• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers "probably aren't looking at [Strome] as a long-term solution"

Phil

I sense a rare consensus among posters: one year deal for Strome and then thank you for your services. I'm all for creative trades involving Strome, ADA and Georgiev, but their contract issues make them difficult for trade partners just as they do for us.

2 year deal.

Enjoy Seattle!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any Eichel deal that doesn't include at least one of Fox or Kakko isn't realistic and would be laughed at were it actually pitched.

If the Rangers were attempting for him now, for example, the offer that likely starts the conversation is something like Zibanejad (Sabres need a comparable C to play now), Kakko, Lundkvist, 2021 first, conditional second.

Thats too much. A 1C (thats not much worse than Eichel, but some years older), a #2OA pick that will be a top 6 and potential first line RW, one of the best D prospects outside the NHL who's almost a lock to be a NHL player with top pair upside, AND a 1st and a 2nd?

This, 100%.

Here's the list of Zibanejad-circa-2016-esque centers out there right now

Hertl is an interesting fit. What with everything going on in Florida - they'd be nuts to do it - but Barkov? I'd stand by offer-sheeting PLD or Barzal as a wise move now that we've lucked into Lafranchise.

Agreed on Hertl. Domi could be a buy-low option given his struggles in Montreal of late. Tierney and Dvorak also interest me, though I'm not sure Dvorak is as attainable.

This, 100%.

Here's the list of Zibanejad-circa-2016-esque centers out there right now

Hertl is an interesting fit. What with everything going on in Florida - they'd be nuts to do it - but Barkov? I'd stand by offer-sheeting PLD or Barzal as a wise move now that we've lucked into Lafranchise.

Barkov's contract is up at the same time as Zibanejad, though. That's risky.

I could see PLD offer sheet, not so much with Barzal. I also wouldnt list any of these three as Zibanejad-circa-2016-esque center comparisons. That'd be almost like Bjugstad or Trocheck - guys that had the skill, but couldnt get it all going consistently. You know, like Brassard or Ryan Strome. More of a change-of-scenery than trying to get younger.

If you are offer sheeting someone, its Cirelli. Tampa cant afford shit, and they are going to have a heck of a time moving any of the NTC contracts they have. 6.2x5y is 1st + 3rd. He's one of the best middle 6 forwards out there, and 23 years old.

Barkov's contract is up at the same time as Zibanejad, though. That's risky.

I could see PLD offer sheet, not so much with Barzal. I also wouldnt list any of these three as Zibanejad-circa-2016-esque center comparisons. That'd be almost like Bjugstad or Trocheck - guys that had the skill, but couldnt get it all going consistently. You know, like Brassard or Ryan Strome. More of a change-of-scenery than trying to get younger.

If you are offer sheeting someone, its Cirelli. Tampa cant afford shit, and they are going to have a heck of a time moving any of the NTC contracts they have. 6.2x5y is 1st + 3rd. He's one of the best middle 6 forwards out there, and 23 years old.

Fine by me.

Somebody out of Panarin/Zibanejad/Lafreniere/Kakko will have to go if they all end up 10+ million dollar players. It's really that simple.
IMO Kakko will never get to that too tier echelon with his skating.

Thinking he tops out at Landeskog type numbers.

Any Eichel deal that doesn't include at least one of Fox or Kakko isn't realistic and would be laughed at were it actually pitched.

If the Rangers were attempting for him now, for example, the offer that likely starts the conversation is something like Zibanejad (Sabres need a comparable C to play now), Kakko, Lundkvist, 2021 first, conditional second.

Just goes to show that if you ever get a shot to get one of those special players (Laf?) you have to be overwhelmed not to take it.

• Like 1

Gorton has to move him at the draft or give him a 2yr deal. If we give him a 1yr deal and we're headed to the playoffs there's no way

there moving him at the deadline and then we lose him for nothing in the offseason. If we make sure he has 1 yr left after next yr then we can move him for something.

Gorton has to move him at the draft or give him a 2yr deal. If we give him a 1yr deal and we're headed to the playoffs there's no way

there moving him at the deadline and then we lose him for nothing in the offseason. If we make sure he has 1 yr left after next yr then we can move him for something.

This post didn't necessitate a new thread. I've moved it here where we've already had a recent discussion about Strome. Please try and look at the other thread titles before starting a new thread.

