonsense

But don?t you know, the rest of the league is made of idiots and would do any trade for the Rangers?

Yea, the youth movement is pretty much done at this point. All the dead weight is just about gone.

I'm actually liking the mix they've created, Vodka;

The Rangers have a few "Here and now" guys like Panarin, Kreider and Zibby who have good NHL experience, and now they've been able to add some good young talent to the mix like Kakko, Buchnevich, Chytil, and now the #1 pick overall....which very well should equate to Lafreniere.

This "rebuild", kinda reminds me of what Brian Cashman did with the Yankees, especially as how how relatively fast it's seeming to take shape. I'm really looking forward to Lafreniere though. In all the years I've been a Ranger fan, we've never really had our own "Franchise player".

Messier, who I absolutely loved when we got him, was originally Edmonton's, and Leetch was about the best I can remember us getting in the first round...but Lafreniere is going to be a superstar here...and I really can't wait to see him achieve it!!! :thumbs:

I'm actually liking the mix they've created, Vodka;

The Rangers have a few "Here and now" guys like Panarin, Kreider and Zibby who have good NHL experience, and now they've been able to add some good young talent to the mix like Kakko, Buchnevich, Chytil, and now the #1 pick overall....which very well should equate to Lafreniere.

This "rebuild", kinda reminds me of what Brian Cashman did with the Yankees, especially as how how relatively fast it's seeming to take shape. I'm really looking forward to Lafreniere though. In all the years I've been a Ranger fan, we've never really had our own "Franchise player".

Messier, who I absolutely loved when we got him, was originally Edmonton's, and Leetch was about the best I can remember us getting in the first round...but Lafreniere is going to be a superstar here...and I really can't wait to see him achieve it!!! :thumbs:

Lundqvist was our own Franchise player, unfortunately just in the wrong position.

Lundqvist was our own Franchise player, unfortunately just in the wrong position.

I hear ya man, I was just using first rounders as a guide. I think Hank was a pretty late round draft pick back then, that bloomed into a star. Lucky for us!!!

I always wanted our own Gretzky/Sid/Ovechkin type to draft #1