• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Draft Day Deals — Let's Hear 'Em

jsm7302

Don't think their system is top 10, but after this draft they definitely will be top 10 or top 5.

Scott Wheeler had them ranked 7th back in February (https://theathletic.com/1449623/2020/02/11/scott-wheelers-2020-nhl-prospect-pool-rankings/). Not much has changed since then. Even if Wheeler is off by a few, they are right in the mix for top 10.

1. Los Angeles Kings

2. Montreal Canadiens

3. Carolina Hurricanes

4. New York Rangers

5. Colorado Avalanche

6. Anaheim Ducks

7. Ottawa Senators

8. Philadelphia Flyers

9. Detroit Red Wings

10. Vegas Golden Knights

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scott Wheeler had them ranked 7th back in February (https://theathletic.com/1449623/2020/02/11/scott-wheelers-2020-nhl-prospect-pool-rankings/). Not much has changed since then. Even if Wheeler is off by a few, they are right in the mix for top 10.

Trade Deadline happened since then (team like Devils got some prospects from trades), bunch of teams signed some free agent Europeans and college free agents. So maybe they are top 10, maybe they are not.

I listened to the Blueshirts Breakaway pod on my way to work this morning.

They seemed to confirm the rumour that the team is sending season ticket holders ?Come see Lafreniere? stuff in their renewal campaign.

If that?s true, it would appear the chances of them trading the pick is 0%.

I listened to the Blueshirts Breakaway pod on my way to work this morning.

They seemed to confirm the rumour that the team is sending season ticket holders “Come see Lafreniere” stuff in their renewal campaign.

If that’s true, it would appear the chances of them trading the pick is 0%.

I listened to it tonight too. And I forget where, but I’d heard that elsewhere in the last week as well.

I agree with your 0% assessment

Yeah, I think someone in here mentioned it. I'm not even remotely interested in trading the pick, and like I've said before it's not happening for a myriad of reasons.

If it's true about the STH thing I do find it a bit strange though. No reason to do that, on the off chance a team completely lose their minds.

On the other hand, maybe the already know that nobody's going to pay what it'll cost.

Trade Deadline happened since then (team like Devils got some prospects from trades), bunch of teams signed some free agent Europeans and college free agents. So maybe they are top 10, maybe they are not.

Make a statement

Statement shown to be incorrect

Spin up a new narrative to put qualifiers that somehow make it see that initial statement wasn?t wrong.

You are exhausting. And wrong.

• Like 1

Back on topic:

I don't mind that Johansen proposal at all.. Even being a pro Kreider guy

I love the idea of Cirelli from a talent plus fucking over Tampa perspective.

Alex Kerfoot is another.. Give me 2 of those 3 and keep Chytil at Wing for good. Call it a day.

Back on topic:

I don't mind that Johansen proposal at all.. Even being a pro Kreider guy

I love the idea of Cirelli from a talent plus fucking over Tampa perspective.

Alex Kerfoot is another.. Give me 2 of those 3 and keep Chytil at Wing for good. Call it a day.

8m cap hit until 2025. Money wise I guess the extra 1.5m cap hit over Kreider isn’t terrible but man, if RJ regresses even more....do we want a reclamation project at 8m just because of his position?

I've said it elsewhere, but I want no part of RyJo, least of all for Kreider and a swap of firsts. He makes $8 million for the next FIVE years. He's twice in the last three seasons averaged 49.5 points over 82 games. If you are supremely confident playing with someone like Panarin (who I'm not sure he can keep up with given he can't skate all that well/quickly), I suppose you can mitigate that concern and simply assume his production rates will increase as a byproduct of his linemates, but I'll remind you: he's played with talented players in Nashville for the last three years, too.

Hynes basically turned him into a defensive/checking center (borne out by the disparity between his zone start differentials under Laviolette versus Hynes), but he's 28. I'm not sure how much runway is really left to realistically hope for a return to the 25-30 goal, 60-70 point player the Predators thought they were getting.

Ryan Johansen gets 8 million dollars for 5 more years to score 15 goals. That doesn't seem like a good use of cap space.

He's arguably not the goal-scorer he was when he was younger anymore, and could certainly be justified if he returned to being more of a playmaker. It's just an incredibly risky proposition given the years remaining on the deal. If he had a couple of seasons left, I'd be a lot less risk-averse about it.

8m cap hit until 2025. Money wise I guess the extra 1.5m cap hit over Kreider isn’t terrible but man, if RJ regresses even more....do we want a reclamation project at 8m just because of his position?

Agreed. Way too much $ for that much risk. With the flat cap there will be many bargains to be had for teams with cap space.

I wouldn't take Johansen without retention. If you're taking him on he at least needs to be brought down to $6.5M to match Kreider. That's at least palatable if he returns to the form that's been expected of him, not his Columbus production.

I would consider this, but Nashville would essentially be paying 8M to have Kreider (6.5 + 1.5 retention). I'm guessing they don't go for that. If you wanted it to happen, they might split the difference (750k retention).

Kreider @ 6.5 + 750k retention = 7.25 cap hit for Nashville.

Johansen @ 8M - 750k retention = 7.25 cap hit for NY.

That is a bit more palatable for both sides.

I just have a bad feeling that 5 years from now or even sooner it will be apparent that Lafreniere was not the best player in this draft. If Byfield is the next Malkin or Joe Thornton then we made a big mistake by not trading down.

Oh well. I'll worry about it then. No sense worrying about something that might happen in 5 years.

Link:

No worse than 24th. Calgary, Vancouver, Montreal, and the Islanders advancing would result in a higher selection.

You see this is why I'm confused. Calgary and Dallas are both currently ahead of our pick so one should move back either way. So we should be 23 right?