I think i'd be fine with Cirelli save for one thing. If what he is doing is product of his environment rather than reflection of himself, we are really putting a lot of money into something that doesnt pan out. I think though you may have an easier time trading with them to get the guy rather than offer sheeting him. I think though they may be willing to move Pointe rather than Cirelli just because of the money he makes and figuring they can get more out of Cirelli for less cap hit. Likely he is going to agree to the area of 4m per right now as a bridge.

Point for Carolinas 1st + Kravtsov. Something like that. Point goes RFA at the same time Mika goes UFA so you make your "franchise" decision then as to which one is a keeper or not. Likely you buy a bit more time with Point than you do with Zivy because of age and contract status.

I think i'd be fine with Cirelli save for one thing. If what he is doing is product of his environment rather than reflection of himself, we are really putting a lot of money into something that doesnt pan out. I think though you may have an easier time trading with them to get the guy rather than offer sheeting him. I think though they may be willing to move Pointe rather than Cirelli just because of the money he makes and figuring they can get more out of Cirelli for less cap hit. Likely he is going to agree to the area of 4m per right now as a bridge.

Point for Carolinas 1st + Kravtsov. Something like that. Point goes RFA at the same time Mika goes UFA so you make your "franchise" decision then as to which one is a keeper or not. Likely you buy a bit more time with Point than you do with Zivy because of age and contract status.

I mentioned a DeAngelo for Point swap in another thread recently. Tampa's right side defense is junk, and DeAngelo's AAV will be less than Point's so the Lightning will even save a little against the cap. Might cost a little more than DeAngelo from the Ranger's side.

Move Strome and/or Buchnevich out for a decent LD afterwards.

I mentioned a DeAngelo for Point swap in another thread recently. Tampa's right side defense is junk, and DeAngelo's AAV will be less than Point's so the Lightning will even save a little against the cap. Might cost a little more than DeAngelo from the Ranger's side.

Move Strome out for a decent LD afterwards.

Does Tampa take DeAngelo back, though? They moved on from him years ago and he doesn't really address a need beyond being on the right side. Hedman and Sergachev already play on the powerplay for them. I guess he can replace Shattenkirk but Point is a steep price to pay for that.

Does Tampa take DeAngelo back, though? They moved on from him years ago and he doesn't really address a need beyond being on the right side. Hedman and Sergachev already play on the powerplay for them. I guess he can replace Shattenkirk but Point is a steep price to pay for that.

Maybe, maybe not. Yzerman was the GM at the time and the current GM, BriseBois, was an assistant. Who knows how he felt about it then or feels about it now though. If open to it, DeAngelo and Carolina's 1st has to be in the vicinity no?

Maybe, maybe not. Yzerman was the GM at the time and the current GM, BriseBois, was an assistant. Who knows how he felt about it then or feels about it now though. If open to it, DeAngelo and Carolina's 1st has to be in the vicinity no?

I think it would still fall a little short. Probably something more like DeAngelo, Kravtsov, Carolina 1st, and maybe another throw-in. I would make that trade without batting an eye, but I'm still not sure if DeAngelo addresses what Tampa needs plus he's in need of a new contract. Sergachev also needs a new deal.

• 5 weeks later...
It is not as if the Rangers would be unable to live next season with Ryan Strome doing a reprise of his role, but the impending restricted free agent center with arbitration rights is just a year away from being eligible to hit the open market. A long-term arrangement is not likely. Hence, the Rangers are open for business.

Before identifying an individual target, management needs to identify the type of second-line center they?re seeking. Are they in the market for another high-end skill guy to fit among a passel of top-six options on the wing ? including Artemi Panarin, Kaapo Kakko, Chris Kreider, Pavel Buchnevich and, presumably, Alexis Lafreniere? Or are they seeking a sturdier, physically imposing, two-way center in the mold of a Jordan Staal? This year?s postseason tournament has only reinforced the fact that you can?t prance down the yellow brick road and expect to make it all the way to Oz.

And, because of future considerations regarding the pending negotiations with Mika Zibanejad next offseason in advance of potential 2022 free agency, the Blueshirts will need to acquire a center who is either on his entry-level deal or early on a controllable second deal. That?s a fine needle to thread.

