• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Draft Day Deals — Let's Hear 'Em

jsm7302

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep the pick. There's no trade I'd make. I want the 18 year old star on the entry level deal and the feeling of drafting a number one overall pick after a miracle lottery win. I wouldn't trade it for anything. We finally get to draft our own superstar so I'm definitely not trading it away to have to look at Jack Eichel's hideous face for 80+ games a year.

Nope from me. The benefit of getting a player like Lafreniere is that he's a cost-controlled asset who should be able to produce well. You need those to win championships. Eichel is just another expensive center to heap on top of Zibanejad who's in need of a deal in two seasons. I'm also just not sure why Buffalo would do this. Eichel is the franchise. Unless he asks to leave, why move him? Lafreniere brings them back to step one but at a weaker position.

A bit? He makes $8 million for the next five years for a "2nd line center" who scores less than Ryan Strome. Sorry, but hard pass. I'd sooner re-sign Strome short-term if that is the kind of long-term solution they're after. Least of all for Kreider.

If they want Cirelli, they should offer sheet him. Tampa is fucked cap-wise. Josh posted the cash range that would require a first- and third-rounder, I believe, or a first-, second-, and third-rounder. It's far more likely this route would be infinitely cheaper than a trade.

That's a good point.

There's virtually zero established 2C candidates anywhere.

Well, that depends entirely on your definition of a 2C and, more importantly, what you expect of them points-wise. They all offer something different, but off the top of my head, William Nylander (24), Cirelli (23), RNH (26), and others can likely be had for various prices. There are likely others in that tweener stage between 2–3C that we're not thinking of, too.

If they want Cirelli, they should offer sheet him. Tampa is fucked cap-wise. Josh posted the cash range that would require a first- and third-rounder, I believe, or a first-, second-, and third-rounder. It's far more likely this route would be infinitely cheaper than a trade.

I have a feeling though offer sheeting Cirelli would only cause them to trade away someone else and leave us with no one. I almost feel like if you approached them prior and put up the offer of Kravtsov and the 1st for Point you can see where they stand for either guy technically. Point is worth more than that for sure, but cap wise they are just a mess and so many of their contracts are untouchable. I have a feeling they would prefer Miller though since they have only 3 d under contract.

Offer sheet? No thank you. I'm not opening up that pandora's box. "Hey who wants to offer sheet Fox, Shesterkin, Kakko, or Lafreniere in a few years?" No thanks.

Well, that depends entirely on your definition of a 2C and, more importantly, what you expect of them points-wise. They all offer something different, but off the top of my head, William Nylander (24), Cirelli (23), RNH (26), and others can likely be had for various prices. There are likely others in that tweener stage between 2–3C that we're not thinking of, too.

RNH would make sense but he only has one year until UFA. I'm not sure how you'd make it happen and then pay him. Dude can cash in big next offseason as the top UFA C.

Offer sheet? No thank you. I'm not opening up that pandora's box. "Hey who wants to offer sheet Fox, Shesterkin, Kakko, or Lafreniere in a few years?" No thanks.

Great point although I didn’t really publicly hear much backlash at Montreal for offering Aho.

I have a feeling though offer sheeting Cirelli would only cause them to trade away someone else and leave us with no one. I almost feel like if you approached them prior and put up the offer of Kravtsov and the 1st for Point you can see where they stand for either guy technically. Point is worth more than that for sure, but cap wise they are just a mess and so many of their contracts are untouchable. I have a feeling they would prefer Miller though since they have only 3 d under contract.

Because teams are just going to line up and help them out with a flat cap to deal with of their own? Who's taking Killorn or Palat or whomever to help them clear cap for nothing?

Great point although I didn’t really publicly hear much backlash at Montreal for offering Aho.

Exactly. This is a "fear" that isn't actually founded in reality. What team has faced backlash for an offer sheet? Preds poach someone from the Flyers for Weber? Nope. Canes fire back at the Habs for Aho? Nope.

RNH would make sense but he only has one year until UFA. I'm not sure how you'd make it happen and then pay him. Dude can cash in big next offseason as the top UFA C.

Probably can't. And that's probably a key factor. He's on the tail end of that window they're likely looking for (23-26).

Exactly. This is a "fear" that isn't actually founded in reality. What team has faced backlash for an offer sheet? Preds poach someone from the Flyers for Weber? Nope. Canes fire back at the Habs for Aho? Nope.

Maybe it's safer to do against BriseBois. I would never have done it against Yzerman.

GM's need to quit being such pussies about the RFA market..

GM's had every opportunity in the world to get a guy locked up before he it the market for as a RFA, they should take the medicine for not getting the contract locked down.. The current reticence to pursue RFA's (Montreal being an outlier {Their offer was shit by the way, thay made it way too east to match}) is borderline collusion.

do we really want to be opening up potential Offer Sheet issues with this many RFA coming through the system?

do we really want to be opening up potential Offer Sheet issues with this many RFA coming through the system?

What issues? This is an unfounded fear. There's no evidence that teams that submit offer sheets to other clubs' RFAs face a backlash for it. Zero. Brian Burke threatening to beat the shit out of Kevin Lowe in a rented Alberta barn in 2007 is not evidence.