• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

How Will Dubas Handle Maple Leafs' Offseason?

Phil

In Toronto’s case, here’s the reality: There’ve been changes to the group (Tavares being the biggest), but it’s had four chances to win a series the last three seasons with two general managers and two head coaches. They are 0-for-4 in those games.

The results must change or the front office will.

The Maple Leafs have more flexibility than some realize. Nylander’s actual cash payments drop below his cap hit the next four seasons, Kasperi Kapanen’s for the next two. (My understanding of the post-signing no-trade promise to Nylander was that it was intended to be solely in the immediate aftermath of the agreement.) In 2021–22, Andreas Johnsson and Alex Kerfoot join that list. That has value in a tight-cap, tight-cash world. Toronto will test the market to see what dance partners pop up.

Marner, Matthews and Tavares also get there in another season, but let’s be realistic. Matthews (Toronto’s best player in the series) and Tavares aren’t going anywhere. In the aftermath of the defeat, there were rumours Marner could be moved, but I’d be surprised. There’s some paranoia around him (but not necessarily from him) that creates noise around the winger. Over the years, I’ve learned that what you hear about him, and what the organization actually thinks about him, may not be the same thing.

One thing I do know about Marner is the Maple Leafs were very proud to make him their nominee for the King Clancy Trophy. There’s a significant community involvement component to the award, and the Leafs are impressed at how available he made himself, especially after a difficult contract negotiation. Apparently, he was an easy choice. So, when someone says the Leafs don’t like him, toss that in the garbage.

There’s a Frederik Andersen decision due, too. He’s one year from unrestricted free agency, and there are several uncertain goaltending situations — Chicago, Edmonton, Minnesota, Pittsburgh, Vancouver, Washington among them. The list of unsigned No. 1s (or good No. 2s) is strong.

The other question to ask is this: If the Maple Leafs believe this group needs a change, do they also believe their style needs a change? There are whispers Dubas considered some things around the trade deadline that, as one executive said, fans and media “wouldn’t have expected” from him. One of those was Kyle Clifford, who he knows well. But I think there were more.

I can’t see him entirely changing his belief that Toronto should play a certain way, but I can see him modifying it. Someone else with some bite is coming, and I’d guess it’s on the blue line. (Mark Borowiecki? Radko Gudas? Who knows.)

2. It may depend on what happens with Spezza, because I don’t know if you can have both of them, but I think Joe Thornton will be on Toronto’s radar, too. Not the first time I’ve predicted it, but someday I might actually be right.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-will-dubas-handle-maple-leafs-off-season/

Leafs are in trouble. Bad goalie. Bad D. And 4 forwards making 50% of the cap. Not great.

Bad.. Goalie?

I agree though, they need to change the identity of the team but they're cap tied to the 4 guys that drive that identity and just hired the coach that reinforces it. It's beautiful, but then I remember we're pretty much the same thing.

Leafs are in trouble. Bad goalie. Bad D. And 4 forwards making 50% of the cap. Not great.

Nah, there are a million exit routes available. Nylander, Kapanen, Johnsson, and Kerfoot are all players with high trade value who can be used to acquire whomever they deem is a better fit to alter their culture.

Bad.. Goalie?

I agree though, they need to change the identity of the team but they're cap tied to the 4 guys that drive that identity and just hired the coach that reinforces it. It's beautiful, but then I remember we're pretty much the same thing.

Freddie ain't the guy. Maybe he could do better behind a better D, but this season exposed him as someone who just isn't good enough to win.

Nah, there are a million exit routes available. Nylander, Kapanen, Johnsson, and Kerfoot are all players with high trade value who can be used to acquire whomever they deem is a better fit to alter their culture.

They can fiddle on the margins, but nothing is going to change. The boss is an Excel nerd, the coach isn't far behind, and the leadership group are all offensive, possession driven players to the extreme. It's a soft group from the top down. Giving Kyle Clifford 8 minutes a night doesn't alter that.

Freddie ain't the guy. Maybe he could do better behind a better D, but this season exposed him as someone who just isn't good enough to win.

He was prone to clunkers this year, but he's one season removed from being extremely fantastic.

They can fiddle on the margins, but nothing is going to change. The boss is an Excel nerd, the coach isn't far behind, and the leadership group are all offensive, possession driven players to the extreme. It's a soft group from the top down. Giving Kyle Clifford 8 minutes a night doesn't alter that.