If they can?t do it, there should be no rush. Upper-echelon players will become unexpectedly available over the offseason (and into next season) because of the cash crunch every team will experience. It would make sense for the Rangers, who are going to be in a stress position because of the significant amount of dead space on the ledger, to be in position to pick them off.

https://nypost.com/2020/09/12/nils-lundkvist-dilemma-pushing-rangers-to-trade-tony-deangelo/

I wonder what they think of Chytil internally. Do they project him as that 2nd line center eventually? I wonder if he have a similar projection to Kevin Hayes.

He's still 2 years younger than Hayes was when entering the NHL.

Chytil's in a tough spot really. I'd like to see him line up at 3C, having a good LW, and see what he can do.

The problem is, if you are going Z-Strome-Chytil-Howden, that's pretty weak down the middle defensively.

If you move him to 2C, move Strome... if Chytil doesnt pan out, you go with Howden at 2C?

My approach would be going into the season slotting him at 3C. He's gotta step it up or he's probably trade bait. If he plays well, that could mean Buchnevich is traded. Strome or Chytil can play RW in top 6, or Strome moves down to the third line.

Chytil's in a tough spot really. I'd like to see him line up at 3C, having a good LW, and see what he can do.

The problem is, if you are going Z-Strome-Chytil-Howden, that's pretty weak down the middle defensively.

If you move him to 2C, move Strome... if Chytil doesnt pan out, you go with Howden at 2C?

My approach would be going into the season slotting him at 3C. He's gotta step it up or he's probably trade bait. If he plays well, that could mean Buchnevich is traded. Strome or Chytil can play RW in top 6, or Strome moves down to the third line.

I think this is about right.

We're really not used to seeing a 21 year old with 3 years experience in the NHL. That's weird for us - we're thinking "third year, gotta get it going", not "Dude is 20 and had a 23 point season in an abbreviated year".

What's a "good year" for a 21 year old center? Is it 40 points? 50?

Yeah he's younger but he plays a similar game to Hayes when Hayes first got here. Not physical at all but clearly has some skill. I think Chytil is the perfect candidate to be patient with. "Step it up or your trade bait" for a 20 year old isn't really in keeping with the rebuild. I think Chytil is a long play. He might not really make his mark until hes 23 or 24.

I'm all for upgrading Strome, but I hope the Rangers don't lose faith in Chytil.

Yeah he's younger but he plays a similar game to Hayes when Hayes first got here. Not physical at all but clearly has some skill. I think Chytil is the perfect candidate to be patient with. "Step it up or your trade bait" for a 20 year old isn't really in keeping with the rebuild. I think Chytil is a long play. He might not really make his mark until hes 23 or 24.

I'm all for upgrading Strome, but I hope the Rangers don't lose faith in Chytil.

If he's playing 3C and hasnt made any progress, if the team needs to add a piece for a big playoff run, yes, he'd be a big asset going the other way. Him or Buch, really. I don't want either traded, but that's the business.

If he's playing 3C and hasnt made any progress, if the team needs to add a piece for a big playoff run, yes, he'd be a big asset going the other way. Him or Buch, really. I don't want either traded, but that's the business.

Buch is 25 though. I don't know if he's really going to upgrade his game all that much from here on out. Chytil still has a few years before we figure out what kind of player he is. That's all I'm saying.

• Like 1

$1,395,053 or below: No compensation required

$1,395,054 to $2,113,716: Third-round pick

$2,113,717 to $4,227,437: Second-round pick

$4,227,438 to $6,341,152: First-round pick plus a third-round pick

$6,341,153 to $8,454,871: First, second, and third-round picks

$8,454,872 to $10,568,589: Two first-round picks plus second and third-round picks

$10,568,590 and over: Four first-round picks

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

$1,395,053 or below: No compensation required

$1,395,054 to $2,113,716: Third-round pick

$2,113,717 to $4,227,437: Second-round pick

$4,227,438 to $6,341,152: First-round pick plus a third-round pick

$6,341,153 to $8,454,871: First, second, and third-round picks

$8,454,872 to $10,568,589: Two first-round picks plus second and third-round picks

$10,568,590 and over: Four first-round picks

All draft picks must be from the team that gets the player to sign the offer sheet; selections from other teams cannot be substituted.