• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers "probably aren't looking at [Strome] as a long-term solution"

Phil

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bless you for enduring that pod.

I think this was obvious especially with the flat cap. You can't afford to pay a middling player like Strome to be your 2C with the cap being what it is. Thank you for your contributions, take a one year deal and enjoy UFA next year. He has an opportunity to be the second best center on the market after RNH, I'm sure he'd be willing to explore options after another good season alongside Panarin.

Rangers need to be very careful with how cap space gets spent. I don’t see long term good money deals with any of our current UFA/RFA. Maybe the market will be so dried up that they are back at a big bargain. It might mean a step back, but if we eventually get 3 or 4 steps ahead I am all for it.
  • Like 1

Rangers need to be very careful with how cap space gets spent. I don’t see long term good money deals with any of our current UFA/RFA. Maybe the market will be so dried up that they are back at a big bargain. It might mean a step back, but if we eventually get 3 or 4 steps ahead I am all for it.

Yeah, they cant go out and target a Eichel unless Zibanejad is going the other way.

I think the obvious move is Chytil (which I think is a bad move to make) but he ends up being the odd man out. He's not going to beat out Zibanejad or another top C they bring in. He's not beating out Kreider, Panarin, or Lafreneire on the left, he's behind Buchnevich, Kakko on the right, with Kravtsov being right there, and cost controlled longer.

We basically need a version of Strome who can actually backcheck/play in his own zone and doesn't take lazy penalties on a consistent basis. Is it too late for him to improve on those aspects? Feels like it.

The problem is you dont have enough muscle and physicality. Strome would be fine if they hard a 3rd and 4th line center that was tough & tough to play against.

I whined all season, they arent tough to play against. That's different from being a good hockey team.

Yeah, they cant go out and target a Eichel unless Zibanejad is going the other way.

I think the obvious move is Chytil (which I think is a bad move to make) but he ends up being the odd man out. He's not going to beat out Zibanejad or another top C they bring in. He's not beating out Kreider, Panarin, or Lafreneire on the left, he's behind Buchnevich, Kakko on the right, with Kravtsov being right there, and cost controlled longer.

I would trade Zibanejad in a deal for Eichel (Zib NMC so it doesn't matter anyway). I love Zib, but I fear the long term aspect given injury history. It's going to be a very tough decision to give him $10+M long term starting at almost 30 years old. They really shouldn't, but they might feel like they have to.

I would trade Zibanejad in a deal for Eichel (Zib NMC so it doesn't matter anyway). I love Zib, but I fear the long term aspect given injury history. It's going to be a very tough decision to give him $10+M long term starting at almost 30 years old. They really shouldn't, but they might feel like they have to.

But does that trade solve anything?

At some point you have to trust the players you drafted and already have here. Eichel would be nice but at 10m when eventually you assume Kakko, Laf, Shesh all defintely will get major contract bumps. You have to just hope that Ziby is willing to take slightly less to stay here. Kreider did whether we like the deal or not. He would have gotten more on the open market.

The only way Eichel makes any sense is in place of Zibanejad, not in addition to him. That's $20+ million in your top-two centers, you're talking about. Good luck signing anyone else (like Lafreniere, Kakko, Shesterkin, and Fox) long-term.

Legit the only person I’d trade the 1st over is MacKinnon and they would never do it. His cap hit and what he is makes him so appealing.

Really wish there was an option to see if Laf or Kakko can play C but that just isn’t happening.

Not the problem you are talking about, no. But it solves the impending decision coming up on Zibanejad.

The guy just put up 40 goals in a shortened season and led the league in goals-per-game. There is no impending decision.

The guy just put up 40 goals in a shortened season and led the league in goals-per-game. There is no impending decision.

He did, and it was also one year of that level of production. A lot can happen in 2 years, including regression, injury, concussions, etc., combined with the potential for Lafreniere and Kakko to look like high $ contracts next.

Whether we like it or not, the addition of Lafreniere will likely force difficult decisions elsewhere with respect to the cap. Zibanejad is not a lock to be here in 3 years.