• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers "probably aren't looking at [Strome] as a long-term solution"

Phil

I would disagree and say they absolutely figure out a way to ensure he's here long term assuming he wants to be here.

Half the fan base was skeptical about giving 27 year old Panarin 7 years because of age. Half the fan base didn't want to give 29 year old Kreider 6.5M over 7 years because of age. It doesn't seem like a no brainer to give 10-12M per on a 7-8 yr contract for Zib starting at 29.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve said for a while that I really wish the NHL had some sort of cap franchise player exemption. One player, had to be drafted by said team, where his cap hit is excused. Sort of like a franchise tag but with other stipulations like he has to be paid in the top 10%, if traded both teams absorb his cap hit split, can only be used once for that player for a max of 4 or so years, and must be issued before his ufa year Yet can roll into ufa period. Likely it gets used on a player on his last contract before ufa. It’s almost as if u draft well, develop stars from within, you literally could never afford to keep a team together. At least some system where one player is exempt it helps somewhat keep a team together without it creating a monopoly.

Nobody knows what the cap will be in a few years. Nobody knows what the flat cap will do to long term huge money deals going forward. If we can avoid NMC on contracts that is a way to keep our options open. If we want to take a shot and extend Zib now maybe we get a discount? Too much uncertainty, but I am being real careful before signing any marginal guys long term.

Managing contracts is as important as adding talent.

Somebody out of Panarin/Zibanejad/Lafreniere/Kakko will have to go if they all end up 10+ million dollar players. It's really that simple.

Yes probably, let's see Laf and especially Kakko get there first. It's probably fair but taboo to say Panarin's deal may hurt the last year or two as well, it's how it works. I'm just hoping they can seriously challenge for a cup in the next few years while they manage the cap as best they can. No doubt though there's going to be some casualties along the way, I just don't see Zib being one of them. I could be wrong.

Nobody knows what the cap will be in a few years. Nobody knows what the flat cap will do to long term huge money deals going forward. If we can avoid NMC on contracts that is a way to keep our options open. If we want to take a shot and extend Zib now maybe we get a discount? Too much uncertainty, but I am being real careful before signing any marginal guys long term.

Managing contracts is as important as adding talent.

IIRC you cant extend Zib now since he has multiple years left. I believe you can only do that in the final year of his contract.

I think for a Eichel type you have to include one of Kakko or at least fox

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Any Eichel deal that doesn't include at least one of Fox or Kakko isn't realistic and would be laughed at were it actually pitched.

If the Rangers were attempting for him now, for example, the offer that likely starts the conversation is something like Zibanejad (Sabres need a comparable C to play now), Kakko, Lundkvist, 2021 first, conditional second.

IIRC you cant extend Zib now since he has multiple years left. I believe you can only do that in the final year of his contract.

Correct. "January" of the final year. Or whatever the hell that might be with the shifted seasons.

Strome is a fine option. He had a great year. But the problem with Strome is Chytil. They're basically the same player, just a few years apart. Neither of them are particularly hard to play against, neither are particularly dynamic, and the fact of the matter is that Chytil is cheaper and could potentially grow into one of those categories while Strome basically is what he is.

I sense a rare consensus among posters: one year deal for Strome and then thank you for your services. I'm all for creative trades involving Strome, ADA and Georgiev, but their contract issues make them difficult for trade partners just as they do for us.

In the future, we may simply not be able to keep some player who would otherwise make $9-10m, and it's going to be hard to swallow when it happens. Chicago somehow managed to maintain its stars while trading other valuable pieces for a while, and won three cups, but in the end, they still had their stars and a non-playoff team.

Off course, I'd take three cups in six years followed by out of the playoffs.

There actually may be a slew of short-term solutions coming via buyout or RFAs not given qualifying offers due to the flat cap. For sure, they should wait it out a while longer.

This, 100%.

Here's the list of Zibanejad-circa-2016-esque centers out there right now

Hertl is an interesting fit. What with everything going on in Florida - they'd be nuts to do it - but Barkov? I'd stand by offer-sheeting PLD or Barzal as a wise move now that we've lucked into Lafranchise.

I sense a rare consensus among posters: one year deal for Strome and then thank you for your services. I'm all for creative trades involving Strome, ADA and Georgiev, but their contract issues make them difficult for trade partners just as they do for us.

These are all good options and possibilities to look at and consider. And they don’t need to answer the question right now.