Those "margins" are wider than you give them credit for. Not that this is on the table, because it pretty clearly isn't, but if you can flip Nylander in a deal for someone like Tom Wilson, that instantly changes their makeup on the same "margins," but affects the fundamental structure of their team. In the same way trading Kadri (stupid) did.

Maybe, but they're more than one Tom Wilson away, and that's the supreme example of that ilk. There only one Tom Wilson. Kadri is fucking awesome, and that trade goes a long way, in my mind, to where the FO mindset is at.

Leaf radio callers here ask things like "We should move Marner or Nylander for Seth Jones"

Hahaha. Dream on.

Andersen is the least of their problems. He's had a few hiccups but he's been very very good. Based on your expectations, he'd need to have a Vezina caliber season every year for them to win.

I don't want to get too down on the Leafs, because we look a bit like them.

Rangers/Panthers/Leafs all play similar game, and all suck donkey balls.

Which is unfortunate, because it's also very beautiful at times, and is really funnnn to watch.

No, the team isn't good enough to win. For all the reasons you love to watch them.

Andersen is the least of their problems. He's had a few hiccups but he's been very very good. Based on your expectations, he'd need to have a Vezina caliber season every year for them to win.

He was prone to clunkers this year, but he's one season removed from being extremely fantastic.

Right, he was pretty bad this year, especially in big moments. This is four years in a row of playoff failure, and he hasn't exactly been great in the playoffs either - good regular season or not.

The problem is he has one year left on his contract and he's 30 now. There's absolutely no reason they should sign him given the money that he will probably command and the Leafs' cap situation. So they can either have another lame duck season with him, with no intention to re-sign, or they can try to trade him and address the goaltending situation in another way.

The days of him being their long-term goaltending solution went out the window this season when he blew chunks night-in and night-out.

Right, he was pretty bad this year, especially in big moments. This is four years in a row of playoff failure, and he hasn't exactly been great in the playoffs either - good regular season or not.

The problem is he has one year left on his contract and he's 30 now. There's absolutely no reason they should sign him given the money that he will probably command and the Leafs' cap situation. So they can either have another lame duck season with him, with no intention to re-sign, or they can try to trade him and address the goaltending situation in another way.

The days of him being their long-term goaltending solution went out the window this season when he blew chunks night-in and night-out.

Friedman noted on the latest 31 Thoughts pod he thinks this is exactly what they'll do.

Friedman noted on the latest 31 Thoughts pod he thinks this is exactly what they'll do.

Which makes sense, because who's in the market for a 31 year old goaltender on an expiring contract?

But it's not a great situation, unless he gets some sort of inspiration to play for a contract. But I just don't see how they can ever re-sign him unless they shed a massive contract or two.

I keep writing posts in this thread and deleting them because I simply can't put my finger on what the fuck is wrong with this organization. The talent that they have, even their holes mean they aren't a cup team, should at least be able to win a fuckin series, even a 5 game one that technically doesn't even count.

there's something systematically wrong with them. There's something beyond a hole on defense here, or a hole in the bottom 6 there.

I keep writing posts in this thread and deleting them because I simply can't put my finger on what the fuck is wrong with this organization. The talent that they have, even their holes mean they aren't a cup team, should at least be able to win a fuckin series, even a 5 game one that technically doesn't even count.

there's something systematically wrong with them. There's something beyond a hole on defense here, or a hole in the bottom 6 there.

Their defense is more than "a hole". It's a group that has a couple of offense producers, but is ultimately terrible at actually playing defense.

They gave up more goals than the Rangers, so that should tell you something.

It's the ultimate proof of why you don't run orgs based on one set of stats and not a full picture.

It's not been a secret as to the weakness of this team, everyone knows it's the defensive part of the game.

What's does Dubas do? John Tavares and Tyson Barrie... And keeps both Marner and Nylander.

Complete definition of insanity. Do the same thing, hope for different results.

Bad.. Goalie?

Freddie is average at best. He generally gives up one softie a game. If they want to win playoff rounds, or even make a deep run, they'll need to find someone who can save a few he's not supposed to save.

If you listen to overdrive at all, they talk about their arrogance all the time. I mean those are all young kids getting a fuckload of money and they RUN Toronto. They really do. But they haven't won shit, so they're paid like champions at the age of 22 with nothing to prove that they are.

If you listen to overdrive at all, they talk about their arrogance all the time. I mean those are all young kids getting a fuckload of money and they RUN Toronto. They really do. But they haven't won shit, so they're paid like champions at the age of 22 with nothing to prove that they are.

They're paid what the market says they are worth though. There are players all over the league paid boatloads of cash that haven't won anything.